Nicholas King "Nick" Nolte (born February 8, 1941) is an American actor. His films include The Deep, 48 Hrs. series, Down and Out in Beverly Hills, The Prince of Tides, Cape Fear, Lorenzo's Oil, Affliction, The Thin Red Line, Hulk, The Good Thief, and Warrior. He has been nominated for three Academy Awards, twice for Best Actor and once for Best Supporting Actor.
open/close all folders
He appeared in
- Down and Out in Beverly Hills
- Cannery Row
- 48 Hrs.
- Extreme Prejudice'
- New York Stories
- Cape Fear
- The Player
- Mulholland Falls
- Mother Night
- The Thin Red Line
- Breakfast of Champions
- The Good Thief
- Hotel Rwanda
- Over the Hedge
- Off The Black
- The Mysteries of Pittsburgh
- The Spiderwick Chronicles
- Tropic Thunder
- Gangster Squad
- Death Glare: IMDb notes that he has a "cold and unsettling" stare.
- Guttural Growler: Is known for his husky voice.
- Production Posse: One of his closest friends is writer-director Alan Rudolph. They have worked together on four films.
- The Rival: Harrison Ford and Kurt Russell are his biggest competitions in his prime.
- Type Casting: Is constantly cast crazed and unstable characters.
- What Could Have Been:
- He, along with Christopher Walken, were both considered for the role of Han Solo in Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope.
- Turned down the role of Indiana Jones in Raiders of the Lost Ark. Noticing a pattern here?
- Was supposed to host Saturday Night Live back in 1982 as part of the promotional tour for 48 Hrs., which was the film debut of then SNL star Eddie Murphy, but fell ill at the last minute and had to drop out, so Murphy hosted in his place.
- Was considered for the role of Superman/Clark Kent in Superman.
- He eagerly pursued the role of Cpt. Willard in Apocalypse Now. When Harvey Keitel was fired, Nolte thought he had the part, but Coppola gave it to Martin Sheen.
- Considered for the lead in The Thing (1982).
- Considered for the role of the titular John Rambo.
- Was cast in Pride And Glory, but just before shooting began, an old knee injury flared up from his footballing days and he had to drop out.
- Was considered for the role of "Rick Deckard" in Blade Runner, one of three roles that ultimately went to Harrison Ford.
- Was considered for the role of Jeffrey Goines in 12 Monkeys.
- Was set to star in Tequila Sunrise, but dropped out. Kurt Russell got the part.
- Declined the role of Snake Plissken in Escape from New York. The part eventually went to Kurt Russell.