Creator: John Malkovich
John Gavin Malkovich (born December 9, 1953) is an Academy Award-nominated actor. He is known for playing creepy psychopaths extremely well, and has appeared in films such as The Killing Fields, Empire of the Sun, Con Air, In the Line of Fire, and Being John Malkovich. Malkovich is a master of the Creepy Monotone, and can either be quietly understated or be a Large Ham of astronomical proportions. However, as with many great actors, he has appeared in some less-than-luminous films, including Eragon and Jonah Hex. He also appears in a cameo in Adaptation., As Himself during the filming of Being John Malkovich.He is now playing infamous pirate Blackbeard in NBC's Crossbones, his first major role on the small screen.He is also the owner of a fairly popular restaurant in Lisbon, Portugal.
- The Killing Fields (1984) — Al Rockoff
- Empire of the Sun (1987) — Basie
- Of Mice and Men (1992) — Lennie Small
- Alive (1993) — Old Carlitos
- In the Line of Fire (1993) — Mitch Leary
- Con Air (1997) — Cyrus "The Virus" Grissom
- The Man in the Iron Mask (1998) — Athos
- Rounders (1998) — Teddy KGB
- Being John Malkovich (1999) — John Horatio Malkovich
- Adaptation. (2002) — Himself note
- Shadow of the Vampire (2000) — F.W. Murnau
- Ripley's Game (2002) — Tom ripley
- Johnny English (2003) — Pascal Sauvage
- The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (2005) — Humma Kavula
- Eragon (2006) — Galbatorix
- Beowulf (2007) — Unferth
- Changeling (2008) — Rev. Gustav Briegleb
- Burn After Reading (2008) — Osborne Cox
- Jonah Hex (2010) — Quentin Turnbull
- Red (2010) — Marvin Boggs
- Transformers: Dark of the Moon (2011) — Bruce Brazos
- Red 2 (2013) — Marvin Boggs
Tropes associated with this actor's work:
- Awesome, Dear Boy: Why he opts to make some questionable fantasy\sci-fi movies such as Eragon and Transformers: Dark of the Moon.
- Bald of Awesome \ Bald of Evil: Since at least In the Line of Fire."For a long time I played brooding, "James Dean" types. I was kind of relieved when my hair fell out and I didn't have to do that any more."
- The Danza: As the titular character in Being John Malkovich, he appears as John Horatio Malkovich, a fictionalized version of himself.
- Fake Nationality: Played many Brits and Frenchmen in his career.
- Ham and Cheese: Often remarked as the best part of his less prestigious work.
- Large Ham
- Type Casting: Weirdos, villains, or weird villains (exceptions include Empire of the Sun, The Man in the Iron Mask and Being John Malkovich-where the movie itself is the source of weirdness).