open/close all folders
- My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic (IDW): Shining Armor did something quite elaborate when he asked out Cadence. One wonders how he topped it for the actual marriage proposal.
- Promposal, a Young Adult novel by Rhonda Helms that, as the title indicates, a promposal. Part of the blurb says, "Camilla can't help hoping her secret crush, Benjamin, might randomly surprise her out of the blue with a promposal. However, when she's asked to prom by an irritating casual acquaintance—wearing a fancy tux and standing in front of a news crew—she's forced to say yes."
Live Action TV
- In Awkward., we have "An Indecent Promposal", in which it's, well, Promposal season at high school. For example, Jake asks Gabby to prom by serenading her with an original song in the library.
- One episode of Modern Family had Mitchell and Cam planning a promposal for Luke. Cam wanted a big production, while Mitchell suggested that Luke try the simple approach.
- In the season 1 finale of The Real O'Neals, both Jimmy and Kenny want to do an elaborate promposal, Jimmy to his crush and Kenny to the only other (openly) gay student in the school, the Swedish exchange student. Unfortunately both of them get asked to prom by different people. Jimmy's crush gets asked by another guy, and the exchange student gets asked out by a newly out of the closet Stuart.
- A plot in Zits has Jeremy brainstorm some ways to ask Sara to the prom. His successful attempt is making a print in her latte.
- Wait Wait... Don't Tell Me!: The 05/14/16 edition of "Who's Bill This Time?" had Amy Dickinson compare Paul Ryan waffling on endorsing Donald Trump for president to a promposal.
Peter Grosz: I would love it if, like, at the convention Trump gives a speech, and then just stands up and holds a boom box over his head that plays "In Your Eyes" and then there's, like, a light that focuses on Paul Ryan's seat, and he looks around, like "Me? Is it me?"
- In Episode 10 of The Most Popular Girls in School, Mackenzie is asked out by her boyfriend this way when he tapes a giant red heart to her locker with the words "PROM?" on it.
- Season 2 of RWBY has one bordering on Love Dodecahedron. Jaune tries to ask Weiss to the school dance with a guitar song. She slams the door in his face. He later asks Pyrrha for advice, and she tells him to just straight-up ask her normally. Of course, Pyrrha wants to go with him, though he thinks that being a renowned fighter she's inundated with proposals. In the meantime, Weiss asks Sun's friend Neptune.
- Vampire Cheerleaders: During the "Vampire Cheerleaders Must Die!" arc, Katie and Leonard get roped into going to the prom together as part of Stephanie's plan to get them in, so they could expose Lori and her Coven. Katie's forced to dress up as a Dialek and carry a sign asking him out... in front of the entire school. She's utterly humiliated even though he accepts.
- In 6teen's "Snow Job", Jonsey presents a wrist corsage to Nikki while asking her to be his date for their school's Winter Wonderland dance—just like how a man would present a wedding ring to his future wife. She accepts as she cries Tears of Joy, and they embrace in a kiss (resignifying their status as a couple).
- We Bare Bears: In "Log Ride", a boy does this during the titular ride, holding a sign that reads "PROM?" while his picture is being taken.