White She-Devil: Once you've had Undercover Brother, there is no other.A very prevalent notion in modern society is the idea that black men are better endowed than other races. The stereotype is a very old one, likely centuries. While... kind of... an example of Positive Discrimination, it has had some negative consequences, and derives from quite a checkered past. Since the colonial era, there has been the idea of a well-endowed, sturdily built, and rather libidinous black man. Until the late 20th century, it was commonly accepted that black men made no effort to control their sex drives, and, in some time periods and regions, a lot of nasty stuff was done to black males on the paper-thin excuse that they had posed a sexual threat to someone, often white women. (Needless to say, very little was ever offered — or required — in proof of any of these allegations). The stereotype of black men as oversexed is, at root, dehumanizing. These are not rational creatures like white men, it claims; these are mere animals whose sexual functions operate mechanically and instinctively like a bull in rut. Picking up on an idea found in classical Greek culture, it saddled the stereotypical black man with a comically over-sized phallus, just to show everyone what's really running the show. As for black women, they too were defined in terms of their sexual urges — early psychologists (who'd invented the term "drapetomania" in order to frame black slaves' desires to be free as a form of mental illness) would occasionally "justify" white overseers and plantation owners' rape of slave women with the claim that black women were "hot" and therefore needed their masters' sexual control. White women were also warned that too much unsupervised contact with a black man (up to and especially including sexual intercourse) would leave them Defiled Forever; and heaven help the mother of a Chocolate Baby... In other words, this trope has some extremely dubious origins, and continues to carry all manner of Unfortunate Implications with it. You Have Been Warned. In case you really want to know, a not-particularly-scientific survey found that "[t]he average for the African continent as a whole is a whopping 6.3 inches." This is slightly bigger than average, but not by much. Obviously a subtrope of Bigger Is Better in Bed. Also compare Where Da White Women At? and Race Fetish.
Conspiracy Brother: Naw. It's "once you go black, you don't go back."
Conspiracy Brother: Naw. It's "once you go black, you don't go back."
open/close all folders
- This banned commercial from New Zealand brings up a caulk product in a black container referred to as African Style, and it's bigger than the New Zealand one. This would be suspect on it's own, but then the pitchman, whose accent makes "caulk" sound like "cock", then refers to it as "the big black caulk".
- In Les Innommables, a black guy is refused entry into an Asian brothel because the girls are afraid he's far too large for them.
- Jaakko Teppo tells a self-admittedly dirty joke about a racist guy in Tampere who has just met two black guys on Tammerkoski bridge and is telling his friend all about it:
"And they go on to piss off the bridge, and this one n***r says, Aw shit, man, is the water cold today, and the other one says, And the bottom's muddy too, dammit!"
- Russell Peters has a bit where he talks about God addressing all the races. First he tells the Indian people that they will be great with computers, be able to thrive in some of the harshest conditions imaginable, and then leave those conditions to become successful anywhere in the world. They don't care about any of that and only want to know how big their penises will be. God apologetically tells them "average". Then he takes the black people aside and tells them that they are going to be mistreated and discriminated against for centuries, so he's giving them a little extra penis size to make up for it (he took it from the Indians).
- In the early days of his stand-up career, Jeff Foxworthy told much dirtier jokes than he later became known for. One of them played on guys using "nature's coat hook" to hang a small towel and then asking their wives if they know where said towel went. Except for black men, who would instead ask about the bedspread.
- This is all but a requirement for black male porn actors. Interracial themed films starring tall, muscular, well-endowed black men having sex with petite white women (though casting Asian, Latina and Arabic women is not unheard of either) especially emphasize this trope. It's a pretty popular subgenre, though one that many note can produce films just brimming with Unfortunate Implications (which in itself is a huge problem in the industry too).
- A common, common, common trope in Blaxploitation films from the 1970s. Many movies, such as Sweet Sweetback's Baadasssss Song, star a hero known for his... measurements.
- Sometimes this trope refers not so much to any specific part of the anatomy as to sexual prowess in general. In Enter the Dragon for instance, the black bruiser Williams is among the martial arts contestants offered some feminine "company" for the evening from Han's Paid Harem. He picks out four of them, and then apologizes to the rest of the girls that, um, he's "a little tired" this evening.
- In the film Black Dynamite, a modern Affectionate Parody of the genre, the protagonist manages to have sex with three women simultaneously, and please all of them equally. And to take the gag Up to Eleven, it is revealed that three or four more women were asleep next to the bed at the time, already having been pleasured. The villain's dastardly plot is also to take this away from black gentlemen through drugged booze.
- Blazing Saddles.
- Lili is seducing the new, black, sheriff. We hear this in the dark:
Lili Von Shtupp: Tell me, schatze, is it twue what they say about the way you people are... gifted?[sound of zipper opening]Lili Von Shtupp: Oh, it's twue. It's twue. It's twue, it's twue!
