Film / Basket Case
is a 1982 horror film by Frank Henenlotter. It was followed by two sequels, Basket Case 2
in 1990 and Basket Case 3: The Progeny
, in 1991.
Young Duane is a nice young man from the country who has arrived to New York, carrying with him a big basket. It actually contains his deformed separated Siamese twin brother, Belial, and they both want to get revenge on doctors who forcibly separated them as children, trying to kill Belial.
The first movie has examples of:
- Always Identical Twins: Averted to hell.
- Asshole Victim: The back alley doctors who separated the two, plus one of Duane's neighbors who tries to rob his hotel room, and a guy in a movie theater who tries to steal Belial's basket.
- Ax-Crazy: Belial, who is angry enough with his separation from his brother to go around killing the doctors responsible for the surgery.
- Big Eater: Belial sure can polish off a lot of burger patties.
- Conjoined Twins: Duane and Belial, until they were separated.
- Cruel and Unusual Death: Dr. Kutter is mauled, then stabbed in the face with a bunch of scalpels and left to bleed to death.
- Disproportionate Retribution: While his brutal murder of the doctors responsible for his separation from Duane might qualify, Belial's rape and murder of Sharon as revenge for Duane getting ... a little too close to her definitely is this.
- The Family That Slays Together: Sort of. Belial does most of the slaying; Duane just brings him to his intended victims.
- Fanservice: Sharon gets a extended topless scene in the first film, which becomes Fan Disservice when Belial rapes and kills her.
- Male Frontal Nudity: Duane dreams to be roaming the streets of New York totally naked.
- Meaningful Name: Belial is the name of a demon.
- Names to Run Away from Really Fast:
- When you're called Belial — the name of a demon— it is obvious you're not going to be much of a party man.
- There's also — to a lesser extent — doctors Needleman and Kutter.
- Rape as Drama: Belial rapes and kills Sharon.
- Rape Is a Special Kind of Evil: Belial's raping of Sharon makes Duane tell he's had enough of him.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: Belial's eyes glow red when he is having evil thoughts.
- Twin Telepathy: When they were still joined, Duane and Belial were able to talk to each other with their minds. After their separation, only Belial is able to do this.
Basket Case 2 has examples of:
- Sliding Scale of Comedy and Horror: The first film is dark and gritty. This and and the next sequel is sillier and introduce some humor (although dark.)
- Stock Footage: Nearly all of the operation scene from part 1 is in this part. Also the ending of the last movie is the start of this one.
- Spotlight-Stealing Squad: Granny and the other freaks.
- Two-Part Trilogy: This and the next films are more similar in tone and share more cast with each other than they do with the first film.
- Villain Protagonist: Duane and Belial become this by this film.
The Progeny has examples of: