Dark Helmet: Did you see anything!?
Dark Helmet: GOOD!
Irene needs to talk to Alice and Bob. She goes to Bob's room, opens the door and sees Alice and Bob in a compromising position. "Ok," Irene thinks, "just slowly back out of the room and close the door."
This trope is when someone opens a door, sees something unexpected, and does an about face. They may mutter something like, "I'll come back later," "You seem busy," or "Sorry to interrupt." Now what the people in the room are doing may be Not What It Looks Like
, and often isn't even sexual at all. The two people may be summoning a ghost, or conversing with their toys. On the other hand
, this covers solo acts
Afterward, outside the door, the interrupter may start ranting, screaming or searching for Brain Bleach
A common variation is to play the scene from the other side of the door. Albert and Brenda are doing something innocent, and just at the wrong moment, someone opens the door. They're invariably caught when the potential for Not What It Looks Like
is at its highest.
Especially embarrassing when the person accidentally interrupting had previously been purposefully sent away.
Or in...certain other situations
. If shown from the perspective of the couple interrupted, see Interrupted Intimacy
Anime and Manga
- In Spaceballs, Colonel Sandurz interrupts Dark Helmet while the latter is playing with his dolls, leading to the page quote.
- In The Producers, Leo interrupts Max "feeling up the old lady", but Max has to prompt him to fulfill this trope:
Leo: Oh my God!
Max: You mean "oops," don't you? Just say "oops" and get out!
Max: Not "ahahahahahahah!" "Oops"!
[slams the door]
- Airplane!. When Otto the Autopilot starts deflating, Elaine tries to re-inflate him by blowing into a tube at his waist. Dr. Rumack walks into the cockpit and sees her apparently performing fellatio on Otto, then turns around and walks out with a stunned expression on his face.
- That's nothing to the look on Otto's face!
- Does that technically make it "Otto fellatio"?
- In Cars, Lightning McQueen goes to talk to Doc Hudson and walks in on Sheriff getting a tune up, which, judging from McQueen's reaction, appears to be the car equivalent of a colonoscopy.
- Independence Day. Somebody walks in on what looks like a pilot proposing to another pilot.
- In Star Trek: First Contact, Picard is admiring the first human-built warp ship and trying to explain to Data how being close to something makes it seem more real.
Troi: Would you three like to be alone?
- In the Robert A. Heinlein novel Have Spacesuit Will Travel, Kip enters the room and finds Peewee crying. She doesn't notice him, so he sneaks out and then starts to head back while making a lot of noise so she can hear him coming and hide the fact that she was crying.
- In Friends, when Joey, on his way to the men's room, sees Ross kissing Chandler's mom. Joey turns and says, "I'll just pee in the street."
- In another episode, Joey walks into a room, where Ross suddenly accuses him of proposing to Rachel - Joey "realises" that "This isn't the right room!" and quickly escapes.
- When Monica catches Ross and Rachel kissing (long after they've broken up) she says: "I'm sorry, apparently I've opened the door to the past."
- Lampshaded in an episode of House, during a sequence in which at least two people (Wilson and Cameron) separately walk in on the title character receiving a vigorous massage of his bum leg by a physicial therapist. Realizing how suggestive it looks, he shouts, "It's not what it looks like!" to both.
- Another time Cameron and Chase are making out in a janitor's closet. House opens the door suddenly and simply tosses his garbage out before leaving.
- Used and played with in Believe Nothing when Hannah walks in on the main character receiving a vigourous and suggestive back massage from his dogsbody.
Hannah: I'm going through something of a homophobic phase - not that I have any objection in principle to men slathering each other with lubricants prior to penetration.
Adonis: Hannah! There are no sexual undertones whatsoever in this scenario! Are there, Albuman?
Albuman: ... oh.
- In Torchwood Gwen walks in on Jack and Ianto doin' it in the greenhouse. It's followed by a totally unrelated argument between Jack and Gwen, and then Jack drags Ianto back into the room and is seen undressing again.
- Once in Matlock, Matlock was being hugged by an old flame (I think), and is walked in on by assistants Cliff and Jerri. Jerri looks shocked, while Cliff says "Whoopsiedoodle," and drags Jerri back out the door.
- In The George Lopez Show, Max catches George and Angie's sister kissing. Angie's sister, having just gotten divorced, wanted some loving and had grabbed George and started making out with him.
- In the Seinfeld episode "The Kiss Hello," George enters the room just as Kramer kisses Jerry on the lips. He stands in the doorway for a few seconds, then backs out again.
- In one episode of CatDog where Winslow walks in on Dog with Cat all the way down his throat and then some. He immediately turns around and leaves saying, "Oh, never mind."
- A variation occurs in Xiaolin Showdown, when Chase Young has his animal slaves shapeshift to their human warrior forms. Cut to Dojo slithering in, carrying a tray of food... and turning around and slithering right back out without missing a beat.
- In Robot Chicken some random man does this when he enters a public toilet and sees Ted Turner painting himself blue and screaming "CAPTAIN PLANET!".