F@NB0Y$ is a web comic by Scott Dewitt. The comic is centered on two fanboys and one fangirl, each rooting for their own company.
- Lemmy, the Nintendo fan. The Ditz of the team. Don't call Nintendo kiddy in his vicinity.
- Paul, the Sony fan. Unemployed -for a while- snarker of the team. Previous Sega fanboy and childhood friend of Lemmy.
- Sylvia, the Microsoft/Xbox fan. Never handled a console before the Xbox, came out of nowhere in the second episode but found a place in Lemmy's heart quite soon.
This comic provides examples of:
- Aborted Arc: "THEY GOT TO THE BANK; THE END."
- Under Review abruptly ended soon after the critic arrived at the store.
- Actually Pretty Funny: You put some real thought into this, huh?
- Appliance Defenestration: A certain show puts Paul in a fit of rage.
- Art Evolution: Went through a drastic one after the comic was criticized on Something Awful.
- Author Appeal: Scott has made it very clear that he likes his Team Fortress 2.
- Back to Front: See the comic above by Appliance Defenestration.
- Berserk Button: Lemmy goes into "Angry Clown Mode" when someone calls Nintendo "kiddy." Paul uses this to get bounty money.
- Bile Fascination: Conversed In-Universe in this strip.
- Brain Bleach: Paul sees Sylvia and Lemmy dressed up respectively as Spike and Twilight Sparkle from My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic. And Sylvia is trying to ride Lemmy.
- Cerebus Syndrome: The author tried this when people on Something Awful mocked his comic for being too generic. The ensuing Wangst that the characters displayed pissed everybody else on the Internet off, and he decided to come to a happy medium afterwards. Strip 200 also lampshades this, providing the trope's page image.
- Clasp Your Hands If You Deceive: Played for laughs in a WoW joke.
- Cosplay Otaku Girl: Sylvia.
- Demoted to Extra: Chess and Will. Lampshaded when Will returns and Lemmy doesn't remember him.
- Description Cut: Sylvia tries The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time:Sylvia: This game is going to suck. Hard.
Lemmy: Sylvia, it's three in the morning. I think it's time to shut off the Wii and sleep.
Sylvia: Just one more... dungeon...
- Don't Fear the Reaper: He's actually pretty chill. Apart from having a twisted sense of humor, that is.
- Eye Scream: The perils of ice cream shaped like faces.
- Fan Disservice: Paul challenges Sylvia to Pokémon Black and White, dressed as the female trainer. Hairy legs and Daisy Dukes do not mix.
- Fanservice: Sylvia cosplaying Midna. It looks like she doesn't wear any clothes, just bodypainting. She also wears a skintight Zero Suit Samus-Costume in one Halloween strip and there is a Beach Arc.
- Five-Token Band: Parodied here.
- The Grim Reaper: He enjoys pool and is bribed by Paul.
- Incredibly Lame Pun: Paul is not amused.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Paul. More jerk and less gold most of the time, but recently seems to be showing some heart.
- Just One More Level: In-universe with Sylvia playing The Legend of Zelda games for the first time.
- Lucky Charms Title: F@NB0Y$
- Noodle Incident: Paul shows Lemmy and Sylvia the night of their lives when Lemmy wins ten thousand dollars. This is the aftermath.
- Oral Fixation: Paul is pretty much never seen without a cigarette.
- Paper-Thin Disguise: This Team Fortress 2 parody.
- Pink Means Feminine: Sylvia has several pink items of clothing.
- Power Trio: Lemmy's the id, Paul's the superego, and Sylvia's the ego.
- Lemmy and Paul often switch back and forth between the id and superego roles depending on which is funnier.
- "Rashomon"-Style: Compare these.
- Real Men Wear Pink: Paul and Lemmy are bronies.
- Recycled In Space, "Freaky Friday" Flip, Spinoff Babies: Parodied in "Popular Trends."
- Running Gag:
- Lemmy and Sylvia getting caught cosplaying by Paul and his subsequent trauma.
- Creepy Mario randomly showing up and staring.
- Self-Deprecation: Here.
- Shout-Out: Death's cat, Marvin, who was shot in the face.
- Hell, there are a bunch of little ones you can find if you look real closely, including the hidden Homestar Runner cameos.
- Look closely in the background, and you'll see someone from another videogame webcomic...
- From the same webcomic, has a hobo but is not that hobo, instead has an animal from the webcomic.
- Shower of Angst: Which turns quickly into a Shower of Love.
- Sliding Scale of Silliness Versus Seriousness: All the time.
- Smoking Is Cool: Paul.
- Supreme Chef: Turns out Lemmy can cook.
- Sustained Misunderstanding: Lemmy and Sylvia are going through his old Nintendo Power collection, and finds the fold out posters it used to have; Paul walks in and it looks like they're looking at a porn magazine. Lemmy realizes what Paul is thinking and tells him that it's Sonic the Hedgehog. At first Paul thought it was odd, but that creeps him out.
- Take That: A comic mocking the idea of a "dark, epic" Spyro game segues into a Rugrats joke, but not before taking a shot at an infamous Ctrl+Alt+Del panel.
- Testosterone Poisoning: The TESTOSTER-PHONE. Running on MANDROID.
- Up to Eleven: "That's right. I hacked the board game."
- Visual Pun: A shameless plug.
- What Measure Is a Mook?: When Paul accidentally steps on a Halloween pumpkin, he sets up a few more pumpkins and creates a scene depicting the aftermath of Mario stomping a goomba.
- Women Are Wiser: Gender-inversion with lampshade:Paul: You know, it's usually the girl who proves the guy wrong.
Sylvia: Bite me, Paul.
- Worth It: The above-mentioned Noodle Incident.