open/close all folders
Anime & Manga
- Many Digimon; Digitamamon takes it to the extreme, with a complete eggshell body and cracks for legs and eye slits. He can leap at an enemy and close all the cracks to basically use himself as a battering ram. (In case you're wondering, Digitamamon has a pocket universe in there. His attack is to pull you in for a few seconds. It is called Nightmare Syndrome. We saw the inside briefly and it goes on forever, and there's still no sign of what the Digitamamon's whole body within the egg looks like.) There's a so-far-cardgame-only evil version named Devitamamon with a head made of monstrous jaws and too many eyes coming out of the eye slot.
- A character in the (pretty dark) comic book series Gaspard de la nuit is an unhatched egg save two duck-like legs sticking out from holes in the bottom. The character at one point explains that it hasn't fully hatched because it is afraid of the world outside.
- One-shot villain Baby Bird from Empowered. See also the WMG.
- In the Archie Comics' Sonic The Hedgehog comic, the character Speedy, heir to the leadership of the Battle Bird Armada, wears an eggshell around his crotch, which fans often point out makes him look like he's wearing a diaper.
Films — Animation
- He didn't stay this way of course, but Mumble in Happy Feet cracked through his shell with just his feet, and wandered around in this way until he slipped and the rest of it broke.
- MapleStory: For the Evan class, Mir during his just-hatched Ridiculously Cute Critter moment.
- The eponymous hero of Ivy the Kiwi?
- In Sonic Adventure and Sonic Adventure 2, your Chao can wear eggshells as hats.
- Mario series:
- Jr. Troopa from Paper Mario.
- Averted with the Yoshi Kid from the sequel, where his diaper/shorts only have a similar polka-dot pattern as a Yoshi egg.
- The Dino Piranha (and Fiery Dino Piranha) boss in Super Mario Galaxy exhibit the "egg with feet" aspect of this trope until you deliver the first hit and crack the shell.
- The first boss in Super Mario Galaxy 2.
- Jr. Troopa from Paper Mario.
- Initially, the Moon Hamachao from the "Moonfish" sidequest of Skies of Arcadia: Legends — until you feed it enough Moonfish that it grows out of it.
- Togepi. Its evolved forms are weird because they match the colors/patterns of the eggshell rather than Togepi's body.
- Vullaby may also look like this at a glance since it's a baby bird, but it's actually wearing a skull as a diaper.
- Egbert from World of Warcraft is a pet you can get in the game. The egg covers the center part of his body.
- The Picky enemy from Ragnarok Online has two variants, one with half an eggshell on its head. For some reason, when the eggshell drops, it becomes large enough to be worn by player characters.
- In Odin Sphere, King Valentine hatches Leventhan, the Last Dragon, by placing his crown infused with his magic on its egg. When Leventhan hatches it still wears a piece of eggshell and the crown on it like a hat.
- Done in a couple of Looney Tunes shorts.
- In one a turtle egg gets separated and wanders around trying to hatch, and when he does he complains that he's still in a shell.
- In another it's a duck egg trying to find a place to get warm. The mother duck finds it and saves it from being boiled; as she picks him out of the pot, the duckling hatches and shouts "Aw, ma! Just when I was getting warm!" and jumps back in.
- In The Penguins of Madagascar episode "Paternal Egg-stinct", the duck egg the penguins are taking care of sprouts legs and wanders around the zoo.
- In Dexter's Laboratory, Dee Dee mistakes a turtle for one of these, and then a bird that is one of these for a turtle.
- One of the "Buttons and Mindy" sketches from Animaniacs has a Stone Age Mindy chasing a baby dinosaur where only the legs had hatched out of the egg.
- The eponymous hero chick of Calimero (pictured above) wears his egg shell as a hat. He sometimes takes it off to put it to other uses (like an improvised raft).
- Abby, the baby in Birdz, uses an eggshell diaper. Also, Mr. Nuthatch wears one on his head as a hat.