- In the original script, this was followed by Sheriff Bart saying, "I hate to disappoint you miss, but you're sucking on my elbow."
- In another scene:
Charlie: They said you was hung.*Bart: And they was right.*
- Lili is seducing the new, black, sheriff. We hear this in the dark:
- At one point in the Vietnam epic Full Metal Jacket, a hooker initially refuses to sleep with an African-American man because of his so-called "Alabama blacksnake". Subverted, as the soldier in question whips out the snake in question to prove that "it ain't too God-damn beaucoup!"
- Referenced in Gutterballs, when a character is looking over the brands offered by a condom machine.
How about Black Knight? 'For the Big One?' That's for big black cock, that's gonna fall off me for sure.
- In Liberty Heights, a teenager tells his friend that somebody saw the new black kid in the shower and he was huge. However, it's unknown if that is true or just gossip.
- The Full Monty:
Gaz (upon seeing Guy's "assets" at the tryouts): Gentlemen, the lunchbox has landed.
- Horse is rather concerned when he learns of the plan to strip completely, because he thinks everyone will expect him to be well-endowed where he's merely ordinary. Guy, a white guy, is the one who proves to be particularly well-endowed instead.
- Also subverts it, in that Dave asks his wife whether, were anything to happen to him, she might take up with a black feller. She answers that she "might do, yeah." He immediately goes into a funk, because everyone knows they have "great bodies and that." However, he actually is talking about their entire physiques in general and not merely their equipment, because he's very insecure about his own appearance.
- Harold & Kumar Go to White Castle: Harold gets locked up in jail with a philosophical black man, who is resigned to his fate.
Harold: I don't understand how you can be so calm about all this.Tarik: Look at me. I'm fat, black, can't dance, and I have two gay fathers. People have been messin' with me my whole life. I learned a long time ago that there's no sense gettin' all riled up every time a bunch of idiots give you a hard time. In the end, the universe tends to unfold as it should. Plus, I have a really large penis. That keeps me happy.
- Justified Trope in Cat Run. It's thanks to a Swedish penis pump.
- In the film Airheads, three slackers have taken a radio station hostage in order to get their song played. When talking to one of the DJ's to get him to play the song, the (black) man snaps, "Would you step back, please? You're standing on my dick."
- This one joke forms the basis of an entire sketch in Movie 43.
- This is one of the racist slurs Ben Chapman throws at Jackie Robinson in 42.
- Near the end of Requiem for a Dream, Marion seeks out drugs to satisfy her addiction and encounters a black pimp, who makes out with her and forces her to perform fellatio on him. Marion's hesitation prompts this comment:
I know it's pretty, baby, but I didn't take it out for air.
- Nymphomaniac: Teased with but in the end averted. Joe goes so far as finding an interpreter so she can have sex with an African immigrant who doesn't speak a word of English. However, she doesn't do this because of the man's supposed penis size but because she finds the thought of not being able to communicate with her sex partner enticing.
- The Last Seduction: Bridget invokes this to her husband's (black) private investigator to distract him while she's driving the car they're in. He blows her off at first but is eventually tempted to show her, taking off his seatbelt to do so.This results in his death when she intentionally crashes the car.
- How To Make Love To A Negro Without Getting Tired is the actual title of a French language (though surprisingly not French, but Canadian) film from 1989. The poster for the film featured a black man lying in bed under a sheet, with the sheet covering what appears to be an upright telephone pole. Unsurprisingly, several American newspapers refused to carry it.
- The Kentucky Fried Movie has BIG JIM SLADE! He puts other black guys to shame.
- In Absolutely Anything Neil wishes for "a penis women desire". His response is "Good. Can I have it in white?".
- A man goes in to get a penis transplant. The doctor opens up a drawer of four-inch penises, and the man asks if there is anything bigger. The doctor opens up a drawer of six-inch penises, and again the man asks if there is anything bigger. The doctor opens up a drawer of eight-inch penises, and the man shyly asks if there is anything bigger. The doctor responds "Not in white, sir."
- What's 12 inches long and white? Nothing!
- A man is dating a woman named Wendy, and as a "romantic" gesture, he gets her name tattooed on his penis, but when he's flaccid, only the first W and final Y are visible. One day, while he and his girlfriend are on holiday in Jamaica, he is standing at a urinal, when a black Jamaican man walks up next to him. The man glances down and sees a W and a Y tattooed on the black man's penis. So the man says to him, "Your girlfriend's name must be Wendy, too. I see we have the same tattoo." The response comes, "No, I'm a tour guide. Mine says, 'Welcome to Jamaica. Have a nice day.'"
- In some variants, the man tattoos his own name (Wally). In others where his name is Henry, Harry or Harvey, the inscription on the black penis is, "Hello, welcome to..." etc.
