Sacha Noam Baron Cohen (born 13 October 1971) is an English comedian, actor and gadfly extraordinaire best known for his fictional personas (including the gangsta-wannabe Ali G, racist and backward foreign journalist Borat Sagdiyev, gay Austrian fashonista Brüno, Gaddafi-like Arab dictator Admiral General Shabazz Aladeen) generally used to provoke reactions from people who don't know they're fictional so as to expose their own bigotry and for really dark Black Comedy.
Works featuring Sacha Baron Cohen's characters include:
- Da Ali G Show - Ali G/Borat/Bruno
- Ali G Indahouse - Ali G/Borat
- Borat - Borat
- Brüno - Bruno
- The Dictator - Admiral General Aladeen
- Grimsby - Nobby Butcher
Other works in which Sacha Baron Cohen has appeared include:
- Madagascar series, as King Julien
- Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street, as Signor Adolfo Pirelli (real name Davy Collins)
- Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby, as Jean Girard.
- Hugo as the Station Inspector
- Les Misérables (2012) as Thernadier
- The Simpsons as Jakob
- Alice Through the Looking Glass as Time
Tropes related to Baron Cohen and his films:
- Man of a Thousand Voices: One of his trademarks. This guy can do any accent, which is helpful in playing a variety of characters all of different ethnicities.
- Mean Character, Nice Actor: He is not afraid of writing incredibly offensive humor and play Unsympathetic Comedy Protagonist 's but he apparently is a much nicer guy in real life.
- N-Word Privileges: The only way that he could ever get away with a character like Borat, singing a song called "Throw the Jew down the Well..."
- Reclusive Artist: A necessity if you want to mess with total strangers and not have them recognize you.
- Star-Making Role: Borat. However prior to that he was known for Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby to American audiences after breaking out on tv to U.K. audiences with Da Ali G Show. His role as King Julien in Madagascar helped the movie get two sequels.
- Troll: Famously. Virtually all his characters are outrageous caricatures meant to make fun of real people by either pushing their buttons or playing into their own biases, usually both at the same time.
- Unsympathetic Comedy Protagonist: Most of his characters are this by default, in order to make the trolling work. Often they are an outright Villain Protagonist.