Sexiest Triad leader ever. For good, for bad, and for worse.
17-year-old Kurumi Akino lives in Tokyo, helping her ill mother to take care of her little siblings and working hard at both school and her part-time job. Her life is pretty ordinary, isn't it? Well, it is
... until she's walking home and bumps into a handsome stranger. The guy promptly places his hand over her mouth, kisses her forcibly, and then threatens her with rape if she screams since he's being pursued by other people. He promptly collapses and Kurumi thinks she can't leave him there, so she treats his wounds at home and manages to have him tell her his name: Hakuron. However, he gives her a sleeping drug through a kiss and leaves her there, escaping from the Akino household..
Since Hakuron disappeared as soon as he arrived, Kurumi now wonders if it was all a bad dream. It isn't, actually. Few after the incident, when she's in her way to class, Kurumi finds herself whisked off her feet and shuttled to Hong Kong, and the culprit is Hakuron! It turns out that the stranger whose life she saved is actually the most powerful and badass mobster from The Triads and the Tongs
, and he wants to "thank" her by making her his bride. From then on, the poor girl will be caught in the struggles among several triad groups as well as the in-fights in Hakuron's group, and will also have to deal with Hakuron's own extremely screwed up view on life and love, as well as the very
traumatic loss of her own innocence. All of this happens in a strange land, very far from the Tokyo where her family and her past remain...
Haou Airen (覇王·愛人 Surpreme King's Mistress?) is a shōjo manga series created by Mayu Shinjo
, also adapted into 3 CD dramas. Like a lot of Shinjo's works, Haou Airen is heavy on sexual content and the melodrama.
Some more info about it here
Haou Airen has the following tropes
- Alternate Continuity: The CD drama, where Hakuron survives. Apparently, had he lived, he and Kurumi would've been Happily Married and had a daughter.
- A Match Made In Hong Kong: Hakuron and Kurumi, only it's played less by laughs and more for Fanservice and Drama.
- Anguished Declaration of Love: Kurumi gives one to Hakuron, after he points a gun at her head and orders her to swear her love to him.
- Arranged Marriage: Hakuron and Reilan.
- Asskicking Equals Authority: Hakuron went up the Triads's ranks via basically kicking all kind of ass to get there. Also, that's how he recruited Di Long into the group.
- Bastard Boyfriend: Hakuron, who threatens Kurumi with rape when they meet to keep her quiet since he's being tracked. Later he kidnaps her to make her his mistress as "thanks" for saving him, and rapes Kurumi repeatedly at one point. Not only that, but it's pretty clear that his treatment of Reilan in the past wasn't exactly the best either, considering what she very bitterly says about him "stealing her body, her life, and her soul".
- Because You Were Nice to Me, I Owe You My Life and Florence Nightingale Effect: Nothing would've happened in this manga, had Kurumi not decided to treat Hakuron's wounds.
- Betty and Veronica: Kaafai (Betty) and Hakuron (Veronica), for Kurumi. Until Kaafai goes Yandere too.. Kurumi (Bett) and Reilan (Veronica), for Hakuron.
- Blood Knight: Hakuron, Di Long. A sort-of Justified Trope since both of them are high-ranked Triad members and their fighting skills are what brought them as high in the hierarchy as they are.
- Blood-Splattered Wedding Dress: Horribly subverted: the one splattered in blood is the groom in a white suit.
- Break His Heart to Save Him: Once Kurumi's Stockholm Syndrome sets in, Hakuron tries this technique on her a lot because he realizes that his enemies will do horrible things to her if he appears to care for her. He even goes so far as to make her be Fuuron's mistress instead of his own. It doesn't work very well.
- Break the Cutie: Huo Long's backstory.
- And Kurumi, despite her Love Martyr tendencies, finds herself pretty broken. A good example would be her huge Heroic BSOD after Reilan's Thanatos Gambit. The fact that immediately afterward Hakuron raped her repeatedly in an effort to stop her from leaving him didn't help.
- Broken Bird: Kurumi thinks Reilan is one. Considering Reilan's Rape as Drama deal, she isn't that far off... only that she was way too spiteful to invoke real sympathy. And Kurumi herself either barely averts becoming one, or by the end of the series she's a Broken Bird in her path to recovery.
- Chekhov's Gunman: Kaafai.
- Clingy Jealous Girl: Reilan.
