A 2012 film about one family's impossible story during the Boxing Day Tsunami
. The English Bennet family are on Christmas holiday in Thailand when the tsunami hits. Mother Maria Bennet, an ex-doctor, is swept out in the tidal wave with oldest son Lucas
. Meanwhile, father Henry, by some miracle, manages to survive the wave hitting the hotel, and is there with another group of survivors and the two youngest sons, Thomas and Simon. Maria gains a whole host of nasty infections in a hospital, Henry sets out to find out whether she and Lucas even survived, leaving the two little boys with a group of kids who get taken up to higher ground.The Impossible
is based on the real-life
events that happened to Belon from Spain during the events of the 2004 Indian Ocean Tsunami.
This film contains examples of:
- Adult Fear: Maria desperately reaching for Lucas, as he is dragged out to sea, and both parents contemplating the other children's fate.
- Henry telling Maria's father that he doesn't know what's happened to her.
- Aloof Big Brother: Lucas at the beginning of the film.
- Arc Words: "Close your eyes, and think of something nice."
- Bittersweet Ending: The family are reunited and survived, but then again, 200,000 lives were lost at the tsunami. It's strongly implied that the family of the man who'd been helping Henry search are among them.
- Body Horror: At one point Maria starts coughing up a bloody, matted fishing line.
- The wound to her leg is pretty ghastly too, as are the brief shots of other tsunami victims' fractured limbs and battered bodies.
- Book Ends: Flying in and then out of Thailand.
- Blood Is Squicker in Water: Maria's wounds.
- Common Tongue: Most of the survivors speak English. According to real life survivors, Truth in Television. Despite varied nationalities, English was apparently the language most of them had a basic understanding of.
- Crucified Hero Shot: Maria floating to the surface of the water.
- Empathy Doll Shot: The red ball.
- Gory Discretion Shot: Averted more often than not.
- Missed Him by That Much: The reunion at the hospital.
- Nightmare Sequence: Maria has one while in surgery, re-imagining herself during the tsumani.
- No Antagonist: The tsunami is the closest thing we have to one.
- Oscar Bait
- Outrun the Fireball: Out-swim the tidal wave.
- Potty Emergency: In a rare non-comedy example, Lucas's little brothers only find him because Simon really needed to pee and got off the transport, averting another Missed Him by That Much.
- Say My Name
- The Scream: Maria clinging to the tree.
- Waking Up Elsewhere: Maria.