This is when a dictator tries to make sure he is in power permanently by giving himself the title "President For Life", declaring himself a de facto
monarch who happens to have a republican title.
This does not include presidents who simply happened to expire before their predefined terms did. Nor does it include presidents who served multiple terms via show elections where there was no other candidate. This is about doing away with elections altogether
. Definitely a sign of a People's Republic of Tyranny
, and very often a President Evil
Whether they actually serve for the rest of their lives is quite another question—as is how long they live after attaining such a position.
This makes distinguishing between "republic" and "monarchy" (especially if the dictator is President For Life of a Hereditary Republic
) a Royal Mess
, and there have been cases of a President For Life crossing that line and declaring himself King or Emperor, becoming a Monarch in name as well (Jean-Claude Bokassa is the most recent example).
A subtrope of In It For Life
. Compare: The Generalissimo
and Just the First Citizen
, with which there is often overlap (especially the former). Contrast Permanent Elected Official
. A President for Life
should always remember that he or she Only Serves For Life
- In Licence to Kill, Big Bad Sanchez warns the president of the Banana Republic that he's "only President for life".
- Escape from L.A. has a hyper-religious President of the US, who gets elected solely because one of his rants happens to come true quite by accident. Somehow, he gains enough support from the legislature and the people to amend the Constitution to get him declared this trope. He then proceeds to move the capital to his hometown, launch a network of Kill Sats, and make anything he doesn't like illegal (such as red meat, smoking, drinking, premarital sex, etc.). Anybody who doesn't agree gets deported to Los Angeles (which is separate from mainland US) or gets sent to the electric chair.
- Calvin and Hobbes: Calvin calls himself Supreme Dictator and President for Life of G.R.O.S.S.
- Only until Hobbes declares himself King and Tyrant, at which point Calvin decides that's what he wants to be instead.
- Ric Flair became President of WCW, and later declared himself President For Life.
- Possible in the Tropico series, but the risk is civil unrest once the people decide that they really want free elections again.
- Quite popular amongst real-life dictators, and has its own article at That Other Wiki. Some even lived up to the term.
- Famously, Ugandan dictator Idi Amin proclaimed himself this in many of his narmtastic rants.
- François Duvalier of Haiti. Died in office.
- Saparmurat Niyazov of Turkmenistan. Died in office.
- Hastings Banda of Malawi. Stripped of title in 1993, defeated in an election in 1994.
- Kwame Nkrumah, thrown out of office in 1966
- Josip Broz Tito of Yugoslavia. Died in office in 1980.
- Sheikh Mujibur Rahman of Bangladesh. Assassinated 1975, after only seven months in power.
- Jean-Bédel Bokassa of the Central African Republic. Declared President For Life in 1972, then went all the way and was crowned Emperor of the Central African Empire in 1976. Deposed 1979.
- Subverted with Kim Il-sung of North Korea, who was declared Eternal President of the Republic after he'd died. However, he was NOT President For Life while he was alive; his term was regularly renewed via show elections.
- Ilham Aliyev of Azerbaijan, who took office in 2003 after the death of his father Haydar, suspiciously enough.
- Napoleon made himself First Consul for life on the way to becoming Emperor.
- The Ur Example is probably that of Julius Caesar, granted the title of dictator perpetuo or dictator in perpetuity, abandoning the usual time restrictions on Roman dictatorships historically observed. This of course being shortly before his infamous assassination, and possibly being subverted by the lack of implication Caesar would never resign the post.
- His great-nephew and heir Augustus was offered this title but refused it, being Genre Savvy enough to know how dangerous this was.