Not by Seltzer and Friedberg
, it's actually from Craig Mazin and David Zucker, the creative team behind Scary Movie 3
. While Superhero Movie
still relies on some of their gags, it can still be considered as good a quality movie as the Scary Movie
Being a parody of the Spider-Man
films, it uses the basic premise. Kid isn't popular, goes on field trip to science-y place, gets bitten by a bug, gets superpowers. Meanwhile, the kid's crush's boyfriend's uncle's company is working on an untested device that can cure anything and tries it on himself to heal his terminal illness, which is due to kill him in one hour. It explodes, and gives him some nifty powers that allow him to suck the life out of people, starting with the board of directors who were observing his demonstration.
This Movie provides examples of:
- Actor Allusion: Rick accidentally kneeling on Leslie Nielsen's groin. It's in the trailer. It's also in Naked Gun 2 ½: The Smell of Fear.
- Badass Preacher: In a scene the Pope is hitting rick.(Especially if we consider that an earlier scene, Rick had defeated several security guards easily.)
- Beard of Sorrow: Parodied. It's fake.
- Black Best Friend: Trey to Rick.
- Black Comedy: Rick being tricked into attacking the Dalai Lama, and the fight that ensues.
- Butt Monkey: Rick. And Lance, to an extent.
- Comically Missing the Point: The Hourglass's titanium blades can cut through diamonds. But Dragonfly's ace in the hole...?
Dragonfly: I'm not wearing any diamonds.
- Lampshaded by an irritated eye-roll from the Hourglass immediately afterward.
- Composite Character: Lance fills the roles of both Flash Thompson and Harry Osborn.
- Divorced Installment: Apparently the script began life as Scary Movie 4, but got turned into its own film after the producers realised they weren't actually spoofing any horror flicks.
- Embarrassing Cover Up
- Fake Hair Drama: Invisible Woman's weave is ripped off by Charles Xavier's wife.
- Farts on Fire: Rick and his girlfriend attempt to have a meaningful conversation by candlelight. Too bad Rick's sleeping aunt keeps farting...
- I Fell for Hours: At the end. Lampshaded by Rick.
"Wow, this is a really tall building."
- Jerk Jock: Lance
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero: Rick seems to do this a lot.
- Oh Crap: Resulting in this PG-13 movie's Precision F-Strike.
- Overly-Long Gag: There's a lot, unfortunately.
- Precision F-Strike
Lou (after a crotch-mounted bomb is right in his face): Oh fuck.
- Riches To Rags: Rick's family was worth billions when he was a little boy. Unfortunately his father was a terrible investor (telling his son to get rid of Google stock and putting everything into Enron while he was dying), so by present day he is middle class.
- Shout-Out: Leslie Nielson accidentally sends Stephen Hawking's wheelchair into some railing, and launching Mr. Hawking flying into the air, almost exactly as he did to OJ Simpson in the first Naked Gun movie.
- Vomit Discretion Shot: The Hourglass. But at least he gets one, unlike...
- Vomit Indiscretion Shot: Rick. And he ends up feeding the fishes with it.
- Your Costume Needs Work: Done to Rick by a Hollywood Nerd at the Hero-Con.
- You're Not My Father: Parodied:
Rick: You're not my father.
Uncle Albert: But I love you like your father did. I looked after you like your father did. I even had sex with your mother just like your father did!