Creator: Michael Fassbender
"What I find really interesting is to try and mix it up, to push myself and try different things. I don't want to stay in my comfort zone.Michael Fassbender is Cultured Badass: the man. He is a German-Irish actor with a background in theatre who starred in the 2008 film Hunger about the 1981 Irish hunger strike. While the film had a fairly limited release, Fassbender's intense performance got a lot of praise.He had a handful of other notable roles over the next two years, but things really took off in 2011. That year he played more coveted (and well-received) roles than many actors have in their entire career including Magneto, Carl Jung, and Mr. Rochester. He is known for his broodingly intense persona and dark charisma. While having a quick career turn is not uncommon for actors, few have been in so many high-profile roles so successfully. His career seems to be continuing strongly with roles in big films like Ridley Scott's Prometheus. In 2013 he returned to work with Steve McQueen, the director of Hunger and Shame, and played slaveowner Edwin Epps in 12 Years a Slave, a role he has garnered massive acclaim for, including nominations for an Oscar, a Golden Globe and a SAG Award.
I want to take risks and keep myself scared."
I want to take risks and keep myself scared."
— Michael Fassbender
- Band of Brothers (2001)
- Hex (2004)
- Poirot (After the Funeral, 2006)
- 300 (2007)
- Hunger (2008)
- Inglourious Basterds (2009)
- Centurion (2010)
- X-Men: First Class (2011)
- Shame (2011)
- Jane Eyre (2011)
- A Dangerous Method (2011)
- Haywire (2012)
- Prometheus (2012)
- 12 Years a Slave (2013)
- The Counselor (2013)
- Frank (2014)
- X-Men: Days of Future Past (2014)
- Slow West (2015)
- Macbeth (2015)
- Steve Jobs (2015)
- X-Men: Apocalypse (2016)
- Assassin's Creed (TBA)
This actor provides examples of:
- Black Gal on White Guy Drama: Fassbender has dated a string of black and/or racially mixed girlfriends, and has stated in interviews that he prefers darker women. A small, but loud segment of his white female fanbase has reacted... poorly, to say the least.
- Dyeing for Your Art:
- For his role in Hunger, he dropped about thirty pounds and obsessively rehearsed the lengthy scenes. In general, Fassbender is known for his desire to fully embody his characters.
- For Prometheus, he bleached his hair blonde.
- Also greyed his hair as part of his portrayal of Steve Jobs in his last years.
- Even the Guys Want Him: At the MTV Awards 2012:Russell Brand: The last time I did an MTV awards show, I did end up marrying someone that was there. So tonight, I'm gonna keep my eyes peeled for my next wife...FASSBENDER!
- On the set of Jane Eyre his stallion would get an erection every time he got on it. In Cary Fukunaga's, the director's words: "Obviously Michael's sexual prowess extends to the animal kingdom as well."
- Fan Nickname: Fassy (Fassbender has acknowledged this and does not mind it that people call him that).
- Man of a Thousand Faces: Even if you are used to his face, the variety of characters Fassbender plays and his ability to change his appearance and idiosyncrasy (he is described as not playing them, but more like becoming them) make him sometimes downright unrecognizable, leading to shocking realizations when you read his name in the credits.
- Ooh, Me Accent's Slipping: In X-Men: First Class, his character is a German Jew (which is very important to the plot), but his accent is pretty uniformly still Irish. Interestingly, his performance was considered so good, that this aspect is often noted, but rarely criticized. Justified in that Ian McKellen (who played the older version of his character in previous movies) didn't exactly attempt a German accent either.
- Averted during his German speaking part in the film; Fassbender speaks German fluently, due to being half-German, and the contrast to Kevin Bacon's poorly accented German is very noticeable to German speakers.
- Production Posse: With Steve McQueen. Fassbender starred in all three films McQueen has directed (Hunger, Shame and 12 Years a Slave).
- Promoted Fanboy:
- When he was in secondary school, he put together a school play of Quentin Tarantino's Reservoir Dogs, a fact that came up when Fassbender was reading for a role in Tarantino's Inglourious Basterds.
- He's a self-proclaimed fan of the Assassin's Creed games. Its movie adaptation is going to be his first production as a movie producer.
- Raised Catholic
- Red-Headed Hero
- Romance on the Set:
- Dated actress Zoe Kravitz (Angel) while they were filming X-Men.
- And dated his Shame costar Nicole Beharie.
- Started a relationship with Alicia Vikander after they co-starred in The Light Between Oceans.
- Star-Making Role: Hunger and 300 brought him to worldwide attention, but it was X-Men that really solidified his star status.
- Verbal Tic: Has the tendency to say "sort of" and "you know" a lot in interviews. Watch an interview with him in it, and play a drinking game; you will be smashed by the end.
- Younger Than They Look: He appears a few years older than his actual age.