In short, where a character has sex with another against a wall, usually with both lovers facing each other. One of the most common sex positions in films and television shows, as it can be worked into almost any setting and avoids the need for nudity, thereby allowing the scene to pass with a lower content-censorship rating. It is also an excellent way of driving home just how passionate the affair is, since it's a popular position when one or both parties are cheating. In Real Life
, this is not as easy as it looks
: holding someone up against a wall can get tiresome fast, and the person doing the wall-banging runs the risk of dropping their poor partner.
Not to be confused with that one Darth Wiki page
or Right Through the Wall
(though overlap with the latter is obviously possible
). Often includes Right Through His Pants
open/close all folders
Anime and Manga
- Futari Ecchi: The titular couple get to try this position in their bedroom adventures.
- Sensual Phrase has one. It comes from the epilogue, as the married Aine and Sakuya have impromptu sex while their kid, Shion, is napping in the nearby room.
- Haou Airen also has Hakuron and Kurumi doing this...but it's up against a door, and Fuoron's on the other side.
- Kurono and Sei do this at the end of episode 15 and begining of episode 16 of Gantz.
- Berserk: While not against a wall, Guts and Casca have sex against a tree for the better half of it.
- In One Piece, a naked Nami gets pinned against the wall of the bath she's in by Absalom, who has the clear intention of raping her. It doesn't go much further, however.
- Between Yorick and Beth toward the end in Y: The Last Man.
- In Preacher when Jesse and Tulip reunite and reconcile after escaping his psychotic family (and explaining why he left her in the process). The motel manager has to ask them to calm it down; Jesse just hands him some cash and tells him not to bother them again.
- There exists at least one Fullmetal Alchemist Yaoi doujinshi that feature Ed and Roy doing this, justified by the fact that Ed is depicted as much smaller than Roy in this particular artist's work, meaning he would be pretty easy to lift (It also uses Right Through His Pants with Roy). It's by the artist Daen. This is quite common in Daen's works.
- This sex position is actually pretty popular in all kinds of hentai mangas and dj's.
- Sokka and Azula's sex scene in How I Became Yours. Well, more like "rock bang her" since they're outdoors, but the rock acts as a wall.
- In a The Transformers fanfic titled Sent of Lust, Scourge does this to Arcee.
- In another The Transformers fanfic titled A Warm Welcome, Megatron does this to the OC (Original Character) Decepticon Femme.
- In the Katawa Shoujo fic Weekend at Hisao's, Hisao does this with his girlfriend Shizune.
- American Gangster: Richie gets interrupted in one of these by a call from the morgue.
- In The Godfather, Sonny Corlene is in the middle of one of these during his sister's wedding, of all times. With his sister's best friend and bridesmaid. While his wife is with his mother outside. (And probably fathering Vincent Mancini, Andy Garcia's character in Part III, in the process.)
- At the beginning of The Shawshank Redemption.
- Used in Thank You For Smoking. In three different rooms during the same visit.
- Occurs in a shower sex scene in The Kentucky Fried Movie. The woman (Uschi Digard) is pressed up against the glass wall of the shower, so her breasts are comically squashed.
- Used in the movie Step Brothers by John C. Reilly and somebody else's wife. Played with when they accidentally burst through the door into the room where the family is having dinner, and explain it as a massage. Played with again when they burst through the door a second time when the wife is facing towards Reilly, and no one seems to notice. Note: The husband of the wife being wallbanged was having dinner with the family.
- In Elizabeth a lady-in-waiting gets this treatment while wearing a Pimped-Out Dress she "borrowed" from the queen. That happens to be poisoned. Hope the sex was good.
- We Don't Live Here Anymore features not one, but two scenes of Mark Ruffalo banging Naomi Watts upright against a wall - or in the case of the first scene, an oak tree. Ow.
- In the 1989 film Blood and Sand, Juan (Chris Rydell) has sex with Dona Sol (Sharon Stone) against a tree.
- Lord of War: Yuri Orlov, with his wife against the shower door. Actually, all sex scenes in this movie fit this trope.
- Jerry Maguire has Dorothy Ray, while swooning over Jerry, imagining romantic bliss while proclaiming "whoever snagged him must be one classy babe." The movie cuts to Jerry nailing his screaming fiancee to the wall, visual shorthand for her not being "classy."
