Literature / The Tailor of Gloucester
The Tailor of Gloucester
is an early story by Beatrix Potter
about an impoverished tailor (who lives in Gloucester
) who is hired to make a suit for the Mayor's wedding. He runs into trouble when he falls too ill to work and his cat hides the right kind of thread to finish the suit's button-holes, but fortunately he receives some unexpected help from the mice living in the wainscoting of his shop.
This book provides examples of:
- Arc Words: No more twist!
- Butt-Monkey: Simpkin
- Civilized Animal: Simpkin is a mixed example; he can only speak in meows, but he also wears clothes, walks on two legs, and runs errands for the tailor.
- Costume Porn: The descriptions of the tailor's creations are gorgeous. Of course this being a Beatrix Potter story, even the mice get in on the Costume Porn action.
- Nice Mice: They help the tailor when he's bedridden with illness and on a time crunch.
- No Name Given: The tailor.