Alice: Did you know some people actually try to cook the rice without adding water first?
Bob: Oh come on, that's an urban legend, nobody can be that clueless and incompetent! Right, Carol?
Carol: Er… yeah, totally, I can't imagine anyone doing that… ahahaha… hem…Can overlap with an in-universe Old Shame. Compare Oblivious Guilt Slinging, Insult Friendly Fire, Innocently Insensitive and I Resemble That Remark!. Contrast Noodle Incident, where the characters vaguely talk about an event they know but the viewer doesn't. Contrast and compare Who Would Be Stupid Enough?, when Alice tempts fate and is proven right away that someone is stupid enough, and Schmuck Bait. See also It Will Never Catch On. The inverse trope is Right Behind Me, when Alice talks dirty about Bob without knowing he's, well, right behind her. Compare I'm Standing Right Here, where the person is still right there, but the mockery is less oblivious.
ExamplesAnime and Manga
- In one chapter of Naruto, having heard that Jugo went to Orochimaru voluntarily, Suigetsu comments that only someone completely nuts would throw himself into Orochimaru's arms. Right next to Sasuke, who threw himself into Orochimaru's arms for the sake of his revenge.
- In Hajime no Ippo, a flashback shows us how Genji Kamogawa hardened his fists by punching large wooden logs into a hill. Later in the manga, Ippo hits logs into a hill with a hammer to train his leg and body muscles. Itagaki tells Kamogawa about this training.
Kamogawa: He's hitting logs into the earth?! He can't be doing it with his fists?!
Itagaki (laughing): If he did that he'd break his fists! There's no one reckless and stupid enough to do that! He uses a hammer.
Kamogawa: Ye… yeah… fists would be reckless and stupid…
- In Fairy Tail, Gray does this a couple of times to Mirajane.
- There's a Blue Beetle comic where Batman shows Jaime the Brother Eye satellite which went berserk and created an OMAC army in Infinite Crisis. Jaime asks what kind of person would build a machine like that, and Batman asks him not to let Green Arrow hear him say that (Batman was the one who built it).
- In chapter 23 of Recnac Transfaerso (Link here) Ron, who doesn't know what Harry did with his Triwizard Tournament winnings yet, has this dialogue with him:
Ron: Did I tell you about their private investor in their joke shop? Some bloke gave them a bunch of money. They won't tell us who though, said he wants to remain anonymous. What moron would give those two money?
Harry: Hmm, sounds like a good investment to me.
- In this Frozen / Tangled crossover, Eugene is talking with the Duke of Weselton, and mentions that he's from Corona. The Duke replies:
"I have not heard of Corona for a long time, but I have heard of some rumors. Is it true that the offspring of their king and queen has terrible powers of a sorceress, and that the source of her monstrous powers are her hair?""No." said Eugene firmly. "The princess, my wife, is as perfectly normal as anyone would want."
- In the Death Note fic Lies On Yamamoto the oblivious school friend gets into a debate with Light Yagami on how Kira Didn't Think This Through:
Yamamoto: Kira or no Kira crime is never going to disappear. People have always been afraid of dying. That hasn't stopped them before—it's not going to stop them now. Criminals are just gonna get smarter about it, that's all.Light: But the crime rate...Yamamoto: Hasn't improved. Kira has only monopolized murder. You pointed that out to me yourself, remember?Light: Oh... right.Yamamoto: If you think about it, there's plenty of ways to exploit the Kira situation. What if you want to get rid of your enemies fast? Just frame them for murder and get their name and photo on the six o'clock news...
- The villain in Ichigo, Meet Ichigo creates a Phantom Zone that has characteristics of the Mental Worlds of various people he traps within it. Since Ichigo has the most reitasu out of everyone who was captured, it most resembles his inner mind. Which leads to conversations like this-
Kira: What's with the gravity on these buildings? It's like every building is its own center of gravity. It's weird!Ichigo: It's not that weird.Rika: Whoever designed this place must've been weird in the head. I mean, really. It's pretty strange.Ichigo: No, it's not.Mika: It's weird.
- In Sunset Boulevard, writer Joe Gillis complains to the producer Sheldrake that Betty Shaefer, a script reader, would have turned down Gone with the Wind; only for Sheldrake to reply "No. That was me".
- In Mrs. Doubtfire, Daniel mocks a terribly boring kids show host, and wonders what idiot put him on the air. The guy he says this to is the company president and he put him on the air. Luckily, he agrees with Daniel's assessment.
- In David Weber's The War Gods series, Baroness Hanatha Bowmaster asks her daughter Leeana if she tried to ford the river, and Leeana says that no one would be stupid enough to try that with the river 20 yards out of its banks. Hanatha admits that she did, though tries to defend herself by saying the river was only 15 yards out of its banks at the time.
