An erotic comedy making fun of the historical and sexual stereotypes. The film is also known as 'Decameron Pie' - and, indeed, it could be summarized as: Decameron (yes, the one with the plague in Florence) meets American Pie (yes, the one with Stifler), and the link between both works is the obsession on virginity. Even though in general the plot does not make much sense, it contains numerous references to Boccaccio's work - especially to the first story told during the third day. The style of humour is close to that from Monty Python and the Holy Grail (though a little bit subtler), including sudden appearances of supernatural entities which look like painted on the sky's surface.
Contains the examples of:
- Anachronism Stew: omnipresent. (This underlines the mix of conventions in the film.)
- Arranged Marriage: between Pampinea and the Count.
- Bad Habits: the narrator, whose carrier path begins at thieving and than painting religious frescoes, only for him to become a self-proclaimed priest.
- Bathe Her and Bring Her to Me: a rare male example with Lorenzo and the abbess.
- Bigger Is Better in Bed: invoked by Melissa and Filomena in the trick which they conceived in order to escape from the bandits' camp.
- Girl-on-Girl Is Hot: used by Melissa and Filomena to distract their captors.
- Green-Eyed Monster: Pampinea's jealousy triggered the events which forced Lorenzo to abandon the convent.
- Loves My Alter Ego: Lorenzo and Pampinea (alias the Perfectly Kissing Nun).
- Not Quite Dead: Lorenzo, after his having been stricken on the neck with Gerbino's sword.
- Skip to the End: Gerbino, during his wedding.
- Supernatural Aid: strongly subverted - when the characters hear voices or have visions, it is usually their own self-preservaton instinct, and even though some events are interpreted as miracles by the characters, none of them really is one.
- Virginity Makes You Stupid: a possible explanation of Filomena's strong reactions to Dioneo's problems.
- Virgin Tension: mainly with Pampinea, but also Filomena and Dioneo.