begins with the readers being introduced to first year highschool student Yae, who is naturally and intuitively feminine, something she despises in herself. We're then introduced to her classmate Chitose, a naturally tomboyish girl whom Yae is both admiring and jealous of.
Chitose quickly sets her sights on Yae and tries to become close to Yae, even on occasion flirting with her. Chitose eventually wins Yae over and the two become close friends. However, their Unresolved Sexual Tension
continues to build and build before finally culminating in a kiss... Both of them are confused by this. What happens next for the pair? Is the love between them real?Hanjuku Joshi
is an explicit Girls Love manga
by Akiko Morishima
. It debuted in Yuri Hime Wildrose
and will be released digitally in English by JManga. The erotic fare is there in the manga
though it's used to analyze the relationships of the members involved. This work is also notable for comparing and contrasting legitimate romantic relationships between girls to the more typical to the Japanese mindset, Class S
Hanjuku Joshi contains examples of:
- A-Cup Angst: Chitose, not as angry about her lack of endowments as some examples but she often comments on being jealous of Yae's bust.
- Beta Couple: Ran and Mari
- Bifauxnen: Chitose
- Bread, Eggs, Milk, Squick: While jogging, Chitose asks Ran a bunch of innocent jogging-related questions, and then concludes with "Does Sensei insert her finger when doing lecherous acts with girls?" Ran carelessly answers "Yes!" before she can process what the question is.
- Caught with Your Pants Down: Yae and Chitose walk in on Ran and Mari having sex in the library.
- Yae and Chitose themselves fall victim later on, when Ran bursts in on them after hearing strange sounds in their dorm room. She chides them for leaving the door unlocked.
- Christmas Cake: Ran angsts about this in a later chapter.
- Class Representative: Chitose and Yae although with personalities not stereotypical of this trope.
- Closet Key: Ran is Mari's
- Close-Up on Head:
- Mari and Ran are discussing Yae and Chitose. The camera zooms out, revealing that they're in bed, and, between the two of them, they're wearing precisely one item of clothing — unless you count the fuzzy handcuffs on Ran.
- Mari is holding an English study guide, and Yae is tearfully telling her about her fight with Chitose....in a bubble bath. Together. Yae isn't sure how this happened.
- Contrived Coincidence: Two different First Loves show up moments after someone mentions them.
- D-Cup Distress: Yae wears an uncomfortably small bra in a fruitless attempt to make her breasts look smaller.
- Double Standard: Rape, Female on Female: Subverted as the scenes never involve rape even if it sometimes looks like the manga might be going there.
- Chitose pushes Yae into a bathroom stall, orders her to take off her shirt and gropes her...because she was concerned her bra didn't fit. (Chitose figured Yae would've refused if she'd just, you know, asked.)
- Chitose does force herself on Yae on one occasion, but stops as soon as she realizes Yae really does mean "No".
- On the other hand, Mari takes advantage of Ran when she's emotionally vulnerable. Twice. She feels guilty about it, but that doesn't stop her. Ran doesn't seem to mind.
- Elevator School
- Even the Girls Want Her: Chitose
- First Name Basis: Chitose encourages Yae to call her by her given rather than her family name.
- Mari encourages Ran to do the same thing when they're outside school. Ran is a bit flustered but doesn't actually resist.
- Foreshadowing: In chapter 2, Mari suddenly wakes up when Chitose yells out Ran's name, and even repeats it to herself.
- Fuzzy Handcuffs Of Fate
- Gag Boobs: Yae's an F-cup. This fact does not often go unnoticed.
- Gayngst: Yae and Chitose both have slight bouts of this but their teacher, Ran suffers this the most.
- Genki Girl: Shiori.
- Girlish Pigtails: Yae as indicative of her femininity.
- Heart Symbol: Shiori radiates hearts when in maximum Les Yay mode.
- Heroic BSOD: Mari finds Ran sitting in a Thousand-Yard Stare after being told that her best friend Shiori, who she's been secretly in love with for years, is getting married. She snaps out of it quickly, though.
- I Didn't Mean to Turn You On: In the early chapters, Chitose has a habit of unwittingly doing this to Yae.
- Instant Fan Club: Chitose has a lot of fangirls.
- Intertwined Fingers: And the first one was invoked by Yae.
- Ladykiller in Love: Mari is a genderflipped version when she falls for Ran
- Lingerie Scene
- Love Bubbles
- Love Hotels: Several of them, though there are just as many sex scenes at the school or home.
- Luminescent Blush: Yae is the most prone to this.
- Meganekko: Ran
- New Old Flame: Yae's junior high friend and unrequited crush Youko, who pops into the story to unwittingly stir up old angst.
- No Nudity Taboo: Chitose undresses in front of her class on the second page. Her entire family is equally blase about being half-naked, at least around each other.
- Yae's influence eventually makes Chitose herself (a little) more self-conscious, to the shock of her classmates.
- No Periods, Period: Averted twice. Chitose and Yae each have a plot-relevant period during the series.
- One Gender School:
- Perpetual Molt: Seen on the chapter openings.
- Please Put Some Clothes On: Yae saying this to Chitose becomes a Running Gag.
- Really Gets Around: Mari, though it's revealed that her promiscuity stems from not realizing that she's gay.
- Romantic Two-Girl Friendship: Lampshaded, played straight with some of the background characters, but ultimately Subverted with the two main couples.
- Say It with Hearts
- Schoolgirl Lesbians
- Second Love: Yae and Ran have both been scarred by Incompatible Orientation in the past. Even Chitose has joked about a girl she had a crush on in kindergarten (who reminds her of Yae). Mari is the only one who doesn't have a history, except for some shallow relationships with boys.
- Secret Relationship
- Seme and Uke: Played with, lampshaded, but ultimately subverted.
- Sex as Rite-of-Passage: The "sex equals adulthood" aspect of this trope gets discussed and ultimately subverted. Mari tries to deliberately invoke it, thinking that having sex with boys would "make her a woman," but isn't pleased with the results. Yae also lampshades and subverts it after her and Chitose's first time: "I thought if I did ecchi things, I'd become an adult. But it seems I've somehow returned to being a child."
- Shower of Love
- Skinship Grope: Yae is a victim — and doesn't like it at all.
- Teacher/Student Romance: Ran and Mari
- Their First Time: Including the research portion of this trope.
- They Do: Chitose and Yae become a couple rather early in this series.
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: Chitose and Yae of course.
- Tsurime Eyes: Mari
- Unwanted Harem: Chitose suddenly attracts one by accident in Chapter 10.
- Yaoi Fangirl and Yuri Fan: Chitose's sister Chie.
- Girls Love (also known as "Girls Love")
- A girl provided a Lampshade for this by claiming this is "girls playing at love."