Desperate gridlocks when you're late for the office call for drastic measures.
meets Roof Hopping
. The pursued character is getting away along a highway in a car or on a bike and the pursuer, lacking equivalent transportation, hops across multiple car hoods to close in on them. Explosions may be involved.
See also Outside Ride
Anime and Manga
Films - Animated
- During a highway chase scene in Birdy the Mighty, Birdy and an arkazoid leap across moving vehicles in rush hour traffic.
- Homura has to do one of these in Episode 6 of Puella Magi Madoka Magica in order to retrieve Sayaka's Soul Gem from a speeding truck, which Madoka had thrown over the bridge in an attempt to stop the former's fight with Kyoko.
Films - Live Action
- In Oliver & Company, Dodger eludes Oliver by jumping over cars. Oliver follows, but falls through the sunroof of one car.
- In Doctor Who, the Doctor does this in "Gridlock". They were flying cars and the Doctor was not only leaping from hood to hood, but getting in the cars through the top and out through the bottom.
- A non-moving example: In an episode of Quantum Leap, Sam leaps into the body of Dr. Ruth Westheimer. During the climax, he is trying to stop a woman from being murdered, and the taxi he's in gets caught in a traffic jam. Having no time to spare, he exits the cab and runs to the woman's apartment by leaping from car to car; the reflection of Dr. Ruth is cast through the windows of various cars.
- On Brooklyn Nine-Nine, a suspect hops on top of cars in a traffic jam to escape Jake and Charles. Jake follows, but falls through an open sunroof and hurts himself.
- Wet has an entire level about this, aptly titled "Vehicular Carnage".
- The level "Route 666" in Bayonetta is like this.
- A stage in Super Smash Bros. Melee has the fighters fighting on top of F-Zero vehicles, jumping from one to another as they got too far ahead or behind.
- The RWBY volume 2 episode "Painting the Town" features a chase scene of Blake and Sun fleeing on foot from Roman Torchwick in a stolen Mini-Mecha. Part of the chase scene takes them onto one of the city of Vale's highways with Blake and Sun leaping between cars while Torchwick smashes through traffic in pursuit.