Boosting a car from a parking lot isn't that hard, when you get right down to it. You open the door, start the ignition, and as long as no one takes note of you, you can just drive off in your shiny new stolen wheels. If you've somehow managed to nab the keys to said car, then it's even easier. And as we all know, Rule of Drama
dictates that easy things are boring.
You know what's cooler
? Stealing a vehicle while someone's driving it, preferably at breakneck speed.
Depending on what kind of vehicle you're taking over, there are many ways you could pull off that stunt. A favorite of action movie heroes is to jump from one moving car to another (or from a motorcycle to a car, or a train to a car), taking down the driver (preferably by throwing him from the vehicle), and grabbing the wheel. For bonus points, let vehicles without drivers drift off, crash, and explode
Don't let the limitations of your vehicle (or lack thereof) limit what you can steal. Jumping from one speedboat to another is child's play. Stealing a helicopter when you're on foot with nothing but a Grappling-Hook Pistol
is better. Ramping a boat into the air and jumping from your flying boat into a helicopter? Crazy Awesome
This trick has long been a staple of action movies of all types, and not just ones where gas-powered vehicles are common. Horse-jacking or carriage-jacking are fair game for action movie period pieces, and stealing a Phlebotinum-fueled Flying Car
is remarkably similar to stealing a rolling one.
Compare Outside Ride
and Hood Hopping
, which frequently precede a High Speed Hijack
. In space it may be accomplished by means of a Boarding Party
that may use Boarding Pods
. And please, don't try this at home.
open/close all folders
- This is covered under the Stunt rules for Feng Shui.
- While not explicitly given rules in the sourcebook, lots of promotional art and related fiction for Eberron describes hijacking airships, or the Lightning Rail. It's also one of the encounters in the published adventure, "Voyage of the Golden Dragon."
- Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas tried experimenting with the new engine to create some unusual hijacks. The first Mike Toreno mission involved speeding alongside a fuel truck so your sidekick, Caesar, can leap into the cab and yank out the driver. Ouch. A later mission involves flying beside a private jet and then bailing out of the plane, whereupon CJ grabs hold of the entry hatch and hijacks the jet in mid-air.
- Mercenaries 2 gives a how-to demonstration for beginners. Don't think you're limited to jumping onto the backs of trucks though — it's certainly possible to do the same to attack helicopters in the air.
- Action Hijacking is an oft-used mechanic in Sleeping Dogs. Wei Shen can jump from his vehicle (except scooters) to any other 4-wheeled vehicle that's on the driver's side and moving in the same general direction.
- The Assassin's Creed games, starting with Brotherhood, allow Horse-jacking, either when you're leaping from above or from a horse of your own. Cart-jacking is done too, in a few sequences.
- Just Cause runs wild with this, because Rico's Grappling-Hook Pistol lets him get onto pretty much any vehicle with ease and then steal it with equal ease. Stealing helicopters is a favorite trick for many players, partly because it's less dangerous than trying to fight them from the ground and partly for the many benefits of having a flying gunship.
- This is possible in the Halo series starting in the second game. Enemies can hijack your vehicles in single-player, and there's a medal for doing it to another player during a multiplayer game. Spartan-2s can also hijack enemy vehicles in Halo Wars.
- Boarding operations to capture enemy ships in the X-Universe series typically take place while the other ship is not only still maneuvering, but still shooting as well.
- This is a bonus-point granting activity in Saints Row The Third.
- In Castlevania: Lords of Shadow, while being chased on horseback by werewolves riding giant boars (It Makes Sense in Context) Gabriel can leap from his horse to the back of the boar and kill the werewolf, then kill the boar and hop right back onto his horse without missing a beat.