Recap: Buffy The Vampire Slayer S 4 E 5 Beer Bad
It's nice. Foamy. Comforting. It's beer...
Buffy is still recovering from being dumped by Parker and finds solace with a bunch of guys who become her drinking buddies.
- Aesop: Too much beer is bad for you. Or perhaps all men are Neanderthals at heart.
- Alcohol-Induced Idiocy
- All Cavemen Were Neanderthals
- All Men Are Perverts
Willow: There are men, better men, wherein the mind is stronger than the penis.
Xander: Pfft. NOTHING CAN DEFEAT THE PENIS! Too loud. Very unseemly.
- Asshole Victims: The frat boys.
Xander: This will give them some time to ponder the geo-political ramifications of BEING MEAN TO ME!
- Bait and Switch: Willow appears to be falling for Parker's charms, but then she laughs and tells Parker what she thinks of him.
- Also, Cave!Buffy picking up a fire extinguisher, looking at the fire, looking at the extinguisher, figuring something out... and then tossing the extinguisher at the fire and looking puzzled.
- The Bartender: Xander gets a job as bartender and looks forward to acting as The Confidant to pretty girls, only to get run off his feet and insulted by arrogant frat boys. When one pretty girl does look ready to pour out her troubles, Xander brushes her off because he's too busy worrying about Buffy getting plastered with those same frat boys. He ends up quitting his job in a huff just because the owner brewed up some cursed beer that turned those drinking it into Neaderthals. Some people just can't be satisfied.
- Buffy Speak: Buffy is suffering the afterness of a bad night of badness.
- Can't Get Away with Nuthin'
- Chekhov's Classroom: Professor Walsh's lecture on the id.
- Comically Missing the Point: Xander asking a customer if he wants his ice water on the rocks.
- Crash into Hello: Buffy spills the beer of both Riley and the frat boys.
- The Casanova: Parker; confirmed by Riley.
- Daydream Surprise: Buffy keeps fantasizing a Rescue Romance with Parker. The second dream involves Parker with his shirt open, holding flowers and ice cream.
- Death Glare
Xander: Giles, don't make Cave!Slayer unhappy.
- Devolution Device
- Drowning My Sorrows: Buffy distraught over Parker's lack of interest in her.
- Fur Bikini: Unfortunately averted, as Xander laments in "Something Blue".
Buffy: Anyone remember when Buffy had the fun beer-fest and went One Million Years B.C.?
Xander: Sadly without the fuzzy bikini.
- Get Your Mind Out of the Gutter: Buffy calls Willow 'Gutter Brain' when Willow takes Buffy's account of the previous night to involve group sex, not drinking beer with four guys.
- Green-Eyed Monster: Willow is alarmed to notice the way Oz is staring at Veruca as she sings.
Buff, have you heard of this Veruca chick? Dresses like Faith
, voice like an albatross?
- Karma Houdini: The bar owner who caused the whole mess gets off with nothing worse than Xander telling him "You're a bad man."
- Kick the Son of a Bitch: Cave!Slayer clubs Parker over the head again; Giles, Willow and Xander just shrug and walk off.
- Nubile Savage: The frat boys grow crooked teeth, heavy brow ridges, and plenty of extra hair. Buffy, who also had plenty to drink, looks like Buffy with sexy-unkempt hair (Xander did cut her off earlier).
- Paper-Thin Disguise: The fake moustache Xander wears on his fake ID.
Xander: What gives it away?
Willow: Looking at it?
- Perverted Sniffing: Cave!Slayer sniffing Xander.
- Phlebotinum Induced Stupidity: A bar-owner brews up some cursed beer for some Jerk Ass college students that turn them into cavemen.
- Rescue Romance: Spoofed; Buffy keeps dreaming of earning Parker's eternal gratitude this way, but when the opportunity arises she's a cavewoman so she just clubs him over the head.
- Retroactive Recognition: One of the frat boys is Kal Penn.
- Sesquipedalian Loquaciousness: The frat boys.
- Shaped Like Itself
Willow: I'm tired of you men, and your...man-ness.
- Space Whale Aesop: The episode was written so the show could apply for funding from the National Office of Drug Control Policy, but they rejected it because the Fantastic Aesop was too fantastical.
- Spoof Aesop
Xander: And was there a lesson in all this? huh? What did we learn about beer?
Cave Buffy: Foamy.
Xander: Good, just as long as that's clear.
- Swivel-Chair Antics: Cave!Buffy manages to fall off one.
- Technicolor Science: Brewing up the cursed beer.
- Tempting Fate
Willow: I tell you, men haven't changed since the Dawn of Time! (cavemen burst in)
- This Is My Boomstick: Xander scares a quartet of college kids cum cavemen with his lighter. "Fire angry!"
- Think Nothing of It
Parker: Buffy, I don't know what to say. After the way I've treated you, and now I owe you my life.
Buffy: It's nothing.
Parker: It's everything. You're everything. And I'm going to do whatever it takes to get you to forgive me. Do you think that you might—
[Buffy snaps out of her daydream at the sight of Parker chatting up another girl]
- Title Drop
Buffy: Ow, oh, want beer. Like beer. Beer good.
- You No Take Candle: Cave!Buffy Speak