"No mere mortal can resist... the e-vil of the Thriller!"A thriller is a genre in visual media and literature which focuses on action, fast pacing, tension, and suspense. The conflicts are usually between desperate heroes and powerful antagonists who outmatch them by a large margin. Frequent location changes, time shortage, and Cliffhangers are extremely common. Thrillers can overlap with almost any other genre. They are more defined by their plot and devices than by their content. They can be identified by the thrills the work gives to the reader or viewer. Modern incarnations of Thrillers seem to overlap more and more often with the Horror and Science Fiction genres, leading to a misclassification of all Thrillers as being Horror, Science Fiction, or both. Not to be confused with either the Michael Jackson album or the old Boris Karloff-hosted anthology series, nor yet the 1970s British anthology series. Although the Michael Jackson music video does slightly fit in.
Tropes often associated with the genre
- Mad Lib Thriller Title
- The Reveal
- Title In: Used to make sure the audience doesn't get confused by frequent location changes.
open/close all folders
Anime and Manga
- 28 Days Later, overlapping with Horror.
- The Black Dahlia
- The Bourne Series, overlapping with Action.
- Cold Comes the Night, a crime thriller.
- Cold Sweat
- The Conspiracy, overlapping with Horror.
- The Dark Knight Saga is a Thriller mixed with superhero and neo-noir. Each of the movies qualifies in different ways:
- Everly-overlapping with action.
- Ex Machina, overlapping with Science-Fiction.
- The Hunt for Red October
- Jacob's Ladder, overlapping with horror.
- Jack's Back, overlapping with Supernatural Thriller.
- Jurassic Park, overlapping with Horror and Science Fiction.
- A Lonely Place to Die
- Kindergarten Cop, overlapping with comedy.
- No Escape
- No Tears for the Dead
- The Call
- The Matrix, overlapping with Cyberpunk.
- Open Grave, overlapping with Horror.
- Perfect Assassins, overlapping with Action and Mystery
- The Purge, overlapping with Horror and Science Fiction.
- The Quiet
- The Roommate
- Reservoir Dogs, overlapping with Crime And Punishment.
- Runaway Jury, overlapping with Crime and Punishment, and Law Procedural.
- The Silence of the Lambs, overlapping with Horror.
- The Sixth Sense
- Strangers on a Train
- Ties That Bind (2006), overlapping with Drama.
- Ties That Bind (2010), overlapping with Mystery and Crime.
- The Transporter, overlapping with Action.
- The Guest , overlapping with Mystery and Action.
Live Action TV