Creator: Jennifer Aniston
Her famous Nineties
haircut from Friends
that launched a million imitators...
Jennifer Joanna Aniston (born 1969) is a Greek-American actress famous for playing Rachel Green in Friends
. She has been romantically linked with several actors, most famously Brad Pitt
, who she married. Currently engaged to former co-star Justin Theroux, she has starred in several Romantic Comedies
since the end of Friends
Roles of note:
He gets knocked out.
- Chick Flicks: Her bread & butter throughout the 00s.
- Dyeing for Your Art: Had to fight to dye her hair to a real dark brunette for Horrible Bosses as producers feared she wouldn't be instantly recognizable in the promotional spots.
- Here Comes the Science: Provides the page quote.
- Hollywood Hype Machine: The book Desperate Networks (about how TV worked during the mid '90s through the 2000s) goes into some detail about how she was a "network darling", and the studio was actively looking to give her a break-out role. The Hype Machine got behind her big-time, showcasing her constantly in all forms of media. She is actually given far more mainstream press than her non-A-list movie career would warrant, except for the fact that she's wildly famous regardless of her films' success, and she sells magazines very well.
- Ms. Fanservice: A rare example of an actress becoming this later in her career. While she spent her first decade after Friends starring in female-oriented romantic comedies, she began taking saucier roles in films like Horrible Bosses and We're the Millers after she turned 40.
- Though, let's be fair, she was plenty Fanservicey in Friends and Leprechaun.
- The most famous scene in The Break-Up was her walking around naked while Gary (Vince Vaughn) while playing a boxing video game.
- Not to mention the fact that her nipples seem to be able to poke out of any sort of clothing, on screen or off.
- Playing Against Type: Her roles in The Good Girl, Horrible Bosses and We're the Millers are intended to break her out of starring in seemingly nothing but romantic comedies.
- Plucky Girl: Her Rachel Green character.
- Product Placement: The famous "Rachel-do" hairstyle from Friends.
- Romance on the Set: With Vince Vaughn in The Break Up. Guess how both turn out.
- In one of those "Once You've Seen It, You're Unable To Not Notice It" situationsnote , she has a habit of dating (or simply being rumored to be dating) a male in whatever movie she's making at the time.
- Stage Names: Kinda. Her father (John Aniston of Days of Our Lives)'s last name at birth was Anastassakis, but changed it to Aniston later in life to make it easier for viewers to pronounce.
- The Trickster: Not played for humor, but when she was still married to Brad Pitt (and still on Friends making her one of the largest tabloid targets,) she did devise a pretty clever trick to convince paparazzi to leave her alone that other celebrities have started to imitate. Any time she was seen out, she would always wear a very distinct pair of orange cargo shorts. This made all the photos paparazzi took of her look exactly the same, and therefore worthless.
- Typecasting: She will always be known, for better or for worse, for starring in countless middling Romantic Comedies throughout the 00s.