Tommy Lee Jones
(born 1946 in San Saba, Texas) is an American actor. He was little known until his big breaks in 1990s, where he scored roles in three blockbuster films: The Fugitive
, Batman Forever
, and Men In Black
. He fell off the radar for a few years until his resurgence with No Country for Old Men
He tends to play snarky, grumpy, and usually very Badass
He was also Al Gore
's roommate at Harvard. Figure that one out. And in case you've managed to wrap your head around that, according to author Erich Segal (who attended Harvard at the same time), the hero of his novel Love Story
was based on a fusion of the two of them.
Roles of Note:
- Academy Award: Winner for The Fugitive, and nominee for JFK, In The Valley Of Elah, and Lincoln.
- Badass: His characters are rarely anything but.
- Big Ol' Unibrow
- The Cast Showoff: He is fluent in Spanish and speaks it in some of his films.
- Cool Old Guy: Very much one, both in real life and quite often in character as well.
- Cowboy: In Real Life as well as some of his roles. He owns at least two ranches, one of which was the setting for The Three Burials Of Melquiades Estrada, a film he also directed and starred in.
- The Comically Serious: When cast in comedic roles, he tends to be this (barring Batman Forever).
- Deadpan Snarker: Practically an artform when he is doing it. No one can get across sarcasm like TLJ.
- Disapproving Look: Pretty much his default expression. Also known as the "Implied Facepalm".
- Hidden Depths: He is a graduate of Harvard University and a good friend of Al Gore.
- Japandering: Played an alien disguised as himself in a series of Boss Coffee ads.
- I Am Not Leonard Nimoy: Since nearly every role of his tends to be a grumpy fellow, it's often joked that he's just playing himself.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold
- Knight in Sour Armor: Also quite frequently.
- Large Ham: His performances in Under Siege and Batman Forever can go ham-to-ham with anybody.
"Four minutes ahead of schedule. Damn, I'm good."
- Silent Snarker: To wit◊
- Stock Shout Out: Variations of the following:
"What I want from each and every one of you is a hard-target search of every gas station, residence, warehouse, farmhouse, henhouse, outhouse and doghouse in that area."
- The Stoic: Most of his characters.
- Younger Than They Look: Has always looked between ten to fifteen years older than he actually is, though nowadays he's starting to look his age. This actually allowed him to be cast in Space Cowboys with Clint Eastwood; despite ranging from 12-20 years younger than his three castmates, his character was portrayed in the same age bracket as them.