After the Sunset is a 2004 action comedy film starring Pierce Brosnan as Max Burdett, a master thief caught in a cat-and-mouse game with FBI agent Stan Lloyd played by Woody Harrelson. The film was directed by Brett Ratner and shot in The Bahamas.The story of what happens after a master thief achieves his last big score, when the FBI agent who promised he'd capture him is about to do just that.After a successful last score, a master thief retires to an island paradise. His lifelong nemesis, a crafty FBI agent, washes ashore to ensure he's making good on his promise. The pair soon enters into a new game of cat-and-mouse.
This film contains examples of:
- Bait-and-Switch Gunshot: When Moret breaks into Max's house to get his revenge, there's a fierce struggle before he manages to hold Max at gunpoint. There's a shot, Max's body jerks. . .and it turns out the shot came from either Stan or Sophie and killed Moret.
- Beta Couple: Stan and Sophie.
- Break-In Threat/The Villain Knows Where You Live: Local gangster Moret comments on the view of the water from Max's house. When Max corrects him, saying you mean "the view of my house from the water", Moret assures him that the first statement was correct—reaffirming that he knows where Max lives and will presumably harm him and his fiancee should he tangle with him.
- Check, Please! Has Pierce Brosnan's character saying "Check!" after he and his fiancé are having dinner with a couple who casually admit that they like to swap partners.
- Dirty Cop: Implied with Sophie's ex-husband Zacharias. While it doesn't seem that he's on the take from Moret, he does seem willing to turn a blind eye to his misdeeds.
- Fair Cop: Sophie
- Fake High: Subverted. Stan pretends to be drunk while lamenting to Max about his failed career and relationships so that Max will let his guard down and not realize that Stan is tailing him as he prepares for another heist.
- Fanservice: Salma Hayek and Naomie Harris
- Friendly Enemy: Despite the obvious animosity, Stan and Max clearly have a grudging, genuine respect and admiration for each other, to the point where Stan saves Max's life when local gangster Moret comes after him.
- Everything Sounds Sexier in French: Moret admits to Max that he's an American, but adopted a French pronunciation of his name, as well as an accent mark over the "e", to make himself seem more mysterious and dangerous.
- May–December Romance: Was Sophie and Zacharias (she's 25 years his junior). A slighter version with Lola and Max, who is 14 years her senior.
- Scenery Porn: The Bahamas.
- Speed Sex: Stan and Sophie are getting it on when her beeper goes off. Stan begs her to stay, saying, "Just give me five minutes!" She tells him he should be embarrassed, but realizing that she's in a hurry, acquiesces.
- What Happened to the Mouse?: Despite hooking up with Stan and playing a decent supporting role in the film, Sophie completely disappears without any explanation after the shootout at Max's house.