- Deconstructed in the novel The 13th Warrior, in which every culture apparently has this myth about one ethnic group or another. The Nordic women encountered by the Arabic narrator assume he'll be massively endowed; being well-traveled, he remarks that he's heard identical rumors in most countries, usually about a population that lives far away from whoever is spreading the rumor.
- Played for seriously black humour in Tom Sharpe's farces of South Africa in The Apartheid Era. Riotous Assembly begins with the horror evinced by Kommondant van Heerden of the Piemburg Police Force, when he realises the pillar of respectable white society, Lady Hazelstone, murdered her black cook when he refused to continue having sex with her. It becomes not only a murder case but confronts the unspeakable horror of a white woman actually wanting to have sex with a Zulu. He is further horrified when Lady Hazelstone casually confesses to both crimes - and adds that she used various drugs to enhance both the size and duration of her lover's erection. note
- Indecent Exposure sees the Nazi-refugee Dr von Blimenstein enthusiastically assists with the therapy. In her day job as psychiatrist, she deals with the sexually repressed neuroses and paranoia of white South African women, that one day the blacks will rise and rape every white woman they can, and, well, the blecks are so big, aren't they? Her white female patients express an unhealthy obsession with the sheer size of black African penises and she uses this as the core of her shock therapy. She clinically calls this "blackcock fever". She also dealt with a case where a zookeeper with an inferiority complex chose to measure his erection against the length of a poisonous Black Mamba. This did not end well.
- The Ninja by Eric Van Lustbader. The protagonist ponders this trope while being masturbated in a movie theatre by his nymphomaniac girlfriend Yukio, all while she's staring constantly at the crotch of a black American soldier.
Live Action TV
- Becomes a minor plot point in Sirens (UK) where Ash is coming onto the black cop Ryan. Ryan is quite upset about this stereotype. He says that yeah, while some black guys play up this angle it's still insulting, and turns Ash down.
- Of all places, The Golden Girls addresses this in an episode where Dorothy's youngest son gets engaged to an older black woman. Dorothy and co. meet up with her future in-laws and Sophia meekly asks "Is it...true what they say about black men in bed?" Before Dorothy can admonish her for it...
Blanche: Oh yes; very true!
- Dorothy then admonishes her mother for believing a stereotype, to which one of the in-laws replies, "Call it what you want, honey. I'm just glad it's true."
- A plot point in the Curb Your Enthusiasm episode "The Surrogate", where Richard Lewis dates a black woman, and worries that he won't be able to satisfy her because of this trope. His friend, Larry asks a biracial woman about this, who tells him that there's no difference.
- This Candid Camera Prank from Just for Laughs Gags.
- A Different World. While arguing with several white students from a rival college, Ron taunts them about Hillman's superiority in football and other sports, "but I'll leave out that physical endowment thing, since I know how sensitive y'all are."
- Australian comedy series Full Frontal did a parody of a Levi's add in which a man has to hand over his jeans to bribe a Jamaican dockworker to let him stow away on a ship. In the parody the Jamacian isn't impressed with what he sees when the white guy takes off his pants, so unzips his own in response. Cue loud thump as the implied Biggus Dickus hits the ground.
- On Israeli comedy miniseries Lost in Africa there's a minor character saying he goes to Africa frequently, and mentions that considering what "those darkies are packing" one would assume the local women are, um, built to accommodate them, but they're actually normal, if not tighter.
- Israeli satire show Eretz Nehederet once parodied the blatant racism expressed by MK Miri Regev, who compared Sudanese refugees to cancer, in a skit predicting that she would eventually come to support them after forcefully converting them to Judaism and moving them to settle in the West Bank. When asked how she plans to convert so many of them, she answered, "With a machete."
- Key & Peele:
White Woman 1: Way bigger penises, am I right?(Key and Peele brofirst)White Woman 2: I guess that's because of Africa?(Key and Peele look miffed)
- The sketch "Sex with Black Guys" has the duo at a bar overhearing two white women talking about how black men must be better in bed, among other stereotypes. The two guys alternate between flattered by their assumptions and very appalled.
- The trope comes up again in "Biracial Penis". Peele's character is biracial, and while he looks black he claims all the white has gone to his penis. Because of this he worries he's going to disappoint his girlfriend Amy, but Keegan assures him she won't mind because she's white and won't know the difference. As it turns out, Amy is biracial too and has a black vagina.
- On All in the Family, Archie asks his black neighbor George Jefferson if this is true and if a white man can increase his size. George has some fun with him by saying yes, but it comes with these terrible urges to shine shoes and carry other people's luggage.
- A ton of rap lyrics are about the singer's penis, and most male rappers are black.
- This is even referenced in an old jazz song, All That Meat and No Potatoes sung by Ella Fitzgerald and Louis Armstrong.
