Maybe it's a little too early to know if this is gonna work
But all I know is you're sure lookin' good in my shirt
After sex (the morning after or right after), a woman comes out of the bedroom wearing nothing but a large shirt belonging to her male partner. Presumably, this is used as a clean indicator of an omitted sex scene because she must have removed her own clothes in order to get into his. She might even wear it before
sex, as a way of showing that she's comfortable around him. Obviously, the trope only works if the woman is smaller than her boyfriend (or if he likes baggy clothes). It helps that this is common in real life.
Easily combined with a Shirtless Scene
for the man.
The male version, a man wearing a wet T-shirt or frilly robe, is much rarer but not nonexistent, and inevitably is played for comedy or embarrassment (or both). Sometimes wearing his lover's pants is used as a more direct equivalent.
A Sub Trope
of Clothing Switch
and Sex Dressed
open/close all folders
- Done, deliberately, for a 2008 Moss Bros. UK ad for men's shirts around Valentine's Day.
- A series of Van Heusen shirt commercials from the late 1980s emphasized this trope.
Anime and Manga
- FLCL - played with - Ninamori's just staying over at Naota's for perfectly innocent reasons, right? Plus, she points out he's small, so his pajamas don't actually fit her. So this cute girl is in his bedroom, in tight clothing, and starts hitting on him in a way as weird as this example of this trope.
- In the manga version, Haruko decides to toy with Naota's hormones by having a sleepover in Naota's room with Mamimi (dressed in a Sexy Santa Dress) and Ninamori, who employs this trope (with Tasuku's shirt) and calls the other two amateurs.
- An odd example (but definitely played for Fanservice) is in Mai Hime, where Mai, during her Heroic BSOD ends up in Reito's house wearing his shirt.
- In Witchblade, Masane Amaha plays this trope straight after a fade out sex scene.
- Subverted in Ikki Tousen Dragon Destiny. Yes, in this particular scene Kaku Bunwa is naked except for her boyfriend Kakuka's shirt. Yes, it's raining so it sticks to her curvy body. And yup, they just had sex... But no, this is not as fanservicy as it sounds, as it happens right when she finds Kakuka bleeding to death in the streets, after his doomed fight with Bashoku.
- Ranma ½: After finding Ranma and Akane alone together in a rather... secluded... spot out in the woods, Ryoga thinks that Ranma raped her when he sees her wearing Ranma's shirt with tears in her eyes. Subverted in that they never actually had sex. She burned off her shirt (long story), he gave her his shirt and they had an argument (as usual).
- In Axis Powers Hetalia, the author once drew England with America's bomber jacket. Fangirls from all around gush in joy.
- In the Sailor Moon manga, we see Usagi in her own dress, but with one of Mamoru's shirts around her shoulders. It's never stated that they have slept together, but many fans see this as an indicative that they did.
- Ayase from Midori Days manga shows up in front of Seiji for in-universe Fanservice in an attempt to woo him. It doesn't work.
- Invoked by Kisaragi-sensei on this page of Umi no Misaki, though it has no effect on Nagi.
- The first time we see the main character of Maicchingu Machiko Sensei, she's sporting this style. Subverted in that it is neither the morning after or the night before. She had simply been changing clothes and was interrupted.
- Subverted in Fruits Basket: Tohru ends up wearing one of Yuki's shirts early in the series after her own clothes are soiled in a landslide. However, there is nothing sexual in the action, and in the end of the series, they both end up with other charas: Tohru marries Yuki's cousin and rival Kyo, while Yuki gets together with his fellow council member Machi.
- They're not in a sexual relationship, but in episode 18 of A Certain Magical Index, Touma enters his room and finds a sleeping Index wearing nothing but one of his shirts. The sight of her makes his nosebleed worse.
- In Mysterious Girlfriend X, Tsubaki develops Cargo Envy for a shirt he left with Urabe, who started wearing it as pajamas.
- Invoked by Momo in To Love-Ru Darkness. While Yui is taking a shower in Rito's house, Momo switches the spare track suit Rito left for Yui with one of Rito's shirts. Like most of her attempts to make Rito less chaste, it fails. In a twist, Yui takes the initiative and tries to seduce Rito.
