A 2010 comedy film written by Allen Loeb, directed by Will Speck and Josh Gordon, and starring Jennifer Aniston, Jason Bateman, and Jeff Goldblum.Kassie Larson and Wally Mars have been best friends for years. Kassie, after years of bad experiences in dating, has decided to become a single mother through artificial insemination, much to Wally's protests. Nevertheless, she invites him to the insemination party wherein he gets drunk, accidentally spills the collection vial, and decides to replace the sample with one of his own. He blacks out and wakes up with no memory of this. Kassie leaves town, seven years pass, Kassie returns with her son Sebastian, and Hilarity Ensues.Not to be confused with the comedy Switch (1991).
This film provides examples of:
- Chekhov's Trait:
- Early in the course of the movie, Wally is shown to moan when eating good food. Later, Sebastian is shown to do the same.
- One surprisingly missed by the participants of the movie. Kassie and her sperm-donor have blue eyes and blonde hair. Sebastian has brown eyes and brown hair.
- Book Ends: Wally's voiceover and discussion regarding the "human race".
- Disposable FiancÚ: Averted. Roland seems like a genuinely nice guy who just has the bad luck to come up against a Hollywood Romance.
- Dogged Nice Guy: To some degree, Wally from the beginning of the movie on.
- Dueling Movies: Filmed and released at the same time as The Back-up Plan, also about artificial insemination and the complications of relationships with the sperm donor.
- The Picture Came With The Frame: Sebastian asks for picture frames as gifts, and uses the stock pictures to create his father's family.
- Trailers Always Lie: At least some trailers for the film tried to push the idea that Jennifer Aniston was the lead character; she's certainly important but it's pretty obvious Jason Bateman is the real protagonist.
- Visual Pun: The sperm donor is made to wear a Horny Viking helmet during the insemination party.