Film: Superhero Movie
Not by Seltzer and Friedberg, it's actually from Craig Mazin and David Zucker, the creative team behind Scary Movie 3 and 4. While Superhero Movie still relies on some of their gags, it can still be considered as good a quality movie as the Scary Movie series.Being a parody of the Spider-Man Trilogy films, it uses the basic premise. Kid isn't popular, goes on field trip to science-y place, gets bitten by a bug, gets superpowers. Meanwhile, the kid's crush's boyfriend's uncle's company is working on an untested device that can cure anything and tries it on himself to heal his terminal illness, which is due to kill him in one hour. It explodes, and gives him some nifty powers that allow him to suck the life out of people, starting with the board of directors who were observing his demonstration.
- Alone Among the Couples: After forcing himself to reject Jill, a saddened Rick walks down a street, the people he passes by being exclusively couples (performing more and more exaggerated romantic activities).
- Badass Preacher: In a scene the Pope is hitting Rick. (Especially if we consider that an earlier scene, Rick had defeated several security guards easily.)
- Beard of Sorrow: Parodied. It's fake.
- Black Best Friend: Trey to Rick.
- Black Comedy: Rick being tricked into attacking the Dalai Lama, and the fight that ensues.
- Uncle Albert tries to have sex with the corpse of a woman after confusing her with his dead wife.
- Butt Monkey: Rick. And Lance, to an extent. Stephen Hawking also suffers quite a lot of punishment.
- Comically Missing the Point: The Hourglass's titanium blades can cut through diamonds. But Dragonfly's ace in the hole...?Dragonfly: I'm not wearing any diamonds.
- Lampshaded by an irritated eye-roll from the Hourglass immediately afterward.
- Composite Character:
- Embarrassing Cover Up: After discovering Rick's identity, Lou Landers excuses himself from Thanksgiving dinner by claiming to have "shat [his] pants."
- Fake Hair Drama: Invisible Woman's weave is ripped off by Charles Xavier's wife.
- Farts on Fire: Rick and his girlfriend attempt to have a meaningful conversation by candlelight. Too bad Rick's sleeping aunt keeps farting...
- I Fell for Hours: At the end. Lampshaded by Rick.Rick: Wow, this is a really tall building.
- Jerk Jock: Lance.
- Killer Bees: One of the projects at the school science fair is about how to raise them. Rick accidentally knocks Stephen Hawking into the hive.
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero: Rick seems to do this a lot.
- Oh Crap!: Resulting in this PG-13 movie's Precision F-Strike.
- Overly Long Gag: There's a lot, unfortunately.
- Precision F-StrikeLou: (after a crotch-mounted bomb is right in his face) Oh fuck.
- Riches to Rags: Rick's family was worth billions when he was a little boy. Unfortunately his father was a terrible investor (telling his son to get rid of Google stock and putting everything into Enron while he was dying), so by present day he is middle class.
- Self-Made Orphan: Rick is a rare accidental example; In trying to save his parents from a mugger, he inadvertantly inflicted fatal injures upon them.
- Shout-Out: Leslie Nielsen accidentally sends Stephen Hawking's wheelchair into some railing, and launching Mr. Hawking flying into the air, almost exactly as he did to OJ Simpson in the first Naked Gun movie.
- Stop Helping Me!: When the young Rick tries to fight off a mugger, the mugger's gun shoots wildly, injuring Rick's father and mother. Rick's father begs him to stop after a few moments of this.
- Too Dumb to Live: Rick's father. One photo of him shows him dressed as a Klu Klux Klan member among a group of less-than-amused black people.
- Vomit Discretion Shot: The Hourglass. But at least he gets one, unlike...
- Vomit Indiscretion Shot: Rick. And he ends up feeding the fishes with it.
- Your Costume Needs Work: Done to Rick by a Hollywood Nerd at the Hero-Con.
- You Killed My Father: During the credits, Lance tries to attack Dragonfly for killing his uncle, but is knocked out by Trey.
- You're Not My Father: Parodied:Rick: You're not my father.
Uncle Albert: But I love you like your father did. I believe in you like your father did. I even had sex with your mother just like your father did!