Recap: Buffy The Vampire Slayer S 4 E 18 Where The Wild Things Are
Riley: But I have that thing.
Buffy: Right, that thing that we can squeeze in before. We gotta go.
Willow: They probably mean—
Giles: I know what they mean. I did go to university in the Mesozoic era.The spirits of sexually repressed teens are wreaking havoc in Riley's frat house.
- A Day in the Limelight: Everyone except Buffy and Riley.
- Aliens Made Them Do It: Or ghosts, in this case.
- All Girls Like Ponies: Averted with Willow who once had a bad birthday pony experience. Tara offers to teach her horse riding.
- A Man Is Always Eager: Anya thinks Xander is going to break up with her because they went a night without having sex.
- Aroused by Their Voice: The female Scoobies think Giles' singing is quite sexy.
- As the Good Book Says: Graham Not Himself.
- Battle Couple: Buffy and Riley tag-team to take down a demon/vampire tag team. Who says we can't just get along?
- Bound and Gagged: Spike is sitting in a chair, smirking at all the chaos around him, when suddenly straps whip across his arms and mouth.
- Bad Humor Truck: Xander and Anya are having an argument, and Xander suggests making up with hot sweaty sex then and there...only to realise a family with small children are standing outside their ice cream truck listening to them.
- Bad Vibrations
- Bait-and-Switch Comment: Xander asks for volunteers to go back in and rescue Buffy and Riley. No-one is particularly eager until Spike surprises everyone by speaking up.I know I'm not the first choice for heroics ... and Buffy's tried to kill me more than once. And, I don't fancy a single one of you at all. But... (pauses) Actually, all that sounds pretty convincing. (shakes his head and walks off) I wonder if Asian House is open.
- Blatant Lies: Riley/Buffy's excuses for nipping off for sex.Buffy: I need you to take a look at... an essay... for class.Riley: That essay. right. I'll catch you guys in a minute. There's an essay... gotta look at.Graham: And I'm the one who got a "D" in Covert Ops.
- The Cast Showoff: Giles sings for the first time.
- Death by Sex: Well there are much worse fates than being screwed to death by Buffy.
- Deliberately Distressed Damsel (and Dude): Buffy and Riley aren't very upset at being forced to have constant sex.
- Dramatic Curtain Toss: The shower curtain surrounding the bath.
- Drowning My Sorrows: Spike and Anya share a drink at the Bronze and bemoan their Badass Decay.
- Everything Sounds Sexier in French: A college student is chatting up a girl by talking of the lyrical eroticism of French. Then he puts his hand on the 'orgasm spot' and moans. The girls goes, "Wow, you really like French!"
- Failed Attempt at Drama: Xander says he's going in to get his friends, only to get hurled out the frat house door by an invisible force. "Or it could be Watcher time."
- Fantastic Racism: Subverted, demons and vampires are working together, inspired by Adam.Willow: Huh. Just like Martin Luther King.
- Fetish: Willow moaning at Giles singing before saying how she had such a crush on him.
- Foreshadowing: Spike suggests to Anya they get revenge on their significant others. In Season 6 after Buffy dumps Spike and Xander leaves Anya at the altar, the two sleep together for comfort and revenge.
- Freud Was Right: In-Universe when Anya tells Xander that the only thing they have in common is they both like his penis. Unless she was referring to A Date with Rosie Palms.
- Ghostly Chill: Graham and Forrest are complaining how cold the frat house is.
- Haunted House: Turns out though it's not actually haunted.
- Hilarious in Hindsight: Buffy saying to Riley, "You get fangs, I get horny." Riley later breaks up with Buffy because he thinks she's not as passionate about him as she is towards vampires like Angel, Dracula and Spike. Maybe if he got some fangs though...
- Holier Than Thou: The woman who ran Lowell house as an orphanage.
- Interplay of Sex and Violence: Fighting Fangs and Horny does indeed make Buffy and Riley horny.