- Connie (Diane Lane) and Paul (Olivier Martinez) in Unfaithful.
- Goes horribly wrong in Very Bad Things.
- The evil snowman in Jack Frost kills a woman this way.
- Happens in Secretary, though the girl was tied to a tree.
- While it happens in Road House, the relative positioning of Patrick Swayze and Kelly Lynch's bodies means that either nothing is really going on at all, or else Swayze is a very, very lucky man if you know what I mean...
- One of the funniest scenes in Baby Boy has Jody being unable to sleep... because his mom and her new boyfriend are having sex, rather loudly, in the other room. We see it, too - and it starts with a Wall Bang, but evolves into what can only be described as "the African Squat Fuck", across the room.
- Subverted in Basic Instinct, when Michael Douglas initially pushes Jeanne Tripplehorn against the wall. After some intense groping, he suddenly pulls her over to the couch, drapes her over it, and takes her from behind.
- Happens in The Joy Luck Club with the mom who later drowned her baby.
- It also happens in Out of Time when the two leads, the police chief and the wife of an abusive ex-footballer, are having sex against the bathroom door, goes through said door and then against the wall. When it's over, you see he's still wearing pants.
- Happens between Carrie and Brian while in bed with Early listening in on the other side in Kalifornia.
- Gangs of New York: Amsterdam and Jenny end up doing this after a round of Slap Slap Kissing.
- Happens in The Last King of Scotland in a bit of a....well, lengthy scene. You thought you weren't gonna see James McAvoy's butt? You thought wrong, mister.
- The (more or less) clothed version happens in a deleted scene from Repo! The Genetic Opera, between Amber Sweet and Graverobber.
- Happens between two men (one of whom is Bradley Cooper) in Wet Hot American Summer.
- Sharon Stone and William Baldwin get a scene like this in Sliver, although it's more up against a column rather than a wall.
- There is an extremely unpleasant looking scene involving a couple screwing against a tree in The Nail Gun Massacre.
- Part of the rough sex scene in The Hitchhiker involves this.
- Done spectacularly in the Dark Shadows movie where Barnabas and Angelique do it against the wall... the floor... the ceiling...
- In Lost and Delirious, Jake and Tori have sex against a tree.
- In Shame the protagonist has sex with a girl against a wall in an alley at night.
- Happens between Illeana (Angelina Jolie) and James (Ethan Hawke) in Taking Lives, though they eventually move onto the bed.
- There is a brief scene in the beginning of the film Jarhead where the protagonist wallbangs his girlfriend.
- Robin Shea (Rebecca De Mornay) in And God Created Woman gets it in a gymnasium by the contractor protagonist Billy Moran.
- Shoot 'em Up features this at the end of the film's sole sex scene, with Smith servicing DQ against the wall while simultaneously gunning down the men sent to kill them.
- Yet another Sharon Stone example in The Quick and the Dead, used to symbolise the frantic nature of their sex as it's a Pre-Climax Climax. The position has an additional advantage of showing off Stone's hot leather pants when Russell Crowe grabs her ass.
- This is the content of the one and only sex scene in Atonement, as detailed lengthily and lovingly. At least the author mentions how awkward the position would be if the participants weren't the same height. The loving detail is actually due to the literate male attempting to keep his stamina up. He notices stuff like their heights and how the light falls and how uncomfortable the position might be for her (in the corner of a library on a desk) in order to keep his mind off of the sex and thus last longer.
- In the Rizzoli & Isles books, a minor character exchanges sex in this way for a place to stay/eat/money. She's mildly disgusted, especially considering the open windows. She idly wonders if the man is showing off, which increases her disgust.
- The Memoirs of Cleopatra by Elizabeth George has Julius Caesar making love to Cleopatra like this and promising that he won't let her touch the ground until it's over. Interestingly for this trope, the sex in that book is never really that graphic, including in this scene.
- Older Than Feudalism nonfiction example: According to the Kama Sutra, "When a man and a woman support themselves on each other's bodies, or on a wall, or pillar, and thus while standing engage in congress, it is called the 'supported congress'."
- According to Frank McCourt's memoir, Angela's Ashes, this was how he was conceived, and he refers to it as a "knee trembler".
