Major Charles Rane Is Coming Home To War!A 1970s action thriller directed by John Flynn, cowritten by Paul Schrader, and starring William Devane and Tommy Lee Jones.It's the story of returning Vietnam War veteran Major Charles Rane (Devane), who has spent the last seven years in a POW camp. He comes home to find his wife has moved on and his son doesn't remember him. His home town is determined to give him a homecoming and presents him with a number of gifts including silver dollars, one for each of his days in captivity. A group of rednecks attempt to steal his money and then murder his wife and son. Major Rane vows revenge...
This movie contains examples of:
- Cool Shades
- Firing One-Handed: A necessity for Rane, because he only has one hand.
- Handicapped Badass: Rane gets his hand shredded on a trash disposal by the rednecks when they steal the silver dollars. He uses a hook hand (which he sharpens to a table-and-head penetrating point) for the rest of the film, and loses very little capacity to kick ass because of this.
- Roaring Rampage of Revenge
- Shell-Shocked Veteran: Major Charles Rane and his buddy Sergeant Johnny Vohden
- The Stoic: Rane. He's so shell-shocked that his hand getting shredded makes him have flashbacks to his torture as a POV, but absolutely no external response (like screaming).
- Tranquil Fury