Dame Angela Brigid Lansbury is an English actress and singer whose career spans stage, screen and television.Born 16 October 1925 in London, she moved with her family to New York City in 1940. Her first film roles were in Gaslight and The Picture of Dorian Gray, both of which brought her nominations for Best Supporting Actress. At age 20, she was (and still is) the youngest actress with two nominations. She went on to extensive work in film, on television and on the stage, eventually earning five Tony Awards (and two nominations), six Golden Globes, another Best Supporting Actress nomination and 19 Emmy Award nominations. In 1994, she was appointed a Commander of the Order of the British Empire by Queen Elizabeth II. In 2013, she received an Honorary Oscar for lifetime achievement.Additional memorable film roles came in National Velvet, The Harvey Girls, Nanny McPhee, Bedknobs and Broomsticks, Beauty and the Beast, The Court Jester and The Manchurian Candidate. On Broadway, she won acclaim in Mame, Gypsy and Sweeney Todd. On television, she is best known as the star of Murder, She Wrote. She's the only individual to have an original song written for her from three of Disney's most famous songwriters: (The Age of Not Believing from Bedknobs and Broomsticks) by The Sherman Brothers and (Beauty and the Beast from Beauty and the Beast) by Alan Menken .
Her career provides examples of:
- Blonde Republican Sex Kitten: Possibly the Trope Maker in State of the Union (1948)
- Evil Matriarch: In The Manchurian Candidate.
- Grande Dame: In Nanny McPhee.
- Happily Married: To Peter Shaw for 54 years.
- Hollywood Old: Frequently cast as characters older than her actual age.
- The Ingenue: In The Picture of Dorian Gray.
- Kindly Housekeeper: In Beauty and the Beast.
- Little Old Lady Investigates: Her role on Murder, She Wrote and in The Mirror Crack'd as well as a 1999 Made-for-TV Movie based on the Mrs. Pollifax books.
- Playing Gertrude: She is rather well-known for this.
- Really Gets Around: Anyone who is familiar with Lansbury from Murder She Wrote or her later stage and film work may be startled to watch Gaslight and see a 17-year-old Lansbury as a saucy, slutty housemaid.
- The Vamp: In Gaslight.