Creator: Jake Gyllenhaal
Jacob Benjamin "Jake" Gyllenhaal (born December 19, 1980) is an American actor. The son of director Stephen Gyllenhaal and screenwriter Naomi Foner, he began acting at the age of ten. Following his first lead role in October Sky, he starred in the indie Cult Classic Donnie Darko, in which he played a psychologically troubled teenager alongside his older sister, Maggie. In 2002, he starred in another indie film, The Good Girl, alongside actress Jennifer Aniston. In 2004, he appeared in the Science Fiction film The Day After Tomorrow, portraying a student caught in a cataclysmic global cooling event.He then played against type as a frustrated Marine in Jarhead in 2005. The same year, his role as Jack Twist in Brokeback Mountain earned him critical acclaim. For his performance he won the BAFTA Award for Best Supporting Actor and was nominated for the Academy Award in the same category. He has since played the lead roles in many notable films, including Zodiac, Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time, Love and Other Drugs, Source Code, and End Of Watch.
He appeared in
- City Slickers
- Homicide Life On The Street
- October Sky
- Bubble Boy
- Donnie Darko
- The Good Girl
- The Day After Tomorrow
- Brokeback Mountain
- Saturday Night Live
- Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time
- Love and Other Drugs
- Source Code
- Man vs. Wild
- End Of Watch
- Fan Community Nickname: His fans refer to themselves as "Gyllenhaalics".
- Mr. Fanservice: Tends to do Shirtless Scenes in his films.
- Real-Life Relative: He and sister Maggie played siblings in Donnie Darko. Subverted with Peter Sarsgaard in Jarhead because they weren't brothers-in-law (Pete is Maggie's eventual husband) at the time.
- What Could Have Been:
- Was set to play Spider-Man in Spider-Man 2 due to Tobey Maguire having injured his back while filming Seabiscuit. While Gyllenhaal was preparing for the role, Tobey recovered to reprise his role as Spider-Man.
- Auditioned for and was one of the top contenders for the role of Batman/Bruce Wayne in Batman Begins. Was also on the shortlist to play Harvey Dent in the sequel.
- Was, along with Matt Damon, the studio's first choice for the role of Jake Sully in Avatar, but director James Cameron chose to cast the (back then) more unknown Sam Worthington in the lead role instead.
- His parents forbade him to be in The Mighty Ducks, as the film would have taken him out of town for two months (it was shot in Minnesota).
- He was cast as one of the Princes in Into the Woods, but dropped out to do Nightcrawler instead