"I love you, Tycho Brohe."At the intersection of the buddy picture and the romantic comedy lies the bromantic comedy. In this case, however, both leads will be male and the relationship pursued will be strictly platonic, possibly diving headlong into "no homo" territory. Also unlike its romantic counterpart, a true Brom-Com is decidedly not a Chick Flick. Distinguishing between this trope and the buddy picture is a little more complicated, but a preliminary way to mark the difference is that a pure bromantic comedy would not center around, for example, unlikely allies coming together to overcome adversity. Rather, the plot of a Bro-Com is specifically driven by the relationship between the characters themselves, much like a regular Rom Com. Naturally, if things work out well, the story culminates in a (more or less) straightforward bromance.
— Sydney (during his new best friend's weddingnote ), I Love You Man
- 21 Jump Street has a number of bromantic moments, such as Schmidt asking his partner Jenko to prom (as part of their undercover work) and Jenko climbing all over Schmidt in bed. Though they start as high school enemies, by the end it has become a full-on bromance.
- Evasive Inquiry Agency
- The Green Hornet gives this a superhero twist. It uses a lot of the Bromantic Comedy tropes in order to deconstruct/reconstruct the hero/sidekick dynamic.
- Hot Fuzz fits the bill rather well. Amusingly, most of this owes itself to the fact that Angel was meant to have a love interest named Victoria, but after she was cut, most of her lines were given to Danny with surprisingly few changes.
- I Love You Man, which embraces and adapts countless Rom Com tropes.
- Love Actually is a Rom Com that has multiple couples, one of them is a bromantic couple.
- Plan B is mainly about the bromantic friendship between a man and his ex-girlfriend's boyfriend. And while it tips into full-blown Queer Romance near the end, the bromance is just as integral to the film and its characters as the romance.
- Though some versions of The Producers have a romantic subplot between Leo and Ulla, the main story of all versions is about how Leo Bloom and Max Bialystock came to be Heterosexual Life-Partners (in crime) on Broadway. Near the end, it even has Leo testifying in court to what a great friend Max has been to him.
- The first half of Melody (S.W.A.L.K.) is about how Daniel makes friends with Ornshaw before it heads into Romantic Comedy territory with Melody.
- Roger Ebert once described Withnail & I as 'a Bromance going horribly wrong'.