- Invoked and subverted in the first version of FATAL: There's a magical armor that turns you into a stereotypical black guy. Its very disgusting and racist effects include that "If the wearer is male, then those around him are 80% likely to believe that his manhood has increased, though it has not."
- Referenced in Cards Against Humanity with cards like "a big, black dick" and "a bigger, blacker dick". There's even "the biggest, blackest dick" hidden in the box cover of "The Bigger, Blacker Box" pack, "A dick so big and black that it is a problematic stereotype" hidden under the middle row of the redesigned BBB, and "the even biggest, blackerest dick" in the 69-inch-long "Please do not buy this product." box.
- This is mentioned in the Dirty Potter audio spoof series.
- Gaijin Chronicles is the blog of a black man who teaches English in a Japanese middle school. The first post recounts his dealings with his students, whose only knowledge of America comes from television, specifically their enthusiastic assumption that he has a "bigu dikku" and desire to confirm the same.
- A Brazilian satirical Tumblr seeing perverted content on local comic Monica's Gang makes these jokes on the Token Black, Jeremiah. And of course the creator of the tumblr and the readers laughed a lot at this...
- Averted by Encyclopedia Dramatica, which refers to this trope as "The Great Black Dick Hoax" with all of their trademark poor taste.
- Niels has a thing for black people, of both genders. At least once his boyfriend Duncan has claimed to have the bigger dick.
- Youtube comedienne Grace Helbig is known to occasionally riff on this, suggesting she believes it is true and has...certain 𝘱𝘳𝘦𝘧𝘦𝘳𝘦𝘯𝘤𝘦𝘴 because of it.
- In the [adult swim] show Mary Shelley's Frankenhole, Thomas Jefferson surgically replaces his plantation with that of a black man. Why? So he can woo the female slaves on his plantation.
- The Dating Guy sort of invokes this. One episode has the gang going into the rainforest and coming across a black tribe in South America. Samantha, the girl, is to be wed to the man who has the largest penis; it's so large, it unrolls like a fire hose and the end cannot be seen. However, it never mentions whether Woody, the black guy, has a large penis or not. (He does get the most action out of the guys, though.)
- Subverted twice in American Dad!:
- In "Finances With Wolves", Klaus's mind has been placed in the body of a black man, and he is shown browsing condoms. He passes up the small, medium, and large sizes and grabs a garbage bag instead... which he fills with boxes of medium-sized condoms.
- In "Virtual In-Stanity", Dick's Digital Avatar is a huge black man, and at the end of the episode he is shown buying the smallest brand of condom available, while worrying that they may be too large.
- Subverted again on The Simpsons. Marge has become wealthy and successful after opening up a women's gym, and Homer has heard from some other men there that these successful women will ditch him in favor of younger, more attractive men. Marge is talking with two other women at a business convention, and one of them suggests getting "a big black one." Homer fears the worst, but then it's revealed that they were talking about purses.
- Family Guy:
Quagmire: Wow, those are all the monuments I read about in school! There's the Washington Monument *camera pans to the eponymous monument* And there's the Obama Monument. *camera pans to a larger, black version of the monument positioned right next to the Washington Monument*.
- Played with when Peter, Joe and Quagmire are in Washington D.C and are sightseeing for a while. Quagmire later says this:
Peter: Well, you dating Jerome, that's just a lot to take in...Lois: Hah, you're telling me!Peter: OH, COME ON, THOSE COMMENTS AREN'T HELPING!!
- Another time, after an abstinence-only group comes through and gets all of Meg's classmates to take a virginity pledge, they circumvent the rule by having ear-sex (don't think too hard about it). While the evening news anchors are reporting this, they claim that the old-catchphrase has been changed to, "Once you go black, you go deaf."
- Also invoked with recurring minor character Jerome, an ex-boyfriend of Lois. In his debut episode, she makes several Freudian Slips relating to his genitalia size, and in another, while playing softball, he says he has to "adjust himself", then rubs around his ankle.
- The Animated Adaptation of Black Dynamite is even worse than the film. In the pilot, BD has a censor bar hanging down to his knees. A black pornstar appearing in a later episode has a 22 inch monster that can kick up wind when he spins it around.
- Referring again to the "prowess" version: In Minoriteam, the bad guys trick black superhero Fasto into a room full of Asian hookers, sure that he'll be distracted for hours. But seconds later, he's pleasured them all into unconsciousness and is ready to resume fighting the bad guys. (He has super-speed, after all.)
- Both played straight and subverted in Brickleberry. Black Best Friend Denzel has a noticably large penis, but NOT the biggest one on the show, or even the main cast. The biggest belonged to the rapist convict Meat Hammer, and the biggest on the cast is ex-porn star turned park ranger Woody Johnson.