"Benedict is this sort of beautiful, exotic creature. He’s never going to play an ordinary man, ‘cause he couldn’t. That’s not what he’s like, but he will tell the stories of great men."Benedict Timothy Carlton Cumberbatch
(London, 1976) is a British stage, film, television, and voice actor with an awesome name
. Despite being in the entertainment business for ten years, he only recently skyrocketed into international stardom with his BAFTA, Emmy and Golden Globe nominated portrayal of Sherlock Holmes
. Now amongst the most sought-after people in showbiz, he has been hailed as one of the best actors of his generation.
Cumberbatch is well known for his ridiculously perfect cheekbones, remarkable intellect, and velvet-smooth baritone voice. The Times
has described his voice as a "jaguar hiding in a cello", and the Jaguar marketing team agrees with this
An unlikely sex symbol, he landed the #1 spot on The Sun's
"Sexiest Man Alive" list two years in a row in 2012 and 2013 (apparently he "hadn't taken anything less seriously in all his life
") by a landslide thanks to his devoted fanbase. He was also hailed by Empire Magazine's
50, 000 international readers as "World's Sexiest Actor" in 2013. It looks like brainy is the new sexy after all!His notable works include:
- Atonement as Paul Marshall, an Upper-Class Twit and child rapist.
- Starter For 10 as Patrick Watts, an Upper-Class Wit and University Challenge team captain.
- Sherlock as Sherlock Holmes.
- To the Ends of the Earth as Upper-Class Twit Edmund Talbot.
- Hawking as Stephen Hawking.
- Seems to be the go-to guy for Stephen Hawking. He also did Professor Hawking's narration on the documentary Stephen Hawking's Grand Design.
- The Last Enemy as Stephen Ezard, a socially inept mathematician with OCD.
- Nathan Barley as Robin.
- Amazing Grace as William Pitt.
- The Other Boleyn Girl as William Carey (Scarlett Johansson's husband.)
- Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy as Peter Guillam.
- War Horse as Major Jamie Stewart.
- The Hobbit as the voice and motion capture of the dragon Smaug, as well as the Necromancer/Sauron (reuniting with Sherlock co-star Martin Freeman).
- Cabin Pressure as Captain Martin Crieff, an airline pilot.
- Big Finish Doctor Who as Howard Carter and "Thing 2".
- Third Star as James Kimberly Griffith, a dying man who makes one final journey.
- Star Trek: Into Darkness as John Harrison. A.K.A. Khan Noonien Singh.
- The Fifth Estate as Julian Assange
- Fortysomething as Rory Slippery.
- Danny Boyle's stage adaptation of Frankenstein, alternating between Victor and the Monster.
- Parade's End as Christopher Tietjens, based on Ford Madox Ford's novel.
- 12 Years a Slave as William Ford, Solomon Northup's first slaveowner.
Exhibits examples of:
- Badass Baritone/Evil Sounds Deep: His voice is quite deep, to say the least.
- Covers Always Lie: The DVD of the Mini Series To The Ends Of The Earth pushed Benedict (who was the star) off of the cover in favor of Sam Neill, even though he plays a very minor character.
- Description Porn: If he is to write an article, chances are it will end up having this. Just take a look at the recount of his diving trip, or his thoughts on classical music.
- Fan Community Nickname: Initially his fans called themselves Cumberbitches. After he stated that he thought that the name set feminism back (and suggested Cumberpeople), some has now moved on to:
- Cumbercookies (because multiple Cumbercookies make a Cumberbatch).
- His Vietnamese fans dub themselves Qcumbers.
- Male Frontal Nudity: The National Theatre's 2011 production of Frankenstein had Benedict Cumberbatch or Jonny Lee Miller (depending on the night) spending about 20 minutes completely nude as the Monster, as he came to life and learned how to move, walk etc.
- Running Gag: During promotion for The Hobbit, interviewers would bring up his voice work for Smaug, and Benedict would interject that he also did the motion-capture as well.
- Serkis Folk: Provides motion capture and the voice for Smaug and the Necromancer in Peter Jackson's The Hobbit.
- Sesame Street Cred: He made his debut counting with the Count and Murray-(arty).
- Upper-Class Twit: Very good at getting cast as these, although lately he's been breaking away from that to avoid typecasting.