- Contrived Coincidence: 15-year-old Hakuron just happened to go in an important mission in Japan in exactly the same day of Mr. Akino's funeral? And then he happened to see the funeral procession and catch a glimpse of 14-year-old Kurumi?
- Corrupt the Cutie: Discussed when Reilan sets up her Thanatos Gambit and claims she wants Kurumi to be tainted by her gangrape as revenge for Hakuron tainting her.
Reilan: "How does it feel to see someone you love being tainted in front of your eyes? (...) But everything that hs happened until now, you have done it to me! You heartlessly stole not just my body and my life, but my heart as well!"
- Crazy Jealous Guy: Hakuron and Kaafai.
- Dark and Troubled Past: Hakuron and Huo Long.
- Dangerously Genre Savvy: Reilan invokes this in her Thanatos Gambit. She knows she won't get away with setting up Kurumi for gang-rape—and uses it to spit on Hakuron and Kurumi's faces.
- Darker and Edgier: We know that Shinjo uses explicit sex in her works, but this one also includes quite a bit of graphic violence and murder.
- Distress Ball: Kurumi and Huo Long in Volume 8.
- The Dog Bites Back: Kaafai.
- The Dragon: Fuuron, to Hakuron.
- Driven to Suicide: Kurumi downs a bunch of sleeping pills when she gets distraught over not being able to be with Hakuron. Huo Long saves her with a punch to the stomach.
- Dude Looks Like a Lady: Huo Long.
- Easy Amnesia: In Chapter 35, Kurumi falls down a flight of stairs and loses all her memories of the events of the whole series. She gets them all back just as easily in Chapter 43.
- Facial Markings: Hakuron has a very distinguishing dragon tattoo on the side of his face. Seems that only Kurumi has seen it and lived to tell.
- Fallen Prince: Hakuron was a Chinese nobleman, and he and his Missing Mom tried to escape from his abusive father. Upon being recaptured, Hakuron's mother urged kid!Hakuron to leave her behind, and he had to do so. It went From Bad to Worse soon afterwards.
- Famous Last Words:
Reilan: "Kurumi, I didn't really know why Hakuron fell for you. Your virtue is just his opposite. But I'm sorry... I loved Hakuron too... Kurumi, when I'm reborn, we'll be friends. I promise!"
Hakuron: "You're prettier when you smile. I wish I could see the smile on your face forever. Promise me, Kurumi, smile forever..." (last thoughts) "Because I won't be able to wipe your tears away anymore."
- Forced to Watch: Except in this case, it's the hero (sort of) raping the heroine and forcing the Romantic Runner-Up to watch.
- A straighter example is when a rival Triad gang kidnaps Kurumi and their leader has Hakuron watch via video as he strips and molests her.
- Four Eyes, Zero Soul: Fuuron
- Girlish Pigtails: Kurumi, though technically speaking she's 17 and thus a little old for the style. She wears them to emphasize her youth and innocence in contrast to the Crapsaccharine World she winds up in, and keeps them even as she loses said innocence through all the Break the Cutie.
- Go Mad from the Revelation: What happened to Kaafai when he's Forced to Watch as Hakuron rapes Kurumi. This is why he shoots Hakuron to death in the end.
- Gory Discretion Shot: When Hakuron kills Kurumi's first would-be rapists.
- Also, when Fuuron kills the shopkeeper for refusing to sell him the Dragon Sphere in Volume 8.
- Averted in the case of Reilan, as we clearly see her bleed and collapse to the floor in a puddle of her own blood after Hakuron shoots her to death. Made worse by how we think it'll be played straight when the scenery changes to the building facade... only to return to the fatally injured Reilan.
- Heroic Self-Deprecation: Hakuron keeps saying horrible things about himself and insists in telling Kurumi that he's a monster and she should reject him for such stuff, but that doesn't stop him from hugging her passionately and sexing her up. Many times, against her will.
- Hong Kong: The plot is truly kickstarted when Hakuron abducts Kurumi and takes her to his home there...
- Crapsaccharine World: This is how the SAR itself is described. It's a bright, shining city full of prosperity and fun things to do... while gangsters train children and teenagers like Hakuron, Di Long and several others as well as assassins in a shadow war filled with rape, murder, and suicide.
- I Can Change My Beloved: Kurumi thinks she can pull this in regards to the dude who practically kidnapped her and brought her to Hong Kong to be his mistress. (Then again, the poor girl is trapped in the SAR and has no way out, considering Hakuron is a high-ranked Triads leader.) In any way, it does NOT go well.