- Several gags in Curb Your Enthusiasm rely on this. Typically, someone tells Larry David how rotten they think George Costanza is or how a plot of Seinfeld was unbelievable because nobody would act that stupidly. They don't realize that George was based on Larry and that many "unbelievable" Seinfeld plots were based on things Larry actually did.
- Played with in Friends: Rachel & Monica discover a message on Ross's answering machine from Emily, Ross's ex-wife. Emily is having second thoughts about her upcoming marriage to someone else. They debate whether or not to erase the message - Monica wants to, Rachel doesn't.
Monica: All right, look. She's obviously unstable, okay? I mean, she's thinking about running out on her wedding day.... (In the first episode, Rachel ran out on her wedding) Okay, fine, but... I mean, look at the position she's putting him in. I mean, what's he going to do? He's like... Ross is going to run over there on the wedding day and break up the marriage? Who would do that? (Rachel did this when Ross & Emily were getting married).... Okay, fine. All right? But that's... you know, that was different. Although it did involve a lot of the same people.
- From Get Smart:
Max: But even if they do get a man into the Pentagon, that's not saying he'll be able to get out. I remember one of our own agents was lost in there for three days.
Chief: Three days? Max, no agent could be that confused.
Max: Well, let me see now. I went in on a Friday...
- Buffy the Vampire Slayer:
Ben: There's an explanation for this. Which I can't exactly give you. I... Can I just tell you it's not my fault?Doctor: Sure. You can also tell me that the dog ate your homework, or maybe eating Twinkies made you do it, or ... maybe yeah, that there's really a wicked demonic creature living inside you that takes control of your body and forces you to do its bidding. Take responsibility for your actions, Ben!
- Xander mocks Spike by saying that only a nutcase or a complete loser would sleep with him...in the presence of Buffy who's done just that the night before. The comment gives her an added incentive not to confess what's happened to her friends and forestall her Destructive Romance.
- When Ben is being fired for not turning up for work for two weeks (5x19), this dialogue happens with a supervising doctor.
- In Doctor Who, when the Doctor and Donna try to solve a murder mystery with Agatha Christie, Donna states how unlikely this scenario is by comparing it with: "meeting Charles Dickens, on Christmas, while surrounded by ghosts." Which is something that happened to the Doctor, before he and Donna met.
- In one episode of QI Alan is talking about how grated cheese tastes better than un-grated but if somebody where to, hypothetically speaking, work for a catering firm and steal a massive bag of grated cheese it tastes awful.
David Mitchell: What sort of twit would do that?
- In the Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney games, a museum worker says that any intelligent person would think that the writing on an urn belonging to a clan whose founder was Ami Fey would say "Ami," and would reassamble the urn to say that if they broke it. Unknown to her, a little girl who broke the urn and is standing with her reassembled it incorrectly such that the name was spelled wrong.
- In Jay's Journey, Omelio wonders aloud what sort of pirate would be dumb enough to deliberately blow up his own ship... in the presence of the pirate who did exactly that.
- Ultra Fast Pony. "Winning" has the scene (for context, Applejack and Apple Bloom are both Irish):
["Riverdance" is playing]
Applejack: Who is making that awful music?
Apple Bloom: I think the Irish did.
Applejack: Who is making that beautiful music?
- In Turnabout Storm, during the investigation, Rainbow Dash gives Phoenix Wright the key to the victim's hotel room and reveals that she found it under the welcome mat. She then notes that only an idiot would hide their spare room key there. Phoenix smiles, nods, and makes a mental note to move his key when he returns home.
- In Super Effective:
Brock: You know, some people actually come here choosing fire as their starter Pokemon. Crazy, huh?
- He says this while standing next to Red, who just happens to have chosen fire.
- Schlock Mercenary has a few, such as this:
Mob soldier: I think some idiot decided to store a stack of hull-plates in that chamber.Ms. Damicco: Oh, that was me. Those are leftovers from another project.Mob soldier: Correction: that room is a great place for hullmetal barricades. Lull the enemy into a false sense of security!
- Early in the Ben 10 What If? episode "Gwen 10", Gwen gets the Omnitrix stuck on her wrist and turns into Heatblast. Ben, who remembers going through this before, warns her about the danger of using fiery powers in the middle of a forest. She immediately responds that only an idiot would set the forest on fire. Naturally, that's exactly what Ben did in the first episode.
- In one episode of Daria, Daria lets Trent talk her into getting her navel pierced. When Jodi finds out, she thinks it's pretty cool "As long as you didn't do it for some guy." causing Daria to say "Uh, no, that would be wrong."