Lost and Delirious
is a film about a young, naïve heterosexual girl named Mary or "Mouse" (Mischa Barton) who moves in to boarding school with a couple of Schoolgirl Lesbians
who are involved in an intimate relationship. The story follows Mouse's attempts to understand their relationship and adult sexuality and also follows the struggles Paulie (Piper Perabo) and Tori (Jessica Paré) have as a lesbian couple at an all-girls private school. When Tori's little sister catches them together, Tori throws herself into a relationship with a guy and Paulie desperately tries to win her back.
Based (with some serious adaptations) on Canadian author Susan Swan's novel ''The Wives of Bath''
- Adaptation Explanation Extrication: Paulie's change in dress is a clear parallel to her counterpart's other identity as Lewis in "The Wives of Bath", as are many of her other actions and their results.
- A Date with Rosie Palms: Mouse does it in the book.
- All Men Are Perverts: Heavily implied with Jake and his friend.
- Blatant Lies: Paulie's stated reason for why she and Tori tend to end up naked in Tori's bed is that Tori has awful nightmares and that she's trying to comfort her. The first time she used this excuse, the person she's telling it to (Mary) already knows what's going on, and the second time the people she tells it to (Tori's sister and her friends) don't believe her
- Boarding School: Mouse, Tori, and Paulie attend one. In the book, it was more of a Boarding School of Horrors, but the film version is fairly ordinary.
- Brain Bleach: The reaction of Tori's sister when she catches Paulie and Tori in bed together. Tori's family is very conservative and prudish, finding homosexuality abominable.
- Canada, Eh?: Where the film is set, presumably, according to the reference to McGill University. the Toronto Blue Jays, and several characters' accents.
- Cultured Badass: Paulie is an expert fencer with a trained falcon and a tendency to quote Shakespeare
- Downer Ending
- Driven to Suicide: Paulie.
- The Film of the Book: see above.
- Gayngst: Tori realizes and admits twice (to Mary and Paulie herself) that her love for Paulie is something she's not likely to ever experience again. However, she cannot bear to face rejection from her parents and her peers, and so she pretends/forces herself to be straight in order to avoid the rejection
- Girls Love: Paulie and Tori.
- If It's You, It's Okay: Paulie claims that she and Tori are not lesbians but are simply in love with each other.
- Innocent Bystander: Tori.
- Jerk Ass: Tori's sister and father onscreen, and her mother offscreen. Mary's stepmother is no prize either.
- Lighter and Softer: Paulie is just a Psycho Lesbian in the movie. In the book, however, she's far worse.
- Lipstick Lesbian: Tori, Paulie to a lesser extent especially when she tries to become more masculine to get Tori back.
- Love Triangle: Paulie/Tori/Jake.
- Nice Girl: Mary, who at times is Paulie's only friend and the Secret Keeper to both her and Tori, and who obviously cares deeply for both of them. Another of Tori's friends, upon hearing the rumor about Paulie and Tori, makes a pretty obvious hint to Tori that if Tori were gay it would be fine with her, which Tori unfortunately ignores
- No Bisexuals: Hard to tell. It is never explicitly stated whether or not Tori enjoys her relationship with Jake.
- One-Gender School: The school they all attend.
- Pragmatic Adaptation: Several peripheral characters from the book (and Paulie being a murderer) were removed, for example.
- Schoolgirl Lesbians: Paulie and Tori.
- Secret Relationship: What Paulie and Tori have in the beginning.
- Shout-Out: Paulie loves quoting Shakespeare, specifically Twelfth Night (the "willow cabin" speech she delivers to Tori in the library), Macbeth (the speech from Lady Macbeth about her blood turning to gall), and Antony and Cleopatra (the speech about what love is)
- Single-Target Sexuality:
Paulie: you think I'm a LESBIAN?
Mouse: You're a girl in love with a girl, aren't you?
Paulie: No! I'm PAULIE in love with TORI. Remember? And Tori, she is, she IS in love with me because she is mine and I am hers and neither of us are LESBIANS!
- Stalker with a Crush: Paulie arguably becomes one of these, obsessing over Tori and crawling on top of her in bed while she's asleep.
- Star-Crossed Lovers: Paulie and Tori.
- Unknown Rival: Jake has no idea why Paulie hates him. It's because they're into the same girl.
- Wall Bang Her: Tree. Tree bang.