is a 2008 movie produced by Judd Apatow
and starring Will Ferrell
and John C. Reilly
, where two slacker adult children
, Dale Doback (Reilly) and Brennan Huff (Ferrell), are forced to live with each other when their parents get married, after a Freudian Slip
by Dr. Robert Doback (Richard Jenkins). Hilarity Ensues
as they become best friends after suffering from hilarious hijinks, committing beautiful singing and rightful child abuse. (They deserve it in context).
This film includes examples of:
- Awesome Music: In-universe, the brothers think their first company's music video is this. It's a misogynistic, terribly-rhymed piece of trash filmed with ugly hookers.
- Ax-Crazy: Derek's dragon Randy (Rob Riggle), who ate a man's penis while safe within international waters.
- Bald of Awesome: Doback. That is, Dr. Robert Doback.
- Berserk Button: Don't ever, ever, EVER touch Dale's drum set. Especially if you put your testicles on it.
- Big Brother Bully: Little brother bully, in this case, with Derek.
- Black Comedy Rape: When the brothers first fight over the drums, Brennan claims Dale was trying to rape him.
- The Bully: Derek and Chris Gardocki.
- The Cameo: By Seth Rogen, Phil LaMarr and Ken Jeong.
- Coattail-Riding Relative: When talking about their children, Robert tells Nancy that Dale is a coaster who thinks his medical career is a family business he can join in on. Which makes it funnier when Dale later accuses Brennan of being a layabout who lives in a fantasy land and refuses to get a job.
- Drowning My Sorrows: Dale and Brennan eventually drive Robert Doback to this. Can you really blame him?
- Even the Guys Want Him: In-universe, John Stamos for both Brennan and Dale.
- Fantasy-Forbidding Father: Justified in that the two main characters are middle-aged and should be beyond such things.
- Freudian Excuse: Brennan is a Man Child due to having his Jerk Ass brother getting the entire school to sing "BRENNAN HAS A MANGINA" during his school performance. Even the parents and faculty joined in. And his mother.
- For Science!: One of Prestige Worldwide's stated goals.
- "We put liquid paper on a bee. It died."
- Freudian Slip
- Hilariously Abusive Childhood: Not only did Nancy let Derek ruin Brennan's talent show performance by singing "Brennan has a mangina", she actually joined in singing it.
- Hilarity Ensues
- Hypocritical Humour
- Improvised Weapon: Brennan and Dale fight each other with baseball bats, golf clubs, and even a bicycle.
- Jerkass: Derek.
- He becomes a Jerk with a Heart of Gold after Brennan's singing causes him to remember the better bonding times they had together in childhood.
- Kids Are Cruel: The kids led by Chris Gardocki who beat up Dale and Brennan and force Brennan to lick a dog turd. Dale and Brennan get their revenge in the end.
- Large Ham: Many characters, but especially Randy, who yells POW!! to punctuate Derek's sentences. He also mimes eating a man's penis.
- Man Child: Both Brennan and Dale are this to the extreme, being 40-somethings who still live with their parents and act like 13-year-olds. It later turns out Derek, despite seemingly being successful, is just as childish and immature as the boys - just in a different manner.
- Minor Injury Overreaction: After Brennan gets crushed in between the "bunk beds," Dale immediately runs to their parents' room, frantically crying and screaming, "It's bad! It's so bad! There's blood everywhere!!!" When we actually cut back to Brennan, we see that he only suffered a mild scratch on his arm.
- New Parent Nomenclature Problem: Played for Laughs
I'm not gonna call him Dad.
Nancy: Brennan, you're 39 years old. I wouldn't expect you to call him Dad.
Brennan: Well I'm not going to, *ever*! Even if there's a fire!
- Never Wake Up A Sleepwalker: Robert finds out the hard way that the danger of waking up a sleepwalker is Real After All.
- Poor Man's Porn: Brennan whacks off to a female gymnastics video in the intro.
- Brennan and Dale both reveal that Good Housekeeping is their favorite non-pornographic magazine to masturbate to.
- Smug Snake: Derek, especially right before Dale punches him.
- Speed Sex: Gender flipped. Any time Alice and Dale have sex, it's Alice who climaxes quickly.
- Spoiled Brat: The titular characters.
- Stepford Smiler: Alice.
- Stylistic Suck: "Boats n' Hoes".
- Also, the "bunk beds" that Brennan and Dale build on their own, although they are extremely proud of their work.
Dale: That looks like the one you would buy from a store.
- Terrible Interviewees Montage: Invoked and played for laughs.
- Also deliberately inverted and weaponized by Dale and Brennan themselves when sabotaging Derek's realty appointments.
- The Unfavorite: Both Brennan and Dale become this after Robert meets Derek and instantly takes a liking to him over his immature and idiotic son and stepson.
- Yandere: Alice becomes this to Dale after he punches her Jerk Ass husband in the face.
- Your Cheating Heart: Dale and Derek's wife Alice have a bizarre, kinky affair based entirely on Dale punching Derek.