Get a load of that huge... scaffold
. Totally the scaffold.
"Watching a man's entrails spilling out is excellent entertainment, but the sight of his cock, well, that would be obscene.
We all know that the Moral Guardians
of America loathe and fear the female nipple
, or yet more fearsome, vulva. But there is one thing that is even more vile, disgusting and taboo in their eyes: the penis. In fact, it's not just prudish Moral Guardians who get upset when one does make an appearance on the movie screen. Most writers (and directors, and producers, and their 'preferred' market of viewers) are male
. And (nominally)
straight. And are somehow convinced that seeing a penis other than their own will turn them gay
So, when one does pop up
, whether it be Fanservice
, Fan Disservice
, or just there, expect it to be the only thing anyone talks about
Can be a very hypocritical form of Selective Squick
, since little do writers/directors/male viewers consider that female viewers might indeed enjoy the view, as a Straight woman is normally supposed to...
In Europe, they don't make a real big deal about nudity in general, so there are a lot more examples from their films.
See Also: Right Through His Pants
, for when men even have sex and do other impossible things with their pants on, so as not to even hint that men ever get naked. Note that erect
penises are virtually never depicted in any media other than porn.
open/close all folders
Anime and Manga
Note that the Japanese don't take
those adolescent boys examples seriously, seeing it as innocent
, "boys will be boys" behavior. Sexualized depictions
, however... Still, this trope makes their mandated censorship of genitals of any age in hentai
look quite silly.
- Goku and Gohan's penises were censored out of Dragon Ball for American TV broadcasts.
- The Uncut Dragon Ball DVDs get PG-13 certificates and they show simply-drawn penises on young boys from time to time. Goku's inability to understand the concepts of modesty or manners was a Running Gag in the first series for a while.
- The boys in Doraemon have this happen to them lots of times. Lots.
- The same with Zatch from Zatch Bell!. He loves to run around naked all over the place, and swims in the nude.
- The Littl' Bits censored some full frontal body shots in the two-part episode "The Sea".
- The original manga of Cutey Honey featured Danbei's penis. Apparently Miniature Senior Citizens count the same as children by Japan's standards.
- For post-pubescent penises in a non-pornographic series, look no farther than Hajime No Ippo. There's tons of it in the manga, mainly from Takamura. (The anime adds Pixellation.)
- The manga also pixellates early on, but later they don't bother.
- Baby Beel in Beelzebub. He's the only character in anime who can get away with full-time unpixellated male frontal nudity in a 7AM Sunday morning kiddie timeslot!
- The Berserk manga does this quite often. Most notable is Guts during he and Casca's more intimate moments. And the fangirls went catatonic.
- Berserk is interesting in that it has quite a lot of female and male nudity. And it doesn't bother censoring either - even when said exposed penises are erect.
- Kurono Kei in Gantz has some moments of it, including in erect state, and some other characters too.
- All the time in Gintama. Sometimes parts of the male anatomy even fly about, but everything is usually pixelated.
- A strange occurence can be seen in classic Bastard!!, where Dark Schneider has absolutely no qualms about getting naked, sometimes using his "equipment" as a lasso to constrain girls he wants to...um...well, you know. It's sometimes referred to as "The Hand of the Devil".
- In the 2nd episode of High School DXD, there's a single shot frame of Issei, while trying to cover up Rias, has his nether region shown uncensored.
- Tons of this in Jungle King Tar-chan, always Played for Laughs (and/or Fan Disservice). The title character has quite a few up-Loin Cloth shots, especially during Face Faults. All of them were Bowdlerized out of the anime version, where his Loin Cloth became a Magic Skirt.
- Notably, there are also plenty of Raging Stiffie jokes (some of which did make it into the anime), but the penis in question is always covered at the time. Apparently exposed penises and erect penises are both funny, but an exposed, erect penis is obscene.
- Inumarudashi is all about a kindergartener who refuses to wear pants and underwear◊.
- In Richard Corben's Den comics, originally presented in the comic Heavy Metal, the title character is thrown into the fantasy world of Neverwhere where he and other humans from Earth become physical ideals and buck naked and most of the stories never hide it. However, that world is a place where nudity taboos don't exist since Den and his girlfriend, Cath, find that they are completely comfortable naked and meet others who are clothed to varying degrees and no one considers their nudity as anything remarkable.
