Sacha Noam Baron Cohen (born 13 October 1971) is an English comedian, actor and gadfly extraordinaire best known for his fictional personas (including the gangsta-wannabe Ali G, racist and backward foreign journalist Borat Sagdiyev, gay Austrian fashonista Brüno, Gaddafi-like Arab dictator Admiral General Shabazz Aladeen) generally used to provoke reactions from people who don't know they're fictional so as to expose their own bigotry and for really dark Black Comedy.
Works featuring Sacha Baron Cohen's characters include:
- Da Ali G Show - Ali G/Borat/Bruno
- Ali G Indahouse - Ali G/Borat
- Borat - Borat
- Brüno - Bruno
- The Dictator - Admiral General Aladeen
- Grimsby - Nobby Butcher
Other works in which Sacha Baron Cohen has appeared include:
- Madagascar series, as King Julien
- Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street, as Signor Adolfo Pirelli (real name Davy Collins)
- Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby, as Jean Girard.
- Hugo as the Station Inspector
- Les Misérables (2012) as Thernadier
- The Simpsons as Jakob
- Alice Through the Looking Glass as Time
Tropes related to Baron Cohen and his films:
- Man of a Thousand Voices: One of his trademarks. This guy can do any accent, which is helpful in playing a variety of characters all of different ethnicities.
- Refuge in Audacity
- Troll: Famously. Virtually all his characters are outrageous caricatures meant to make fun of real people by either pushing their buttons or playing into their own biases, usually both at the same time.
- Unsympathetic Comedy Protagonist: Most of his characters are this by default, in order to make the trolling work. Often they are an outright Villain Protagonist.