Video Game: Mickey's Speedway USA
Mickey's Speedway USA is a racing game released for the Nintendo 64 and Game Boy Color in 2000 and 2001, respectively. It was developed and published by Rare. The Game Boy Color version of the game is a sequel to Mickey's Racing Adventure.Disney's answer to Mario Kart, the game features Mickey Mouse and his friends racing together across the United States to...save Pluto?
This video game provides examples of:
- Absurdly Spacious Sewer: Chicago.
- Always Night: Las Vegas, Seattle, and Chicago.
- Cheated Angle: Mickey and Minnie's ears.
- Color-Coded Characters:
- Mickey - Red
- Donald - Yellow
- Goofy - Green
- Minnie - Pink
- Daisy - Light Blue
- Pete - Orange
- Dewey - Blue
- Louie - Green
- Huey - Red
- Ludwig - Purple
- Competitive Multiplayer: Up to 4 players.
- Eagleland: Type 1. In the American version, the "USA" in the title is in a heavily stylized font full of stars and stripes. In the Japanese version, the "USA" is simply in a red font. For a game that takes place in (a fictional) United States, these tropes aren't surprising:
- Excuse Plot: Mickey's dog, Pluto, has been kidnapped by the Weasels because of his diamond collar. It's actually fake. Mickey calls his friends, and Pete, to help him track down Pluto...by racing in various parts of the United States.
- Go-Karting with Bowser: A literal example: Pete joins Mickey and friends to save Pluto.
- Nintendo Hard: The aptly named "Frantic Finale" cup which features two of the toughest tracks, Hawaii and Colorado. These tracks require you to do quick 90-degree turns to avoid falling off the course. Crazy Commentaries took these on and one of the members described the final stage, Colorado, as Battletoads in a racing game.
- Off Model: Pete's fur is black during gameplay, but in the cutscenes and character icons, his fur is brown.
- Palm Tree Panic: Malibu and Hawaii.
- Secret Character: Huey, Dewey, Louie, and Ludwig Von Drake.
- Slippy-Slidey Ice World: Alaska and Colorado.
- Shout-Out: Each of the tournaments (except for Frantic Finale) are named (in whole or part) after a Disney cartoon:
- Time Trial
- Two Girls to a Team: Minnie Mouse and Daisy Duck. It's still better than only one female character in Mario Kart 64 (Peach) and Diddy Kong Racing (Pipsy)
- X Meets Y: Disney meets Mario Kart.