The fourth game in the Far Cry
series (yet another Spiritual Successor
to its predecessors), set in Kyrat, a fictional region in the Himalayas.
You play Ajay Ghale, a young man visiting Kyrat to scatter his mother's ashes. After a violent border crossing, Ajay meets Pagan Min, the flamboyant and insane self-proclaimed ruler of Kyrat. Violence ensues. So do selfies.
The game features a greater sense of verticality than its predecessors, with a grappling hook and miniature helicopters joining the wingsuit from the previous game as major methods of traversal.
Far Cry 4 also features drop-in drop-out co-op
, with players on Playstation systems being able to join a friend's game for co-op freeroam without owning a copy.
Ubisoft are aiming for a November 2014 release window, with versions for the PS3
, Xbox360, PS 4
, Xbox One and PC.
Far Cry 4 provides examples of the following tropes:
- Affably Evil: Pagan Min seems to be very friendly towards Ajay. This is right after murdering a soldier in front of him and just before kidnapping him. With blood still all over his face.
- Automatic Crossbows: One of these serves as Ajay's go-to stealth weapon, replacing the bow from 3. However, the developers have teased that the bow may make a return.
- Civil War: The player is said to become embroiled in a civil war between the people and Pagan Min's despotic regime.
- Co-Op Multiplayer: Hurk from Far Cry 3 returns as a secondary character.
- Everything's Better with Monkeys: A monkey is seen in the bus during the intro. Considering Hurk's behavior last time, this is to be expected.
- Go Karting with Bowser: A brief, modern variation of the trope occurs in the game's opening cinematic. After brutally murdering one of his own soldiers, Pagan Min stops to take a selfie with Ajay.
- High Speed Hijack: A new ability is to leap from your vehicle and onto another, taking out the driver and commandeering their ride for yourself.
- Luke, I Am Your Father: It is implied that this Pagan's motivation - he had a brief fling with Ajay's mother, and is stated to be terrified of Dying Alone with no heir. Whether he's aware of her other lover, the founder of the resistance, who most everyone believes to be Ajay's real father, is yet to be seen.
- More Dakka: Far Cry 3 featured a composite bow for silent ranged kills. Far Cry 4 has an automatic crossbow instead.
- Scenery Porn: The mountains of Kyrat are breathtaking.
- The Triads and the Tongs: Before heading to Kyrat, Pagan Min initially started in this world, running his father's heroin growing business and attempting to make a failed power grab for leadership of the Hong Kong underworld.
- War Elephants: Kyrat features wild elephants. They can be manipulated into trampling enemies, attacking enemy fortresses or even be ridden by Ajay.
- You Have Failed Me: Pagan Min stabs one of the soldiers involved in the border crossing massacre because he didn't ask for it to be shot up, just stopped.
"Don't worry about a thing, my boy. This will soon be behind us and we'll be off on our grand adventure. Because I have cleared my calendar for you! You and I... ARE GOING TO TEAR SHIT UP!"