Along Came Polly
is a 2004 film starring Ben Stiller
, Debra Messing, Philip Seymour Hoffman
, and Jennifer Aniston
. The film follows Reuben (Stiller), a man fresh out of a marriage to an unfaithful bride, saddled with the mortgage on the house he bought for her to start their family. Attempting to rebuild his former life, Reuben joins his best friend at an art gallery where he meets his former classmate Polly (Aniston). Polly and Reuben soon start dating, and the film follows their mismatched romance
This film provides examples of:
- Actor Allusion: Polly finds a "list" in Reuben's computer comparing her and his ex-fiance. Much like what occurred between Ross and Rachel in an episode of Friends.
- Bad Date: Thanks to the Potty Emergency mentioned below.
- Betty and Veronica: When Lisa comes back into the picture, she becomes the Betty to Polly's Veronica.
- Commitment Issues: Lisa had issues with marriage hence bolting.
- Former Child Star: Sandy starred in Crocodile Tears a long time ago and he refuses to let go of his former fame, being in absolute denial about his current Future Loser status.
- Incompatible Orientation: Reuben calls out Polly's dance friend from the salsa club, thinking he's hitting on her. Turns out he's gay.
- Ironic Echo Cut: Polly offers Reuben a snack. He says "I actually like this". Cut to him throwing up in the toilet.
- It's All About Me: Sandy when it comes to a community theatre production.
- Latin Lover: Reuben gets jealous when Polly dances with a studly Cuban guy - it's okay though, he's gay.
- The Makeover: A subtle example. Reuben typically wears his shirts with only one button undone. To show he's relaxing more around Polly, he unbuttons a second button before his salsa dance with her.
- Manic Pixie Dream Girl: Polly, although a slightly sedate version.
- Opposites Attract:
- Potty Emergency: Reuben has IBS. Polly takes him to an Moroccan restaurant. Hilarity Ensues.
- Translation By Volume: When Reuben and Polly first meet Reuben's parents at an Indian restaurant, she asks the Asian waiter in a rather condescending fashion: "Hi, need big table please - four people - many thanks" with the waiter responding in a bewildered fashion (and American accent) "okay".
- The Unfair Sex: Completely averted. Lisa's infidelity is treated as reprehensible by both the movie and the characters in it while Claude is - according to Wordof God - supposed to be a likable Nice Guy despite meeting Reuben a newlywed man on honeymoon with his wife who he adores then having sex with her and getting her to leave her husband the same day
- Wedding Day
- Your Cheating Heart: Reuben's wife cheats on him during their honeymoon.