- Only applies to the first two volumes, though — later ones have more clothes and occasionally make use of Censor Shadow and Scenery Censor.
- Lampshaded and parodied in the animated Heavy Metal movie, where he puts on a Loin Cloth, saying that he doesn't want to walk around with his "dork hanging out".
- Dr. Manhattan in Watchmen. There was a lot of controversy about this. That there is a giant flopping blue wang is all many non-fans know about the film adaptation, in fact.
- In the comic book, however, it was intentionally drawn with very low amounts of detail and wasn't particularly big, as to avoid Best Known for the Fanservice.
- The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen doesn't shy away from male nudity, especially in volume 3.
- Supreme Power was the first Marvel comic to feature both male and female full-frontal nudity (though the former appeared in only one panel).
- Unless you wanted to count comics from Marvel's old Epic line. Elektra Lives Again provides rather... unique views of some established Marvel characters.
- Yorick in Y: The Last Man.
- Another Brian K. Vaughan comic, Saga, does the same thing.
- The Sin City comics are loaded with fanservice so much so that even the guys get in on it. Every major male character gets at least one full frontal nude scene... except for Marv.
- Also the 300 comic. Spartans love their cloaks, but love to feel the wind on their franks and beans more.
- German comic artist Brösel is really fond of drawing penises. Many of the longer story arcs in 'Werner'' include people losing their clothes somewhere along the way. This is almost never sexy.
- In Fables the first issue that introduces the male and female dryads have a full frontal scene for both of them. It's about as titillating as the Dr. Manhattan scenes from Watchmen.
- Groo the Wanderer engages in this from time to time, usually from infant or prepubescent boys running around without pants in impoverished areas. Given Sergio's cartoonish art style, these are totally lacking any detail and are easily overlooked.
- In the first issue of Sex Criminals, Jon is seen completely naked in profile. It's not frontal, but his entire penis is clearly visible.
- In Wolfskin by Warren Ellis, we see the barbarian main character's fully naked body for 2 panels.
- In American Gigolo, Richard Gere’s full frontal scene wasn't in the script, but Gere felt that it was appropriate given the circumstances.
- Michael Fassbender in Shame, where he plays a sex addict.
- Brüno had a rotating, talking penis.
- Used in The Dictator.
- Robin Williams in The Fisher King.
- In World's Greatest Dad. This one was really blown... I mean stretched... I mean exaggerated out of proportion by the press. The "full frontal" part only lasted for a few seconds.
- According to Wikipedia, Kinsey was the first film permitted to show uncensored genitalia in Japan.
- Color of Night had Bruce Willis on full display.
- Walk Hard does this for laughs.
- Forgetting Sarah Marshall has Jason Segel doing two full-frontal scenes for laughs.
- Boogie Nights with a fake penis.
- The Last Circus has full-frontal nudity with the overweight protagonist in less than hygienic conditions.
- Arnold Schwarzenegger in the first Terminator film, at least in one of the DVD releases.
- Jonah Falcon, the man with the world's biggest penis), in several documentaries.
- Ewan McGregor is definitely not shy about getting it out on camera.
- Happens in Monty Python's Life of Brian, when Brian (Graham Chapman) opens his window shutter to find an entire crowd of followers camped outside his house.
- Jaye Davidson in The Reveal of The Crying Game. Come on, you should know this by now.
- Briefly provided by Kendall in Pieces when gets up from a bed after having noisy sex with a woman.
- Cillian Murphy in 28 Days Later, which is not the best way to come out of a coma amid a zombie infestation.
- Holy Motors features a rarity for a non-pornographic films: an erection. It is very strange.
- Gilles Marini's breakthrough role was as a naked neighbor of Samantha's in the first Sex and the City movie.
- Sam Rockwell in Lawn Dogs.
- Battlestar Galactica: The Plan features a now-infamous "cock-shot" where the camera purposefully zooms in on a penis. According to an interview with Katee Sackhoff, Edward James Olmos (director of the movie) insisted that the camera "zoom in on the cock" and even directed actors to not cover it up for the shot.
- Come Undone, a LGBT film, shows Europeans' more relaxed attitudes to male and female nudity, as well as quite a bit more.
- Kevin Bacon had a quick frontal shot in Wild Things.
