TV Tropes Needs Your Help
View Kickstarter Project
Big things are happening on TV Tropes! New admins, new designs, fewer ads, mobile versions, beta testing opportunities, thematic discovery engine, fun trope tools and toys, and much more - Learn how to help here
and discuss here
Recap: Buffy The Vampire Slayer S 4 E 19 New Moon Rising
Oz returns, completely in control of his werewolf nature and ready to get back together with Willow. Adam approaches Spike with an interesting proposition.
- All Witches Have Cats: Tara suggests she and Willow get themselves a cat. Willow naturally assumes she means a familiar, but Tara just wants a pet.
- Artistic License – Religion: As a Wiccan, Willow would keep track of the phases of the moon even after Oz left.
- Big Blackout: The Scoobies cut the power in the city grid to help their infiltration of the Initiative.
- Black Eyed Monster
- Buffy Speak: Willow's "extra flame-y" candle.
- The Bus Came Back: Oz
- Captain Obvious: Riley is busted out of his cell were he's awaiting court martial.
Riley: Buffy, if I leave now I can't ever come back. (Buffy gives him a "Well, duh?" look) I just wanted to hear that out loud.
- Colonel Badass: Colonel McNamara
- Coming-Out Story: Although there's a Fantastic Aesop twist in that many of the standard plot points are applied to Oz (as a werewolf) rather than Willow (as a "coming out" lesbian).
- Chekhov's Gunman: One of the hairy hell-hound-like demons that appear during this episode will show up again in "Primeval".
- Double Aesop: Buffy doesn't understand Riley's alarm at the idea of Willow dating someone who turns into a monster at the full moon. Then she gets thrown by the idea of Willow dating another girl.
You realized that Willow was in a... less than conventional relationship, and it gave you momentary wiggins
... it happens.
- Dramatic Stutter: Tara does this a lot as she faces the prospect of losing her girlfriend. It becomes a problem when Riley darts Oz, and Tara can't coherently explain who he is before they drag him away.
- Dressing as the Enemy: Buffy gets back into her Lab Coat Of Science And Medicine and Spike dresses up like "an evil olive" (army greens).
- Enemy Mine
Adam: Come. You're going to help me with my problem.
Adam: Because I am going to help you with yours.
- False Reassurance: Willow confirms to Oz that she isn't seeing another guy.
- Fantastic Racism
- Getting Crap Past the Radar: "It's extra flamey."
- Girl-on-Girl Is Hot: Averted; Oz is furious when he finds out about Tara, though mainly because Willow has been lying by omission, not because of the fact that she is dating a woman.
- Hell-Bent for Leather: Buffy wears the Green Leather Pants Of Relationship Issues.
- Hollywood Hacking: Subverted; Adam is actually doing all the work for them.
- Human Shield: Buffy holds a crossbow to Colonel McNamara's head, and shows she's not completely Book Dumb.
Xander: You'll...bore him to death with free prose?
- I Just Want My Beloved to Be Happy: Tara, though it has more to do with her lack of self-confidence. Oz, too, who asks Willow if she's happy before he leaves town.
- I'll Kill You!
McNamara: You're a dead man.
- Layman's Terms / Rule of Three: Willow translating Scooby Speak for Tara. When Buffy says her "kill-count is way down", that means that there's less bad-guy activity. When that happens, it means something extra evil is brewing. And when Riley says the Initiative has demons coming out of their ears, that's a metaphor.
Tara: I got that, thanks.
Willow: I'm overhelping, aren't I?
- Look What I Can Do Now: Oz gains near-total mastery over his werewolf side by the time he returns, able to stand directly under a full moon without transforming.
- Love Confession: Tara thinks that Willow has decided to go back to Oz.
Willow: (smiles) I am.
- Mix-and-Match Man
Spike: So you help me and you get this chip out of my head?
Adam: Scout's honor.
Spike: You were a boy scout?
Adam: Parts of me.
- Modesty Bedsheet: Averted by having Buffy wear Riley's shirt in bed.
- The Mole: Spike for Adam
- My Friends... and Zoidberg: Tara actually does this to herself; upset that Willow's ex has turned up she leaves the Scooby meeting, telling her "You need to be with your friends."
- No Time to Explain: Buffy is breaking Riley out of the brig.
Riley: How'd you get in?
Buffy: Talk later. Stealthy escape now.
- Not That There's Anything Wrong with That: Buffy is visibly nervous when her Heterosexual Life Partner suddenly comes out as a lesbian.
Buffy: Well, there you go, I mean, you know, you have to - you have to follow your heart, Will. And that's what's important, Will.
Willow: Why do you keep saying my name like that?
Buffy: (with false cheer) Like what, Will?
Willow: Are you freaked?
- Oblivious Mockery: Riley starts talking about how Willow seems too smart to be into dangerous guys, and how weird it is a girl would date someone who might eat her — Post-Bangel Buffy does not respond well.
- Oh, Crap: Spike is giving a Badass Boast while lying in his crypt when he opens his eyes and sees Adam towering over him.
- Oh Wait:
"Wouldn't it be great if one of us were dating a man on the inside, someone with connections...oh, wait!"
- The Paragon Always Rebels: Riley, who finally comes to terms with his loyalties and chooses Buffy.
- Poor Communication Leads To Your Lesbian Lover Being Attacked By A Werewolf
- Punch! Punch! Punch! Uh Oh...:
Adam: Spike. I want you to come with me.
Spike: Do you? Let's go, then. (punch) Ow.
- Relationship Reveal
- Saying Too Much: Colonel McNamara tells Buffy that Riley is in the brig, thinking she's come to rescue him instead of Oz.
- Secret Path: Spike claims to know how to get into the Initiative, based on information he got from other demons who managed to escape.
- Sexy Discretion Shot: Tara blowing out the candle.
- Sexy Shirt Switch: Played straight when Buffy wakes up wearing Riley's shirt, then used as a plot point when Oz realises Tara is Willow's lover when he sees her wearing Willow's sweater.
- Ship Sinking: Averted. Even if there are No Bisexuals in the Whedonverse, Willow makes it clear she will always love Oz.
I feel like some part of me will always be waiting for you. Like if I'm old and blue-haired, and I turn the corner in Istanbul and there you are, I won't be surprised. Because... you're with me, you know?
- Strapped to an Operating Table: Oz being experimented on by the Initiative scientists.
- The Shangri-La: Oz learned to control his wolf side in Tibet.
- Super Senses / The Nose Knows: Oz still has his wolf nose, mistaking Tara for Willow when she walks up behind him because she has Willow's Signature Scent on her.
- Ragtag Bunch of Misfits: The Scoobies are referred to as "anarchists" and "a band of freaks" by McNamara.
- The Stoic: After months of being away, Oz greets everyone with a "Hey!"
- Walking the Earth: Oz seeking his inner cool.
- We Need a Distraction: Buffy drops a stake when walking past a guard, then knees him when he bends down to pick it up for her.
- Your Door Was Open: Played straight when Spike enters Giles' house, and subverted when he pretends the door to the Initiative base is unlocked (actually Adam has opened it electronically).
For a nasty town like Sunnydale, nobody seems to mind their locks.