- Ironic Echo: Anya brings Spike to the frat party, casually revealing that it's full of Initiative soldiers.Spike: What are you doing? You brought me here?Xander: Anya! (sees Spike) What are you doing? You brought him here?Spike: That's what I said...only I hit the 'here' part.
- Jaw Drop: Willow and Xander watching Giles sing.
- Living Memory
- Longing Look: Riley and Buffy aren't paying attention to what their friends at the party are saying because they're too busy making gooey eyes at each other. Willow uses the opportunity to confess to spilling something on Buffy's 'borrowed' sweater.
- Love Is in the Air
- Madness Mantra: Julie cutting off her hair. "I'm bad, I'm bad, I'm bad..."
- Machete Mayhem: Xander hacks through the vines.
- Makeout Kids
- Man on Fire: Buffy and Riley upstairs stokes the fire downstairs until it explodes in the face of an Initiative soldier. Fortunately his colleagues are there to throw a fraternity banner on him.
- Mental Affair: The 'orgasm spot' on the wall.
- Modesty Bedsheet: Buffy and Riley are shown going at it over and over as the camera pulls back, but discretely shows both wrapped in the bedsheet.
- Not Herself: Tara's homophobic reaction to Willow touching her. Buffy and Riley not responding to Willow's scream. Played for Laughs with Giles' guitar playing.Tara: Does he do this a lot?
Xander: Sure. Every day the Earth rotates backward and the skies turn orange.
- Not Listening to Me, Are You?Xander: [re Anya] Which, makes me wonder, is it me? Am I the crazy one?Buffy: (looking at Riley) Uh-huh. Absolutely.Willow: Hey, Buffy, this might be a good time to mention that someone, so not me, spilled something purply on your new peasant top which I would never borrow without asking. Still love me?Buffy: Uh-huh. [beat] Huh? What about my peasant top?Willow: Nothin'.
- Not So Dire: After the Crisis of the Week is over...Riley: I can't believe that really happened.Buffy: That's so creepy. [beat] Giles really sang?
- Oblivious Mockery: Giles is annoyed to hear the Initiative commandoes will be having a party instead of patrolling for Adam. Riley calmly explains it's his idea, as his men are getting stressed out and need some R & R.
- Only Sane Man: Well, several here actually.
- Out with a Bang: What the Scoobies narrowly prevent happening to Buffy and Riley.
- Person as Verb: "People are going all Felicity with their hair".
- Playing Against Type: Typical sweet old lady actress Kathryn Joosten as a disturbing religious nut who ruined the lives of the children under her care.
- The Power of Lovemaking
- Ship Tease: Willow likes Giles' sexy singing voice, and reveals she used to have a crush on him.
- Sophisticated as Hell: Willow appealing to the ghosts to "Transform your pain...release your past...get over it."
- Spin the Bottle: The bottle ends up spinning on its own and exploding into everyone's faces.
- Spooky Seance
- STD Immunity: Averted; Riley has a drawer by the bed with condoms.
- Talk About That Thing
- That Came Out WrongGiles: In the midst of all that, you really think they were keeping it up? (everyone looks at him) Oh, for a different phrasing.
Buffy: You get Fangs, I'll get Horny. I mean...
- Buffy/Riley are attacked by a vampire and a Horned Humanoid.
- Traumatic Haircut: The caretaker would cut off the hair of girls she found 'preening' — this is self-inflicted on one of the current residents.
- The Triple / Comically Missing the PointXander: What do you feel?Anya: Sad, afraid of being without you, and a little hungry.Xander: I meant about the house.
- Vampires Are Rich: Averted; Spike has to resort to mugging for his booze and cigarette money. He can't actually attack anyone, but his Game Face is good for scaring people.
- Walking Shirtless Scene: Riley shows off his abs.
- When Trees Attack: Anya is attacked by deadly vines, one of which gives her an Impaled Palm.
- Why Do You Keep Changing Jobs?: Xander the ice cream man.
- You Have Got to Be Kidding Me!: Forrest's reaction to hearing the Biley bonkfest. "Do they ever come up for air?"