- Y Tu Mamá También: both protagonist had quick nude scenes.
- Huey Lewis, believe it or not, in Short Cuts.
- Scandinavians tend to view nudity as something natural, and thus the children's movie Ronja the Robber's Daughter includes a scene where eleven completely nude men are forced outside in the snow to clean themselves during winter. And that's actual snow the actors are running around in.
- Viggo Mortensen in Eastern Promises during a brutal knife fight scene in a bathhouse.
- Salo or the 120 Days of Sodom contains a lake's worth of this, along with female frontal nudity. Neither is arousing, given the circumstances.
- Fight Club. Tyler Durden's hobby of inserting random penis into other movies seems to be making fun of this trope. Also, the very-visible shot of an actual penis at the end.
- American Gigolo established Richard Gere as a sex symbol by having him walk around completely naked in one scene.
- Tom Cruise in All the Right Moves, as mentioned in Scream (1996).
- In Rare Exports: A Christmas Tale Santa's elves look like feral old men who run naked save for their beards in midwinter. And once again, it was all shot in real snow with real naked people.
- In The Secret in Their Eyes, Gomez shows his penis to Hastings to demonstrate his masculinity.
- Simon Scuddamore in Slaughter High.
- The end of Sleepaway Camp.
- Harvey Keitel shows his hairy manmeat in The Piano.
- Briefly in Bad Lieutenant.
- Tom Hardy for about half of Bronson. And then he did it again for the short film Sergeant Slaughter, My Big Brother.
- Background characters of both genders are seen fully nude in Prospero's Books, Peter Greenaway's adaptation of The Tempest.
- Ever wondered if Daniel Craig was a natural blonde? The answer can be found in Love is the Devil. He is.
- In Beyond Re-Animator, there's an extended fight sequence between a rat and a zombie penis.
- A man's testicles are shown being graphically crushed in the unrated version of Carver.
- Pretty much every film Peter Greenaway has ever directed.
- In Hostel 2 due to complaints from female viewers of too much female nudity in the first movie, Eli Roth made sure the first frontal nude shot is with a man. Also the scene with the dog near the end of the movie will make of tons of male viewers clutch their privates in fear.
- Geoffrey Rush in Quills.
- Joe Lo Truglio in Wanderust. (It's fake.)
- Christopher Eccleston has never been shy about onscreen nudity (working as an artist's model during your 20s will have that effect), but it took him until Lennon Naked to do a movie in which the director wasn't taking measures that his dick wouldn't be visible during these scenes. (It's not a sexual scene, though. He and Naoko Mori are replicating the album cover mentioned below.)
- Seen several times in Shame.
- Will Smith in Wild Wild West, briefly.
- Alan Rickman in Dark Harbour.
- Zack and Miri Make a Porno shows a free-swinging Jason Mewes.
- Happens at the climax of This Is the End, courtesy of a 500 foot tall CGI Satanic hellbeast, whose penis is about the length of a tree.
- Mark Ruffalo in In The Cut.
- Jonah Hill in The Wolf of Wall Street. Brief but visible.
- Stellan Skarsgĺrd in Breaking The Waves.
- Apparent toddler Superman as he emerges from his spacecraft wreckage, in the 1978 Superman.
- The protagonist, Michael (young German actor David Kross) in The Reader.
- Nicholas (James McAvoy) in The Last King of Scotland.
- Archie Brown (Gerald Butler, then 26 years old) in the 1997 film Mrs. Brown.
- Bo (Anders Agensř) and Kim (Peter Bjerg) in the controversial 1978 Danish film Du Er Ikke Alene (You Are Not Alone).
- Matthew (Michael Pitt) and Theo (Louis Garrel) in The Dreamers.
- Practically every male character in Derek's Jarman 1976 film Sebastiane. Also counts as Cast Full of Pretty Boys and Mr. Fanservice (aimed at a gay audience).
- A lot of male characters in Pier Paolo Pasolini's "Trilogy of Life" (The Decameron, The Canterbury Tales and Arabian Nights) and in Salo, or the 120 Days of Sodom (although it's Fan Disservice in the last film).
- Duane runs through the streets of New York naked at night in Basket Case.
- Stranger By The Lake takes place at a gay nudist beach. Only Henri is not seen naked in the film, and this is commented on by the other characters.
