Video Game: Stray Souls: Dollhouse Story
Stray Souls: Dollhouse Story is a point-and-click hidden object game from Alawar Games.Sam and Danielle Hunt are a recently married couple. One night as they sit together on the sofa, the door rattles, a package is left on the doorstep, and Sam vanishes. Danielle opens the box, to find that it contains a living doll who knows where Sam is. She finds his orphanage file, when his adopted parents become dolls. She goes to look for him at his old address, and finds a boy named Jimmy who looks exactly like Young Sam — which is when everything gets worse.
Stray Souls: Dollhouse Story contains examples of:
- Beta Test Baddie: Inverted. The clown thinks he's complete, and tries to kill his other half.
- Bigger Bad: The entity in the clown is pretty frightening, but it was all James Morgan's fault.
- Creepy Child: Kim, thanks to being an Emotionless Girl.
- Creepy Doll: Creepier than Tails Doll and Other Mother's doll by sheer number and plot importance, Stray Souls is the KING of this trope.
- Doomed by Canon: Edgar Torres stars in the prequel chapter - see Posthumous Character below.
- Heroic Sacrifice: The doll, in the end.
- Hidden Object Game
- Horrible Judge of Character: Danielle, at least when it comes to the clown.
- It's implied that she trusted the clown because (unbeknownst to her) he's one half of her husband.
- Killed Off for Real: The director, the Hunts, the raven and the spider, the doll, and the demon possessing the clown.
- Literal Split Personality: Sam.
- Locked Door: Most doors you encounter are locked. Some can be opened with a key you find in strange places and others are unlocked by solving puzzles.
- Luke, I Am Your Father: Sam and Kim are siblings.
- Monster Clown
- Obviously Evil: See above.
- Orphanage of Fear: The orphanage that Sam was sent to.
- Posthumous Character: Edgar Torres becomes a ghost as soon as he's freed from the trap.
- Scenery Gorn: The town and rooms are very detailed. And frightening.
- Split Personality Merge: Sam again.
- Stupidity Is the Only Option: Would you honestly trust that Monster Clown?
- It's subtly implied that Danielle trusted him subconciously because he was one half of her husband.
- The Reveal: The dollhouse story. The dollhouse reveals all - the Hunts were wizards, who trapped a legion of demons in a chest. The orphanage director forced a demon into a clown doll, then sent it to kill the Hunts. He took Sam away, and tried to harness his inherited powers, splitting him into Jimmy and the Clown. He tries to burn the clown doll, when he is murdered by the Clown. Unknown to everyone, his sister Kim hid behind the sofa and created the helpful doll from all the good things in her house.
- Title Drop: Stray Souls orphanage, and the Dollhouse that tells the Story.