David Jude Heyworth Law (born 29 December 1972), known professionally as Jude Law, is an English actor, film producer and director.He began acting with the National Youth Music Theatre in 1987, and had his first television role in 1989. After starring in films directed by Andrew Niccol, Clint Eastwood and David Cronenberg, he was nominated for the Academy Award for Best Supporting Actor in 1999 for his performance in Anthony Minghella's The Talented Mr. Ripley. In 2000, he won a Best Supporting Actor BAFTA Award for his work in the film. In 2003, he was nominated for the Academy Award for Best Actor for his performance in another Minghella film, Cold Mountain. He is also known for his role as Dr. John Watson in the Sherlock Holmes film series.In 2006, he was ranked as one of the top ten most bankable film stars in Hollywood. In 2007, he received an Honorary CÚsar and was named a Chevalier of the Ordre des Arts et des Lettres by the French governmentNot to be confused with Jennifer Lawrence who somehow got the nickname J Law contrary to Jude's existance.
open/close all folders
He appeared in
TV & Film
- The Tailor of Gloucester
- The Case-Book of Sherlock Holmes
- Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil
- The Talented Mr. Ripley
- Enemy at the Gates
- A.I.: Artificial Intelligence
- Road to Perdition
- Cold Mountain
- I Heart Huckabees
- The Aviator
- Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow
- A Series of Unfortunate Events
- All the King's Men
- The Holiday
- The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus
- Sherlock Holmes
- Repo Men
- Anna Karenina
- Rise of the Guardians
- Side Effects
- Dom Hemingway
- The Grand Budapest Hotel
- Fake American: Many of his roles.
- Mr. Fanservice: Tends to be in many "Sexiest Man Alive" list, especially during the Turn of the Millennium.
- Production Posse: Most famously with Anthony Minaghella.
- Protagonist Title: Many of his leading roles are the eponymous hero of the story.
- Shakespearian Actors: He began acting with the National Youth Music Theatre and been in many plays, including Hamlet and Henry V, ever since.
- Star-Making Role: In The Talented Mr. Ripley.
- Those Two Actors: Frequently co-star with Gwyneth Paltrow and Kate Winslet.
- What Could Have Been:
- Dropped out of the movie From Hell.
- Was originally considered for the role of Shinzon of Remus in Star Trek: Nemesis.
- He was considered for the role of Will Turner in Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl.
- Bryan Singer originally wanted him to play Zod in Superman Returns.
- He was originally was cast as Ozymandias in Watchmen, and was attached to the role late enough in pre-production that his likeness is clearly recognizable in the character's costume sketch◊. His reasons for dropping out remain unknown, and he was replaced by the then-relatively unknown Matthew Goode instead, in keeping with the idea that the story should be a bigger star than the actors involved. For the matter, he had also expressed interest in playing Rorschach.