- I Want My Beloved to Be Happy: Huo Long is an unusually proactive version of this trope.
- Ill Girl: Kurumi's mother. The reason why Kurumi is the main breadwinner because of Mrs. Akino's bad health.
- Intimate Psychotherapy: Subverted. Kurumi has sex with Fuuron after a really hard time (including a scene in which she tells him about said problems), but she doesn't exactly feel better afterwards.
- Karma Houdini or Redemption Equals Death: Hakuron, as he dies in the last volume. It really depends on your view of him.
- Mafia Princes and Princesses: Hakuron, Reilan and Shui Long.
- Major Injury Underreaction: Hakuron laments how his groom suit got stained—when he's bleeding to death.
- Meaningful Rename: After killing his asshole dad at the age of 14, Li Shen Wong renounced to his old identity and started calling himself "Hakuron".
- The Medic: Shui Long. He comes from a family of these, actually.
- Morality Pet: Kurumi aims to become this to Hakuron, as much as she can be to a Bastard Boyfriend like him.
- Names to Know in Anime: Tomokazu Seki plays Hakuron in the drama CD's, opposite Kimiko Koyama's Kurumi. Other seiyuus there are Yuu Asakawa (Huo Long), Susumu Chiba (Fuuron), Nobuo Tobita (Shui Long), and Norio Wakamoto (Narration).
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero: Great idea Hakuron, raping Kurumi in front of Kaafai and letting him live is not going to backfire in the most important day of your life.
- No, Mister Bond, I Expect You to Dine: Yishan, to Kurumi.
- I Have Your Wife: What follows. More exactly: "I Have Your Girly Looking Friend Too And You WILL Help Me In My Plans Or He'll Die."
- Parental Favoritism/The Unfavorite: Poor Shui Long.
- Pet the Dog: Or better said, the kitten named Miruku.
- Please Spare Him, My Liege!: Kurumi attempts to stop Hakuron from shooting Reilan, even when she's to blame for Kurumi's almost gangrape. This being Hakuron, he doesn't listen.
- Promotion to Parent: Kurumi gets a partial one, having to help her mother with her little brothers' raising after her father's death. Not only that, but Mrs. Akino is an Ill Girl who badly needs Kurumi's help.
- Rags to Riches: In Tokyo, Kurumi is from a very poor family and struggles with her part-time job, her Promotion to Parent and her studies. Suddenly, she finds herself shuttled to Hong Kong and immersed in incredible riches and luxury as Hakuron's "mistress", and he promises to her that he'll send money to Mrs. Akino so she can support herself and the twins without Kurumi (And he does more or less keep his word in that sense).
- Reckless Gun Usage: Kurumi waves around a loaded pistol when Hakuron is teaching her to shoot, but Hakuron yells at her to be careful and takes the gun away. Hakuron himself demonstrates unsafe gun usage later, when he repeatedly points guns at people to threaten them, even when he does not intend to kill them.
- Self-Made Orphan: Hakuron's father was an utter bastard. Guess what was his end.
- Sexual Harassment and Rape Tropes: Oh boy...
- Attempted Rape: More than once, but special note goes to the Too Dumb to Live triad guys who grab the escaping and BSOD'ing Kurumi and attempt to make her a Sex Slave and Reilan having her schoolmates try to rape Kurumi, out of jealousy and as a part of her Thanatos Gambit.. Hakuron saves her both times, of course. Which doesn't stop him from sexing her up in non-con/dub-con ways, tho.
- Di Long even gets in on the action, until Fuuron stops him by holding a sword to his throat. He tries it again later, but is thwarted by Hakuron.
- Yishan Yang also tries this after he unsuccessfully tried to use Kurumi as a bargaining chip. As usual, Hakuron saves her.
- "Not If They Enjoyed It" Rationalization: Hakuron and Kurumi both buy into this argument, noting that Kurumi's body reacted during his multiple rapes of her, and she starts having lustful feelings towards him in spite of herself. Hakuron argues that this means she has no choice but to stay with him, and she comes to agree with him.
- Rape as Drama: Reilan gets gang-raped by Yishan Yong's goons and forced into prostitution, which helps send her further into Yandere territory.
- Rape Is Love: Hakuron repeatedly rapes Kurumi for days in order to get her to love him. What's more horrifying and mindboggling is that it works.
