Naomi Watts. By the way, the ring she's wearing reads "Watts
"I'm not this dark, twisted person. Yes, I have my demons and this is my way of exorcising them. It gets them out - and better out than in. Actually, I think that it's the comedians who are the darkest people on the planet, because they think life's just bloody hilarious."
"I wonder if Naomi Watts had some kind of stipulation in her contracts that there had to be at least one makeout with another actress in every movie she was in for a while." Naomi Ellen Watts
—Matt Wilson on Tank Girl
(born September 28, 1968) is an award winning British-Australian actress and occasional producer. Born in Shoreham, Kent in the UK and raised in Australia before moving to America, Watts struggled in the movie scene for some time, taking on small roles in films she has since admitted were "shit
" to pay the rent, before being cast by David Lynch
in the lead role for his project Mulholland Dr.
. Her performance as Betty Elms/Diane Selwyn won critical acclaim and the attention of some major players in Hollywood
and beyond. She has since enjoyed success in a far greater choice of film roles, balancing her resume with box-office successes like Gore Verbinski's 2002 remake of the Japanese horror film Ringu
and deeper roles in indie films such as 2003's 21 Grams
, which earned her an Academy Award nomination for best actress that many felt was long overdue.
In addition, Watts had a relationship with late actor Heath Ledger
(she allegedly had to talk him into starring in 2005's Best Picture nominee Brokeback Mountain
) from August 2002 to May 2004 before breaking up with him in 2005 and later meeting actor Liev Schreiber
in the spring of 2005. They have since had two children together.
Her father, Peter Watts, used to be Pink Floyd
's road manager. Notably, both her parents contributed spoken word vocals to The Dark Side of the Moon
Films of note:
Tropes found in her life and work include:
- Covers Always Lie - After she became a success with Mulholland Drive and The Ring, one of her earlier and, well, not quite as good, films The Shaft was released on DVD with packaging that leads one to believe that she's the star, when she's really the protagonist's sidekick/love interest.
- Fake American - More than half of her roles.
- Fanservice - Her character in I ♥ Huckabees is a model for the titular company and thus spends much of her screen time half-naked. However, near the end she undergoes an awakening and spends the rest of the film wearing baggy overalls and a bonnet, leaving Fuckabe-uh, Huckabees.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: With Nicole Kidman.
- Huge Guy, Tiny Girl: She's 5'4 compared to Liev's 6'3.
- Large Ham - In The Ring. "WHAT DO YOU WANT FROM MEEEEEE!" and perhaps most infamously, The Ring Two's "I'm not your fucking mommy!"
- Lipstick Lesbian - She plays one in Mulholland Dr., although the events as shown are purposefully opaque.
- Meganekko: In Tank Girl.
- Money, Dear Boy - The reason she acted in movies that would later be her Old Shame.
- Older than They Look: She was born in 1968 and looks quite a bit younger.
- Old Shame: As mentioned above, she's flat-out stated that many of her early films were "shit" and that she only acted in them to pay the rent. Between Children of the Corn IV: The Gathering, Tank Girl and The Shaft, it's probably a good idea to avoid her pre-Mulholland Dr. films.
- Ooh, Me Accent's Slipping - Pretty rarely, but it does happen in a couple of her films.
- Platonic Life Partners: With Sean Penn.
- Recognition Failure: Naomi has noted that people hardly ever notice her when she goes out in public. Some people will even brush her aside to get to Lieb Schreiber or ask her to take their picture. She likes this, as this means people don't bother her as they do most celebrities.
- Remake - She's been in The Ring, King Kong, The Painted Veil and most recently Funny Games. She's also apparently playing the Tippi Hedren role in the upcoming remake of The Birds.
- Romance on the Set: Naomi met her husband, Liev Schreiber, when filming The Painted Veil.
- Those Two Actors: With Sean Penn, her co-star in three films.
- Why Did It Have to Be Snakes? - Apparently she's afraid of elevators, which is amusing because one of her early (and not so good) films The Shaft is about a killer elevator.