Theatre: Barefoot in the Park
A popular Romantic Comedy by Neil Simon which premiered on Broadway in 1963.Newlyweds Corie and Paul Bratter return from their honeymoon ready to start their exciting new life together in a minuscule fifth-floor walkup apartment in a downtown-Manhattan brownstone, but things aren't exactly going as planned. The impulsive Corie's apartment choice doesn't meet Paul's - or any sane person's - standards. Six exhausting flights of stairs lead to a one-room apartment which lacks bathtub, furniture, heat, and room for a double bed. What highlights does the apartment supply? Quirky neighbors, including oddball neighbor Victor Velasco, and a giant hole in the skylight.Made into a movie in 1967, starring Robert Redford as Paul (he played the role on Broadway too) and Jane Fonda as Corie. The play has also received two TV adaptations: a short-lived ABC sitcom in 1970, and a 1980 special on HBO.
- Alliterative Name: Victor Velasco.
- Beta Couple: Victor Velasco and Corie's mom, Ethel.
- Deadpan Snarker: Paul.
- Exiled to the Couch: Paul.
- Funny Foreigner: Victor Velasco.
- Hilarity Ensues
- Insatiable Newlyweds: In the film, Paul and Corie don't leave their honeymoon suite for days.
- I Want Grandkids: Corie's mother.
- Last Minute Hook Up: Victor and Corie's mom.
- Manic Pixie Dream Girl: Corie.
- New York City
- Romantic Comedy
- Sexy Shirt Switch: Corie is shown wearing Paul's shirt after he leaves their honeymoon suite for the first time.
- Savvy Guy, Energetic Girl: Paul is a straight-laced attorney, Corie a far more spontaneous free spirit.
- Uptight Loves Wild