- Subverted in DNA². When Junta wakes up at morning, he finds Karin sleeping on a futon wearing one of his shirts and her panties... but since Junta is literally allergic to girls, there is NO way something could've happened. Karin was wearing his shirt just because Junta's mother Chiyo put it on her when she was passed out.
- In an issue of Teen Titans, Wonder Girl walks around in Superboy's t-shirt the morning after he takes her virginity.
- Also Titans-related, one of the first indicators that Nightwing and Starfire were intimate was a scene where he was wearing pajama pants while she wore the shirt. Word Of God from Marv Wolfman stated that was so they could depict Kory and Dick as having a sexual relationship and still get it past the Comics Code.
- The same happened in the (also Code-approved) Uncanny X-Men #171 on the morning after Cyclops and Madelyne Pryor had sex for the first time.
- Green Lantern lampshaded this when Donna Troy walks into a nude painting session between Kyle Rayner and his neighbor Allison. Allison, quickly sensing what would happen, says goodbye and leaves the apartment, but not before wearing Kyle's shirt. Donna Troy immediately uses this as part of her argument that something happened. (Nothing happened, actually, since Kyle really was an artist.)
- Kyle got involved with this again the first time he was dating Jen. After a round of sex, she comes over wearing his shirt (though with pants as well, unlike other examples of this) to wish him luck as he goes out on patrol. He actually asks her what's up with women wearing a boyfriend's shirt, if it's some kind of "marking territory" thing, to which she responds "something like that".
- Happened in V3 Legion Of Super-Heroes when Dream Girl was wearing Star Boy's Star-Spangled Spandex.
- This◊ Amazing Spider-Man cover with Black Cat.
- Atom Eve ends up wearing a shirt after some time with Invincible. Curiously enough, he was wearing his superhero costume beforehand, so it seems a lot like she created it with her powers specifically for that scene.
- When Aquaman and Dolphin got it on, Dolphin started wearing Aquaman's gold scaled shirt as a mini-dress. It look a lot better on her than it ever did on him.
- In Circles, after their first time having sex, Taye walks out of the bedroom wearing only one of Marty's shirts.
- There is a Star Wars fic about Mara pretending to be Luke's girlfriend to keep away a Fangirl. Well, the moment they sense that fan approaching their quarters, Mara says "Take off your tunic and give it to me." Then she shows up in front of them wearing nothing but that tunic ...The charade became reality the next day.
- There is a variation in a Teen Titans fic where Beast Boy and Raven have a date and the next morning Beastboy shows up at breakfast... With Raven's blanket. A later chapter contains a more conventional example with Robin and Star.
- In the Avatar The Last Airbender fanfic Iris, Mai comes out of Zuko's room wearing his pajamas.
- Inverted in the Tin Man fantic "The Promise of Touch" where DG asks for one of Cain's shirts to sleep in. It's actually part of her scheme to seduce him - and it works.
- Toyed with in the Beyond Good And Evil fanfic "All Too Human." Hub saves a random woman from a mugger because that's the kind of person he is, and he gives her a shirt of his to wear because her clothes got torn and damp during the mugging. When Jade sees said woman in his shirt, though, she immediately jumps to conclusions.
- In a Phineas And Ferb fanfiction When Lawrence and Linda was still dating, and Linda's kids were still a baby and a toddler, Linda and Lawrence slept together and Linda woke up in Lawrence's shirt.
- Mentioned (and, from an in-universe point of view, subverted) in this Homestuck fanfic. John and Karkat have, in fact, switched bodies, and it only looks like they've switched clothes because they're still wearing their original outfits.
- Referenced and subverted in Lois McMaster Bujold's Brothers in Arms: Referenced when Miles immediately thinks of this trope after he and Elli nearly don each other's t-shirts. Subverted because Miles is so diminutive they wear the same size.