- The expression also crops up a lot (though it's more often discussed than seen) in the Adolf Hitler: My Part in His Downfall septology.
- Alluded to in Night Watch; one of the Seamstresses asks Vimes if he wants a tuppenny upright. Vimes has to tell his younger self "it's a kind of donut," but even young Vimes suggests that he doesn't think that's what it really is, and "I think it's something rude."
- This Dead Like Me clip with Jewel Staite's character in a record store.
- Firefly: A scene from "Out of Gas" with KayLee that ignores the bit about keeping the clothes on. Made even more impressive by her visually diagnosing a critical engine failure in the midst of said bang. See it here, if you're in the United States. Coincidentally, KayLee is also played by Jewel Staite.
- Happens up against the wall of a cricket club while Simon is waiting to bat in Kingdom:
Simon: I'm in! I'm in!
Woman: I noticed!
- Occurs in the 6th season of Buffy the Vampire Slayer between Buffy and Spike. In the alley, next to a dumpster, behind the Doublemeat Palace during Buffy's break. Classy.
- 30 Rock:
Jack: Bianca wanted it 6, 7 times a day. Always standing up.
Liz: Standing up? How would that even work?
Jack: You're joking, right?
Liz: [sheepishly] Yeah...
- While it's not shown, an episode of Scrubs reveals that this is Dr. Cox's favorite sex position. Hilarity Ensues when Jordan offers it to him after he hurt his back earlier in the day. He cried during it.
- David Boreanaz did commentary on an episode of Bones. "We look so hot here - we could take our clothes off and do it against the wall." He talks about a bloody crime scene with guts up the walls and man-eating stray dogs everywhere.
- Monica and Chandler of Friends have sex up against their gigantic picture window, with Monica's brother Ross having just moved in right across the street.
- Nathan and Haley in a memorable scene on One Tree Hill. At the wedding reception of Lucas and Peyton, no less.
- Lt Scott and Lt James are doing this in a storeroom before being interrupted by Colonel Young's radio call, in the first episode of Stargate Universe. The scene was cut during some UK broadcasts, leaving the viewer with no explanation of why Matt looks flustered when he reports for duty and far worse, causing Vanessa's later jealousy over Matt and Chloe to seem unfounded and stalkerish.
- Rome - Marc Antony stops his army just to have sex with a random shepherdess this way. (She looks rather bored, as if this sort of thing happened all the time.)
- In an episode of Rush TV Series Michael and Stella do this.
- Benedict Cumberbatch's character did this in the first episode of To the Ends of the Earth.
- Offscreen, Amy and Rory on Doctor Who may have done this (with the ladder of a bunk-bed) when their daughter Melody/River was conceived, if a couple of joking but matching tweets from writers Steven Moffat and Neil Gaiman should be treated as Word of God.
- In How I Met Your Mother, Ted proposes this to Stella. "It will be like a three-way: you, me and the door." To this, Stella replies "Yeah, but then it's going to be weird between me and the door tomorrow."
- Cracker. Fitz realises the killers of a loan shark have done this when he finds long hair on the wall near the body. He then has a couple of amused detectives recreate the event.
- In American Horror Story: Coven, Zoe walks in on Madison having Sex for Solace with Zoe's resurrected love interest Kyle this way.
- In the Supernatural episode "Heart" (S02, Ep17), Sam slams Madison against the wall as they start pulling each others clothes off.
- The title character in Max Payne 2 does this to Mona Sax, then later hallucinates about doing it again.
- The Neverwinter Nights module The Bastard Of Kosigan has at least three possible occurrences (with Laura in the witches' cave hideout, with Diane using a tree on the way to the bandit camp, and the somewhat...thorough...make-out scene with Alex in the end of the second module). Most other sexual encounters in that series use either beds or tables.
- One of Makoto's sex scenes in School Days. More exactly, one of the scenes with Sekai... which happens in the school rooftop.
- The culminating scene of Miranda's romance in Mass Effect 2 starts looking like Shepard and Miranda are going to have sex on the console, then they head for the wall, before finally settling on the floor.
- Used for the sex scene between Ivan and Gian while in Ivan's safe house, near the very end of his route, in Lucky Dog 1.
- Ryo and Nurse Kaori from Crescendo manage to pull this in, of all places, a store's fitting room.