Film / Fair Game
Mario Andreacchio film from 1986note
, about a gang of kangaroo poachers who terrorise a woman in the Australian Outback. They get more than they bargained for when their victim Jessica (played by Cassandra Delaney) decides to fight back.
Not to be confused with the 1995 movie
starring William Baldwin and Cindy Crawford, or with the 2010 movie starring Naomi Watts and Sean Penn.
This film provides examples of:
- Action Girl: Conservationist Jessica starts out as the victim, but after she is raped she takes bloody revenge on the three poachers.
- The Alleged Car: Jessica's beat-up old Ford Falcon truck.
- All Bikers Are Hells Angels: Ringo rides a dirt bike to scout out animals for the other poachers to shoot.
- Berserk Button:
- Ringo tries to attack Jessica when she disrespects his mother because Even Bad Men Love Their Mamas.
- Jessica after she is raped and tied to the hood of the truck.
- Victor when Ringo is killed.
- Big Bad: Victor is leader of the gang of Crazy Survivalist poachers
- The Black Smith: Sparky repairs the poachers' truck, and assembles their equipment.
- Cool Car: The poachers' truck has a custom paintjob and large exhaust pipes straight from Mad Max.
- Desert Punk: Ringo has spiky blond hair and wears a cutoff shirt, boots and leather pants.
- Egomaniac Hunter: Victor gets a strong sense of enjoyment when butchering kangaroos, and later when stalking Jessica.
- Evil Poacher: The gang of unlicensed hunters.
- Faux Affably Evil: The Sociopath Victor wears neatly pressed safari suits and affects upper class mannerisms, buut he is the most brutal of the poachers.
- High Voltage Death: Ringo is killed when he swings from a powerline to a patch of ground soaked in water.
- Hunting the Most Dangerous Game: The sadistic game played by the poachers on Jessica, which gets turned around on them when Jessica fights back.
- Land Down Under: The movie is set in rural Australia.
- Kick the Dog: The poachers kill and skin a sheep to terrify Jessica.
- MacGyvering: Jessica constructs improvised traps to kill the three poachers.
- Obligatory Earpiece Touch: One assassin sent to eradicate Kate and her squad of bodyguards knows that his surviving targets are aware they're in mortal danger, and he needs to know Detective Kirkpatrick's location from his cohorts, who are using thermal imaging to track their victims. This assassin repeatedly asks, "Where is Target Three?" while holding his earpiece, because this intel is critically needed. The response is "He's right in front of you!" Sure enough, the assassin looks up to see Kirkpatrick firing bullets into him.
- Panty Shot: Ringo takes a photograph up Jessica's skirt when she is Going Commando. When she wrecks his camera, Ringo says his Ma bought it for him. Jessica tells him to take pictures of his mother.
- Police Are Useless: When Jessica reports the poachers for harassment, the local sheriff dismisses their antics as a harmless prank.
- Rape and Revenge: Jessica's response to what the three poachers do to her, setting up traps to immobilize and kill them.
- Rape as Drama: The gang of poachers viciously assault Jessica when she sabotages their truck, leading to the above revenge.
- Sarcastic Title: A reference both to hunting, and to the unfair things inflicted on Jess.
- The Savage South: In this movie, the Outback is portrayed as an inhospitable desert full of gun-toting rapists, Good Old Boys, and an incompetent police force.
- Vapor Wear: Jessica's dress in the opening scenes, and the tight spandex stealth suit she later wears.
- Wicked Cultured: Subverted. Victor buys the paintings of birds to use as targets.