Aftershock is a disaster horror film directed by Nicolas Lopez with Screenplay by Lopez, Eli Roth and Guillermo Amoedo. It consists of a group of tourists, who travel to Chile for partying and fun only to run in the midst of an earthquake resulting in complete chaos.
Provides examples of:
- Bitch in Sheep's Clothing: The Firefighter who turns out to be an escaped convict.
- Butt Monkey: Gringo, Ariel and Irina. See Trauma Conga Line
- Casanova Wannabe: Gringo who strikes out multiple times.
- Chekhov's Gun: The faulty cables of the Cable car.
- Then there is the Tsunami.
- Chekhov's Gunman: The prisoners who are heard to have escaped from the collapsed jail.
- Decoy Protagonist: Eli Roth's Gringo is the lead until he dies second and easily the most brutal death by being first crushed under some rubble, then set on fire and we see every second of the burning.
- Developing Doomed Characters: The first 35 minutes atleast!!!
- Final Girl: Monica...until the last minute.
- Humans Are the Real Monsters: Played straight to an Anvilicious extent.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Kylie and Pollo.
- Karma Houdini: Carmen the bartender. Ariel loses a hand freeing her from debris and she abandons him with no repercussions, though it is possible she was killed by the Tsunami.
- Kill 'em All : Possibly every character ends up being killed, including a Bait and Switch Hope Spot at the very end.
- Rape as Drama: Poor Irina gets raped twice. We only hear it happening the first time... Then we see her raped the second time.
- Trauma Conga Line: DEAR FUCKING GOD, the stuff Irina goes through. First, she's nearly trampled to death, then she's raped two times in a row, the first time in front of a pinned down Gringo, then the second time, she's right next to Gringo's burnt corpse.
- Your Cheating Heart: Ariel's wife is heard to have cheated more than once on him.