- Rape Leads to Insanity: As said above, Reilan was driven to bitterness and insanity after she gets gangraped by the mooks of her fiancé Hakuron's rival and forced into prostitution, and she gets so broken that she invokes the trope via setting her love rival Kurumi to be gang-raped in front of Hakuron himself to specifically mess with the girl's mind. Even when Kurumi is rescued, Reilan uses this as a part of a Thanatos Gambit as well, so she gets broken anyway — but by the end, she gets somewhat better. And also, Kurumi is raped by Hakuron himself in front of her newfound friend Kaafai... and he is the one who goes crazy instead, which leads him to ultimately shoot Hakuron dead.
- Sex Slave: Mid-series, Kurumi basically ends up as this since not only does Hakuron keep her trapped at his house and rape her whenever he feels like, he also makes her do the housecleaning and cooking.
- She Cleans Up Nicely: Kurumi fits very well in a Qipao and in a bridal gown.
- Shoot the Dog: Hakuron seems to view his murder of Reilan this way.
- Shower of Angst: Kurumi, after she has sex with Fuuron when very emotionally drained... and then learns about Reilan's Thanatos Gambit.
- Smug Snake/The Rival: Yang Yishan.
- Spurned Into Suicide: Reilan didn't exactly kill herself with her own hands, but set a Thanatos Gambit specifically to have revenge against the Bastard Boyfriend that left her for Kurumi.
- Street Urchin: Hakuron spent a while like this, until taken in by The Triads and the Tongs.
- Tykebomb: After being "adopted" by the triads.
- Streetwalker: Huo Long's backstory.
- Teen Genius: Hakuron is a top hitman in the Triads and pretty much the heir to his group... at the very early age of 18/19. His companions are hinted to have been this in the past as well.
- Teacher/Student Romance: Referenced. When Di Long tries to rape Kurumi, she protests and calls him "sensei." He realizes that she still thinks of him as her P.E. teacher, and concludes that this makes it even better, because "it'll be like doing something really naughty."
- Thanatos Gambit: Reilan, as her Take That to both Kurumi and Hakuron. Explained in her last will.
Reilan: (written) "If my wish comes true, I'll be murdered by Hakuron in front of Kurumi. Anyway, Father, this is Hakuron's mercy. And that stupid bitch will hate Hakuron for the rest of her life. And as my last trap: " Kurumi, when I'm reborn, we'll be friends. I promise!" Stupid Kurumi, she'll never know it was all a lie!"
- Tragic Keepsake: A jade jewel that Hakuron's Missing Mom gave him.
- Chekhov's Gun: Thanks to having it, Hakuron was taken in by his adoptive father and then into the triads.
- Trauma-Induced Amnesia: Kurumi, after Reilan's death.
- Troubled, but Cute: Hakuron.
- The Triads and the Tongs: And Hakuron is the most dangerous one there.
- Unwanted Harem: Kurumi has Hakuron, Huo Long, Di Long, Yishan Yang, and Kaafai after her, each in their own ways. (And maybe Fuuron). Very much not Played for Laughs.
- Unwitting Pawn: Many of Hakuron's enemies try to use Kurumi as this.
- Villainous Crossdresser/Wholesome Crossdresser: Huo Long. His heart is in the right place, but he is a Triad member.
- Walking Shirtless Scene: Di Long.
- Wall Bang Her: Up against a door. With Hou Ron listening behind said door.
- What the Hell, Hero?: In Volume 8, Mrs. Akino gives one to Hakuron after the Akino's home is burned down.
- Followed by one from Fuuron, who calls him out for going out of his way too much for Kurumi.
- And Kurumi attempts to give him one when she recovers her memories. Doesn't work as well.
- Even earlier, Kurumi gives a huge one to Hakuron when he kills Reilan.
- White Shirt of Death: Hakuron.
- Yamato Nadeshiko: Kurumi's mother. Kurumi was shaping up into one of these as well, until her life... "changed". She seems to have become a real one after Hakuron's death.
- Yandere: Hakuron, Reilan, and Kaafai after his Face-Heel Turn.
- You Have Outlived Your Usefulness: Hakuron does this. Very bitterly lampshaded by Reilan right before he shoots her to death.
" Kurumi! Take a good look at him! This is the fate destined to those who aren't useful to Hakuron anymore!"
- Zettai Ryouiki: Kurumi's school uniform. Also Reilan, who combines it with a Qipao shirt as part of her school clothes.