Every autumn, all the squirrels sail across the lake to Owl Island in order to collect the plentiful nuts that grow there, and they always remember to bring a tasty gift to appease Mr. Brown, the owl who lives there. Unfortunately, one of the squirrels is an obnoxious loud-mouth named Nutkin, who likes to dance around in Mr. Brown's face, jeering at him and spouting nonsensical riddles. As the nut-gathering days pass by, it seems only a matter of time before Mr. Brown loses his temper...
This book provides examples of:
- An Aesop: Do Not Taunt Cthulhu, especially if Cthulhu is considerately allowing you to gather food on his island.
- Bratty Half-Pint: Nutkin
- Carnivore Confusion: The squirrels bring the owl some dead mice and a dead mole as a gift.
- Lazy Bum: Nutkin
- Ominous Owl: Mr. Brown may be polite, but he's still pretty creepy even before he gets fed up with Nutkin.
- Pun: "This is a Tale about a tail."
- Riddle Me This: Though Nutkin doesn't expect an answer; he's just doing it to be annoying.
- Sleepyhead: Mr. Brown, since he's an owl and the squirrels visit during the daytime.