- In one Doctor Who Eighth Doctor Adventures book, we meet an attractive blond girl who's wearing "a baggy white shirt and a tapestry waistcoat", clothes obviously belonging to the Doctor, with her jeans. Another character assumes, for other reasons, that she's the Doctor's girlfriend. Turns out she's his adopted daughter.
- Used in the first book in the Darkest Powers series. When Chloe tries to trick one of the doctors into thinking that she and Derek were having sex instead of trying to escape, she puts on one of his shoes.
Live Action TV
- Keith Urban's song "You Look Good In My Shirt". ...Yeah.
- Timbaland also invokes this in his duet with Nelly Furtado, "Promiscuous Girl," where he says, "I can see you with my t-shirt on..."
- Aaron Lines' "You Can't Hide Beautiful": "Then she falls asleep with just my T-shirt on / But even when her hair's messed up and her makeup's gone / You can't hide beautiful…"
- In Catherine the titular character is always wearing an oversized t-shirt the morning after Vincent's nightmare adventures. This serves to further confuse him as to whether or not they actually had sex the night before.
- Xenosaga episode 3 gives us Shion in Kevin's shirt in a flashback. It's also an unlockable outfit.
- Explained (and then taken in a horribly wrong direction) in Casey And Andy. ("They're usually nearby, they're roomy and comfortable, and there's something feral about the smell of your man.") Then Casey walks in and shows why this doesn't work the other way around.
- Subverted in an early MegaTokyo, where Piro and Ping clearly didn't sleep together, but when Ping answers the door in a slightly-oversized men's shirt, Kimiko jumps to the wrong conclusion.
- Used in El Goonish Shive: Tedd and Grace leave to get some towels. They come back slightly later than they should have, wearing each other's shirts. Interestingly enough, they either don't seem to notice this or pretend they did not. Later, when Nanase receives a clothing-swapping spell (useful for disguise) her girlfriend Ellen immediately proposes that they use it for this trope, much to Nanase's embarrassment.
- A more gender-appropriate inversion appears in Questionable Content, when Faye is convinced Marten and Dora have had sex because he's wearing her pants...except that their implausible excuse turns out to be literally true.
- A more subtle, male version happened in Shortpacked! here, Ethan wearing Mike's old shirt from another webcomic.
- Variation in College Roomies from Hell!!!, where Dave and Blue are interrupted whilst having sex, and get dressed so hastily they end up wearing each others' clothes for Rule of Funny.
- Happens in this Ménage à 3. Though one wonders how Zii's shirt can still fit.
- In Narbonic, Helen is wearing Dave's signature flannel in this strip, right after they have sex for the first time.
- Appears in this xkcd comic, among other things.
- Andrea Beaumont in Batman: Mask of the Phantasm.
- Deputy Director Bullock in American Dad as an example of the male variant on this trope after he gets it on with Haley. Yeah, creepy.
- Even worse, he was wearing her panties.
- In another episode, after Stan has spent a wild night in Vegas with Roger the alien, Roger wakes up wearing Stan's shirt.
- In Drawn Together, Captain Hero wears the top of his pajamas, and Xandir is seen wearing the trousers.
- Young Justice has Artemis wearing nothing but a red shirt for Wally on Valentine's Day, post-Time Skip.
- In G.I. Joe, Lifeline once saved the life of a rich girl named Brittany "Bree" Van Mark. After pursuing him, they end up together, and they spent the night at her father's cabin in Aspen, where she was sporting an over-sized shirt.
- Apparently, this trope was the reason a famous Argentine actor broke up with his actress/singer girlfriend, after another famous singer showed a picture on TV of her wearing his shirt.
- On Russell Brand's old BBC radio show, Matt Morgan once joked that if Russell ever had sex with Noel Fielding and they got dressed in a hurry afterwards and wore each other's clothes, no one would even notice.
- Renee Zellweger was once photographed wearing an oversized man's shirt and very short shorts, which worked together to give this effect.
- Legend has it that Jefferson Davis (Confederate President during the US Civil War) accidentally put on his wife's overcoat when stepping outside to surrender to Union troops. YMMV on the sexy part here.