The Fifth Estate
is a movie directed by Bill Condon about the founding of the controversial website Wikileaks. It stars Benedict Cumberbatch
as Julian Assange and Daniel Brühl as his colleague Daniel Domscheit-Berg (and is based on Domscheit-Berg's book Inside WikiLeaks: My Time with Julian Assange and the World's Most Dangerous Website
). It also stars Carice Van Houten
, David Thewlis
, Stanley Tucci
, Laura Linney
, Anthony Mackie
, Alicia Vikander
, Dan Stevens
and Peter Capaldi
The film was released on October 18 in the States. The trailer can be seen here
Tropes Associated With This Work Include:
- Intrepid Reporter: Nick Davies. Truth in Television.
- Leaning on the Fourth Wall: What's that, Julian? They're making a WikiLeaks movie? When's it coming — oh.
- Shown Their Work:
- The scene of Assange dancing in an Iceland club actually happened, with the same moves. In the real life video, a man can be seen in the spot at the bar where Berg sits in the film.
- As the real-life Alan Rusbridger pointed out in his review of the film, the leather jacket David Thewlis's Nick Davies always wears is spot-on.
- Sidelong Glance Biopic
- Title Drop: After Nick Davies tells Daniel about how the modern fourth estate was born, he dubs Wikileaks as part of the fifth estate.
- Viewer-Friendly Interface: Everyone involved in Wikileaks seem to use some sort of UI consisting of multiple columns of Matrix Raining Code.