"No mere mortal can resist... the e-vil of the Thriller!"
A thriller is a genre in visual media and literature which focuses on action, fast pacing, tension, and suspense. The conflicts
are usually between desperate heroes and powerful antagonists who outmatch them by a large margin. Frequent location changes, time shortage
, and Cliffhangers
are extremely common.
Thrillers can overlap with almost any other genre. They are more defined by their plot and devices than by their content. They can be identified by the thrills
the work gives to the reader or viewer.
Modern incarnations of Thrillers seem to overlap more and more often with the Horror
and Science Fiction
genres, leading to a misclassification of all Thrillers as being Horror, Science Fiction, or both.
Not to be confused with either the Michael Jackson album
or the old Boris Karloff
-hosted anthology series, nor yet the 1970s British anthology series. Although the Michael Jackson music video does
slightly fit in.
Tropes often associated with the genre
Anime and Manga
- 28 Days Later, overlapping with Horror.
- The Black Dahlia
- The Bourne Series, overlapping with Action.
- The Conspiracy, overlapping with Horror.
- The Dark Knight Saga is a Thriller mixed with superhero and neo-noir. Each of the movies qualifies in different ways:
- The Hunt for Red October
- Jacob's Ladder, overlapping with horror.
- Jurassic Park, overlapping with Horror and Science Fiction.
- Kindergarten Cop, overlapping with comedy.
- The Call
- The Matrix, overlapping with Cyberpunk.
- The Purge, overlapping with Horror and Science Fiction.
- The Quiet
- The Roommate
- Reservoir Dogs, overlapping with Crime And Punishment.
- Runaway Jury, overlapping with Crime and Punishment, and Law Procedural.
- The Silence of the Lambs, overlapping with Horror.
- The Sixth Sense
- Strangers on a Train
- Ties That Bind 2006, overlapping with Drama.
- Ties That Bind 2010, overlapping with Mystery and Crime.
- The Transporter, overlapping with Action.
- Scandal, overlapping with politics and drama.