- The father in Brand Upon the Brain! is seen naked at some point.
- Director Gaspar Noe likes this trope:
- In Irreversible, the rapist is quickly flashing his best part right after raping Alex. It's all CGI though.
- In Enter the Void, the night club owner exposes his penis quickly when dropping is pans to have sex with Linda backstage.
- Ben Affleck and Neil Patrick Harris in Gone Girl both as Freeze-Frame Bonus. The latter is a Fan Disservice one because his character is covered in blood after having his throat slashed open.
- Nymphomaniac shows numerous penises in all stages and sizes.
- Oz is the grand master of this trope among mainstream shows.
- Channel Five's notorious one-off game show Naked Jungle was just that... a jungle adventure game where all the contestants and the presenter were nude, with no censorship.
- HBO documentary "Private Dicks", you can guess what is about includes the above mentioned Jonah Falcon.
- Queer as Folk often has male nudity and occasional frontal nudity, rarely from any main character.
- Rome gives us Mark Antony (in clear view), Brutus (seen from the side) and Pullo (though it's rather dark). Plus the poor slave who was sent as a gift to Servilia because "a large penis is always welcome" (though apparently he was enhanced digitally in post production).
- Let's not forget the Squick when Vorenus drops the huge, mummified phallus from his moneybag - apparently a war memento taken from a fallen enemy.
- Dante's Cove features full-frontal male nudity at least Once an Episode.
- HBO's John Adams Episode 1 of this miniseries features the main character's cousin Samuel tarring and feathering a Tory. While the soldier was naked. Boiling tar. Ouch! Flashes of the man's front bits can be seen.
- The Wire gives us Ziggy Sobotka's penis at least twice in season 2, once as part of an Establishing Character Moment. Season four gives us an extremely brief look at Omar nude.
- Not to mention the "blowjob incident" with Mayor Royce at the beginning of season four.
- True Blood, in a grand HBO tradition, also features some during Marianne's orgies in Season 2. Considering it was some old guest star dude, it was a clear Fan Disservice.
- Although when Detective Andy Bellefleur breaks up another orgy, quick-eyed viewers will note a couple naked extra that are quite a bit easier on the eyes.
- In the season 6 finale, Eric enjoys a spot of nude sunbathing after drinking Warlow's blood, which has made him immune to sunlight. Unfortunately, the blood's effects wear off and the fanservice turns to Fan Disservice as he starts to burn up.
- In the pilot of The Leftovers, Chris Zylka has a full frontal scene as Tom Garvey.
- Lucky Louie, an HBO comedy, eschewed female nudity (erotic, therefore not funny) but often featured male nudity as show creator Louie C.K. considered the nude male form funny-looking. Louie himself bolts out of bed naked just after sex in the second episode. Other occurrences are always Played for Laughs.
- Boardwalk Empire has Vincent Piazza as Lucky Luciano doing full-frontal after getting it on with Gillian Darmody, who he thinks is Jimmy's wife, not his mother.
- In the Skins-esque drama Glue, we get brief shots of Cal, Rob and James (all three of them main characters).
- HBO strikes again in Game of Thrones.
- Theon Greyjoy, during a sex scene with Ros in season 1.
- Olyvar, a spy and prostitute in the employ of Littlefinger, who poses as a squire and seduces Loras Tyrell in season 3 and has a threeway with Prince Oberyn Martell and his paramour Ellaria in season 4.
- As punishment for attempting to sell poisoned wine to Daenerys, the Dothraki force a merchant to march with them naked and tied to a horse, where he would ultimately die of exhaustion or be dragged to death.
- Even Hodor (!), while bathing in hot springs. Osha notes her approval.
- Spartacus: Blood and Sand, mostly for fanservice. However, one does get cut off, and it was the biggest one shown.
- The Borgias: Cardinal della Rovere (Colm Feore) doesn't have time to grab a towel while escaping an assassin in a public bath.
- In one episode of Deadwood, you can see Ron's... Swanson.
- The Inbetweeners series 3 episode 1 we see one of Joe Thomas' testicles for a large part of the episode. Played for laughs of course.
- In ''Misfits:
- The third series' second episode has an unexpected shot of Curtis' penis. It's as much of a surprise to the person undressing him, who had seen Curtis when he was transformed into a woman and tried to Date Rape him just as he changed back. He got an eyeful and a fist to the face.
