Creator: Andrew Garfield
With a dorky smile, a friendly disposition, and heaps of talent, it's not hard to see why Andrew Garfield is one of the most sought after young actors working today.Garfield was born in Los Angeles in 1983, to a British mother and an American father, and was raised Jewish. He has spent most of his life in the UK. If you're on TV Tropes at all, then you've probably seen him in a television show or two. With a BAFTA for his performance for Boy A, it was strange that Hollywood didn't pay that much attention to him in the earlier years of his career.That is, until he burst onto the scene with his performance as Eduardo Saverin in The Social Network and as Tommy in Never Let Me Go, both released in 2010. (Also in 2010, he starred in a delightful short film called I'm Here. Trailer here ) Showing some amazing skill and giving some wonderful and heart-wrenching performances in both of his films, Hollywood has taken notice.His Star-Making Role became playing Spider-Man in the short-lived The Amazing Spider-Man Series. While he didn't get to make a trilogy, it looks like he has a bright future ahead of him with a leading role in the historical drama Silence, a Martin Scorsese movie.
- The Other Boleyn Girl (2008)
- The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus (2009)
- Red Riding (2009)
- Never Let Me Go (2010)
- The Social Network (2010)
- The Amazing Spider-Man (2012)
- The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (2014)
- Silence (TBA)
- Fake American: Although American-born, he was raised his entire life in Surrey, predominantly speaks in a thick British accent and identifies himself as British.
- Going Commando: He mentioned that since the Spider-Man suit was so tight, he had to do this when filming The Amazing Spider-Man. No one's complaining except him (apparently, the costume was made with uncomfortable material).
- Manly Tears: One of his specialties: he pulls it off marvelously.
- Mr. Fanservice: Tumblr users everwhere have expressed intense appreciation for his butt. Not like anyone could blame them.
- Older Than They Look: He doesn't look his age.
- Old Shame: He doesn't seem particularly proud being in The Amazing Spider-Man 2. He told interviewers about What Could Have Been and actually blew off a dinner meant to announce the third movie. Sony was seriously considering firing him and replacing him with another actor a la Batman Forever, but the series was cancelled before anything could come to fruition (and Spider-Man was recast anyway for a Continuity Reboot set in the Marvel Cinematic Universe).
- Promoted Fanboy: To the point that he actually shed tears when he got to wear the Spider-Man suit for the first time.
- Romance on the Set: He dated Emma Stone, his co-star in The Amazing Spider-Man Series. They broke up after becoming separated by the geographical distance of Taiwan (where they filmed Silence) and he admitted to cheating on her there, to their mutual disappointment. They reconciled a few weeks afterward.