- The sixth episode of the third series gives Simon (and the viewers) a vision of Rudy's penis having just fallen off from a curse. The severed penis is clearly visible throughout.
- The fourth series has a few courtesy of Finn, whose penis was stolen by somebody's superpowers and is trying to find it again.
- Sex and the City is a woman-centered, woman-oriented show with men being the Periphery Demographic. Therefore, male nudity, even the full-frontal one, is quite common since the Fanservice is indeed female-oriented.
- The Dutch comic "Fokke & Sukke" (Yes, I know what it sounds like) has two naked birds as the main characters. With their penises showing all the time, and sometimes they are even part of the joke. Did I mention this comic shows up daily in newspapers? Of course for most bird species this counts as Artistic License – Biology.
- What, you're surprised an industry could last two hundred years and not have an example or two? In WWE alone there was Spanky streaking on Smackdown, followed by an interview on WWE Confidential where Josh Matthews asked if he "felt a breeze". Spanky responded "No, I have small genitals."
- The all male Da Vinci Body Series workout videos have each of the participants including the instructor performing in the nude.
- Alan Strang in Equus is one of the few roles in theatre (male or female) to require on-stage nudity.
- When Daniel Radcliffe starred in Equus, there were a million billion jokes about Harry Potter showing his "wand".
- Prior Walter, the main protagonist of Angels In America strips down completely on-stage during an examination scene. The scene is maintained in the HBO miniseries. Joe Pitt also strips in a different scene, though the miniseries only showed a rear view.
- Ian McKellen's recent run as King Lear had him going nude as a part of Lear's madness. Eyewitness accounts range from "well-endowed" to "old and floppy"
- Hair notoriously strips the majority of the cast, male and female, briefly at the end of Act I.
- A 2009 Berlin performance of Mr Puntila And His Hired Man Matti (by Bertolt Brecht) had Matti undress completely halfway through the play.
- Oh Calcutta was the second show on Broadway to feature male full frontal nudity (in 1971. It opened in the West End in 1970). However, for some reason (most likely because there was a lot more nudity than in Hair) it's far more notorious.
- "Take Me Out," in which members of a baseball team react to a teammate's coming out as gay, takes place in the locker room showers. The set includes actual working showers and an all-male, all-naked cast.
- The National Theatre's 2011 production of Frankenstein had Benedict Cumberbatch or Jonny Lee Miller (depending on the night) spending about 20 minutes completely nude as the Creature, as he came to life and learned how to move, walk etc.
- Grand Theft Auto IV: The Lost and Damned provides this courtesy of Congressman Stubbs.
- Several times in Amnesia: The Dark Descent, a Swedish game. It's mostly on dissected corpses and a corpse-like creature.
- The werewolf in Rondo of Blood (and every other game that uses the same sprites) turns into a naked, anatomically correct human when it dies (it's a small sprite, but there's definitely something there). Eventually censored in The Dracula X Chronicles (with black briefs, both in 2D and 3D) and Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (with magically-appearing boxer shorts).
- Castlevania: Symphony of the Night has naked statues of both men and women. The most notable male statues are the stone guardians on either side of each of the "warp doors" which transport you somewhere else in the castle.
- Why forget Castlevania: Lords of Shadow, the bigger werewolves are pretty obvious.
- The characters in Rampage (Two Guys and a Girl) have always turned into naked humans when they die, but only in Rampage: World Tour did you get a completely unobstructed shot of their naked bodies. This being a higher bittage than the Castlevania example above, the penis is clearly defined.
- Lucifer in Dantes Inferno has a very large, very bouncy, furry penis.
- You can also make out Dante's penis during the ending.
- In Asura's Wrath, you can catch a glimpse of Asura's crotch for a split second. It's hard to make out anything specific, but he clearly doesn't have Barbie Doll Anatomy (NSFW image here◊).
- The Longest Journey features a naked male Guardian of the Balance in the introduction cutscene (who is clothed by the time you meet him in-game). When you meet the new Guardian in Dreamfall: The Longest Journey, he is also stark naked.
- In Outlast, two of the reoccurring enemies are a pair of deformed, insane cannibals. They are clearly naked, which makes being attacked by them even more unsettling.
- In the Whistleblower prequel at one point you get strapped down to a saw table by an insane asylum member intent on making you his... wife. You're treated to a view of your own penis in the most horrifying of circumstances.
- God of War: Chains of Olympus: The Cyclops monster was originally supposed to have a penis, but was redesigned. You can actually see the old design in a showcase room unlocked after you beat the game.
- In Dreamweb, when you enter David Crane's bedroom you find in the middle of sex. His penis is clearly visible before he covers it with a pillow (and after you shoot him, the pillow falls off again).
- At one point In Far Cry 4, the protagonist Ajay is captured and forced to fight in the deadly Shanath Arena. Because the game is in first person, it is only when the player sees Ajay's exposed body and genitalia that they realise not only do they have to fight several waves of fully clothed, well armed enemies, they must do so nearly unarmed and completely naked. Of course, this makes Ajay's eventual victory all the more badass.
- Sonichu: One of the most grotesque episodes of the series, referred to by trolls as the "Giant Penis Comic", depicts the Author Avatar posing nude in preparation for sex with his girlfriend of the moment. It's not erotic due to the sloppy art, but it's notable in that his penis is depicted as at least the size of his leg, and was possibly traced. The author still insists that it's a childrens' comic.
- One of the sketches for Niels shows most of the cast dancing in their underwear. Turns out Peter doesn't wear any.
- During the story arc in Questionable Content where Marten, Marigold, and Hannelore travel to the space station where Hanners grew up, when the space plane's AI fully manifests, he does so without pants. This is the first time that genitals have been depicted in the comic, which up to that point has had a lot of sexual content but no bared breasts or genitals.
- Luke in FreakAngels
- Most of the guys in Passing Time get naked at one point or another.
- The very NSFW Oglaf due to being pornographic humor has full male, full female and everything in between.
- Kazas Mate Gwenna - Kaza has no problem with going around nude in the Jungle. He and his wife prefer it that way. And eventually the artist starts showing both of them full frontal occasionally.
- Incubus Tales frequently features male nudity of all kinds, sexual and non-sexual. The author has stated that part of his approach to male nudity, and nudity in general, is due to the conflation between nudity, sensuality, and sexuality and the double-standard that exists between violence and nudity, especially male nudity.
- The Only Half Saga as should be expected from a violent vampire webcomic, features an array of nudity and sexuality, including very occasional male full frontal.
- Bart Simpson in The Simpsons Movie. The film got only a PG-13 rating for numerous reasons. One, the penis did not have much detail, the latter of which lessens most films' impacts of certain scenes. Two, it was done in a non-sexual manner. Three, it was shown onscreen for all of two seconds before it was covered by another shrub.
- In some cuts of the movie the particular scene has a big tag reading "EUROPEAN VERSION ONLY" over Bart's crotch. Not a bad compromise.
- There's an episode that features the actual David statue coming to Springfield. And it's uncensored.
- In South Park, Cartman's naked penis was far more important than the fact that they threw a shuriken into Butters' eye.
- And in a meta-example, later airings would actually blur the penis out, while scenes of Butters are left intact.
- All over the place in the third season of The Venture Bros., where most of it counted as Fan Disservice. Case in point: young Rusty Venture getting an eyeful of his dad's penis hanging out the front of his trousers in a flashback, which traumatized the boy for life.
- The first season of The Boondocks contains lots of male nudity, but only the DVD version has Full Frontal male nudity uncensored.
- There is a brief moment of this In the animated movie Dead Space Downfall, inspired by the Dead Space videogames.
- The creator of Brazilian comic Monica's Gang said in an interview that while exporting the animated adaptations, he had problems in some Muslim countries with one of the characters, hillbilly Chuck Billy (Chico Bento), who swims naked. The interviewer replied that the outcry was too much for such a small penis. Besides, Chuck Bully is a kid. Only a creepy pedophile would be "offended" by a little boy's penis.
- In an episode of Bob And Margaret, Bob has a nightmare where he is naked and falling. We get the 'upskirt' view (sans skirt).
- The "Hot Chick" episode of Western AnimationSuperjail! features a sequence where the Warden has stripped off all of his clothing, to the horror of Jared and confusion of Alice. While the TV airing obscured his crotch area with a censor bar, the uncensored DVD version shows that they actually drew in and animated his genitalia.